Don Guhl re-flash on the 2013 F, yes it is awsome

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by dynajohn, Apr 22, 2014.

1. dynajohn

dynajohn New Member

Map
    :smile-new: I recieved and installed my re-flashed 2013 VFR1200F ECU from Don Guhl today. Guhl removed the power restrictions from 1st, 2nd & 6th gears, removed the 148 MPH speed restriction, raised the rev limit 500 RPM's, lowered the coolant fan temp setting from 223 F to 203 F, and removed the FI fault code when you remove the exhaust servo. Everything works as advertised. The traction control was not affected by the Guhl re-flash, it works the same as before the ECU was re-flashed. I removed the Bazzaz Zbomb and got full power in 1st & 2nd gear plus I got my fully functional gear indicator back. Nothing negative to report here just a cooler running more responsive bike. I will be going back to the dyno ASAP to quantify what I feel riding the bike.

2. cruzmissile

cruzmissile New Member

United States
    When Guhl 'removed' the restrictions.....do you know how far he went?

In other words, if the fuel was restricted to say 40% in first gear up to 4000 rpm, is it now limited to 75% up to 3000 rpm before you 100%??

3. dynajohn

dynajohn New Member

Map
    The restrictions to power in 1st, 2nd & 6th gears were to how far open the throttle butterflys were allowed to open. He allows the throttle plates to open 100% now in all gears. I don't know whether the stock opening rate was changed. As you are aware this is a throttle by wire bike so the ECU has full control of both how far open and how fast the throttle plates respond . I would advise you to call him directly or go over to the 7th generation VFR discussion forum where Don has been answering questions directly.

This is a very capable company and they will continue to develop further features for the VFR 1200 re-flash if there is enough demand. For guys interested in having a re-flash include altering the stock fuel tables Guhl can import your dynojet fuel tables and install them directly into your ECU.

4. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    I'm on my way to see Don Guhl, I had to cancel last time due to a tornado. He's been wanting a downer bike to fine tune stuff and I've been looking for an excuse for a road trip, he's set aside the dyno for Thursday.
    I'm in Malone at the Red Roof Inn going over maps and looking forward to a full day of riding tomorrow on my way to his shop. I'll let y'all know if he's able to squeeze anything else out of the beast.

5. cutback

cutback New Member

Great news! Looking foreward to your report. I have been patiently waiting to hear that the top speed limiter has finally been removed, before I send my ecu in. I believe this is the only hick-up Don has encountered.

6. dynajohn

dynajohn New Member

Map
    Thanks for the help Robclo. Please keep us informed on any progress from your dyno session with Don.

7. cutback

cutback New Member

:pop2:Still waiting.......

8. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :pop2:
    Me too

9. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hi guys, sorry for being tardy, I'm back and trying to get caught up with life. Put over 2K KM's round trip, some great riding and some wet truck filled interstate sluggin.
    Don and Rob were great guy's and was nice to hang out with them for a few hours, unfurtunatly I left with only the generic reflash.
    Don was unable to get the DCT working on the dyno, it won't change gears unless the front wheel is spinning as fast as the rear, wheely protection I guess. As well, he had know way to bypass it without cutting and spicing and neither of us had the time to get into it.
    The flash has improved things and is definitely worth the $375 but there's gotta be a lot more there. Don was saying that ignition timing restricts the DCT more then the manual and that is still there and probably should be until the extra strain on things can be figured out. If anyone has a manual in his area I'm sure he'd love to get your bike for a day or so to play with the numbers.
    Wish I was able to post dyno results showing a new and improved flash, I believe Don will be able to once he creates something for the DCT that he can vary where things are plugged in to by pass stuff or he gets his hands on a manual.
    I love this bike, cheers.

10. cutback

cutback New Member

Well, I was hoping for a little better results. It doesn't sound like we have moved foreward on the top speed limiter removal....... I've been waiting long enough..... I've had a pcIII, pcv or Bazzaz on my last 15 bikes or so. Custom mapped, with excellent results. Ordered one this morning. Thanks to all who have posted up and given their time and efforts to evolving this bike to an even better bike.....

11. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    Don mentioned that he went the same root as the cbr100rr to remove the top speed limiter. He's heard from John that it doesn't look like it worked. Hopefully someone will be able to visit Don in the not to distant future with a manual.

12. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    I thnk the speed limiter is gone, Don mentioned he has approached it the same way he did with the CBR's.
    Going up a slight incline on a quick blast through the gears I saw a "6" turn over as a second digit the other day, that's in KM's. Didn't feel like there was too much left.
    I definely recommend the reflash, it's made a big difference smoothing out first and second, it pulls better before it takes off. Much better coming out of tight corners, but have to be carefull without TC.
    On another note, I had the valves services and the exuast ones had to be adjusted, that was at 26k KM's.

13. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi,
    I have a quick question because I'm thinking about doing the same with my 2010 VFR 1200F.

Do you have way too much power now to spin or wheelie easily in first or second because that's not what I want?
    I want easy controllable power.

How much does it cost?

Thank you

14. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    It only smooths things out, there is definely more low end grunt but not enough to light up the back tire or easily get the front tire up much. I am waiting patiently for the next upgrade which are always free. The original re-flash is $375. My vote is go for it.

15. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
    Thank you so much. I will do it for sure.
    I love everything about this bike except the throttle (gear restrictions issue).

16. HMG124

HMG124 New Member

Where is this guy located? I would totally give him my bike for a day or two if needed. Do you have to send him your ECU, or is a swap out program. Where and how do I contact him?

Thanks

17. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    He's 20 minutes south of Reading, PA.
    http://www.guhlmotors.com

It would really help him improve on the re-flash if you could leave your bike with him for a day or 2. Give Don a call, he/we will be excited to further optimize these big Viffers.

18. dynajohn

dynajohn New Member

Map
    Second that. We have been working on this re-flash since Dec 2013 with Don. He received my 2013 1200F model ECU that month and another 2010 F model ECU from California several months later. We were unable to find any 1200F owners in the northeast area willing to take Don a bike to beta test the re-flash so far. Since the DCT cannot be dyno tested he needs a F model.

19. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
    That would help thousands of VFR 1200 owners greately!! Most of us have that issue but Honda doesn't care (No shop in Utah (I checked 11 of them) knows anything about the issues or much about VFR 1200 in general) about it.
    Thank you

20. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map