first issue for you to help with, 85 vf700f

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by majette, Apr 22, 2014.

1. majette

majette New Member

hi all. just got the bike last weekend and it has a few things to address before i can get it on the road. first thing is the left side handlebar reservoir was zip tied on. the screws were broken and after the bike has sat for a few years the dot4 fluid had dried and caked up. here is what the unit looks like after we blew out the dried fluid:

[​IMG]

the clutch lever works fine, what would be the best way to clean this and the line out? any concerns as to the clutch itself? any help and detailed fix info is greatly appreciated!

2. MPH Racing

MPH Racing New Member

Canada
    Map
    Toss it and get another one off E-bay or a bike wrecker that thing is done. By the time you try and get the screws out and try and clean it out you're better off just replacing it.

3. HONDAHAWK

HONDAHAWK New Member

Map
    MPH is right - that reservoir is a mess. Its a real pain to try and drill and tap those as the busted bolt is harder than the surrounding metal. I would say you should expect some clutch issues too - there are O-rings on the slave cylinder that will usually leak if the fluid has gotten that bad. You should disassemble it and clean there.

4. majette

majette New Member

looks like we will source one from ebay, the attempt to remove the broken screws did not go so well.

5. majette

majette New Member

also, are the only donors for this the first gen vf700f/vf750f models or will some other v45 models have this same part? and looking at the service manual once the slave cylinder is checked the oil seals need to be replaced. where can an oil and piston seal be sourced from?

6. Lobotomy

Lobotomy New Member

Canada
  7. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    So at least you tried ! I can't afford to bin any part that can be saved, even using epoxy !

8. majette

majette New Member

reservoir replaced and clutch system bled. BUT the shift lever does not have a lot of resistance. we did not start the bike as the fuel tank is undergoing a rust removal process, maybe the bike will have to run to build up pressure?

9. Lobotomy

Lobotomy New Member

Canada
    I found that these things are not the easiest to bleed for the clutch.
    I think last time it took a couple of tries, I pulled the slave and compressed the piston and
    held it in with a pair of vice grips that I have, bleed then reattached the slave. Be careful retightening
    the bolts for the slave they can strip very easily and be sure to put the bolts back in the same spot
    as 1 bolt is different.

10. majette

majette New Member

thanks for the info. has this process been done by anyone else or is there another way to bleed this system?

11. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    That method usually works, but if it doesn't, you can use a large syringe to inject fluid into the bottom bleeder. (Reverse bleed.) It usually helps to bleed the master at its banjo bolt first before trying to pressurize the system.

As lobo points out, it's critical not to over-tighten the bolts securing slave to sprocket cover !!!!!!!!!!

12. HONDAHAWK

HONDAHAWK New Member

Map
    I remember after I completely disassembled my 86 clutch I was squeezing for a what seemed like an eternity and it wouldn't prime - it was air locked.
    You can let it sit for a bit after filling the reservoir and attempting to bleed it - repeating the process a couple times like mentioned above or use a brake bleeder vacuum pump to speed the process.
    When it is air freed you should definitely feel resistance when squeezing clutch lever.

13. majette

majette New Member

Ok, my buddy and I took apart the slave cylinder and used compressed air to get the piston out. It had some dried brake fluid and a little rust on the inside of the slave cylinder and gunk on the piston. We cleaned it out and it was hard to reassemble. Took it back apart and polished the inside LIGHTLY and reassembled. Tried bleeding it and no go. Then I had an idea, took it back off and left the banjo bolt connected. Pressed in the clutch and the piston moves slightly out and in, I guess like it should. We removed the long rod it butts up against and checked it, put the rod back in and tried to press it in but it won't move. Maybe the clutch plates are stuck? We reassembled the slave cylinder and tried to bleed it again. Still no engagement and now fluid seeps from the slave cylinder drain hole. Will I need a new oil seal and piston seal? If so where can I find these?

14. majette

majette New Member

Disregard. We had the piston in backwards, reassembled like the manual showed and 5 minutes later clutch system bled and working as normal. I swear the piston came out of the slave cylinder backwards...

15. MPH Racing

MPH Racing New Member

Canada
    Map
    Did you get the bike from Australia ?? they do everything upside down and backwards.

16. majette

majette New Member

got it running and enjoying the bike. my buddy and i noticed some fluid seeping from the bottom of the slave cylinder, is it time to replace the seals or is the slave cylinder itself bad?

17. HONDAHAWK

HONDAHAWK New Member

Map
    Rebuild kit should be the ticket. They were still available for twenty bucks or so for my 86 when I encountered the same issue last year. You get a piston seal, an o-ring, and a spring. Google "VFR700 clutch slave cylinder rebuild kit".