All New Honda VFR 800 Review - the '98 Gen 5 that is

Discussion in 'VFR in the News' started by John451, Apr 26, 2014.

1. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    OK it's not for the 2014 but rather the '98 Gen 5 when it was new but check out this low key though excellent review by UK 2Wheels Jeff Stone of the '98 Gen 5 from the Day.

[video=youtube_share;wkO9V8dvAzQ]http://youtu.be/wkO9V8dvAzQ[/video]

Have to agree with his assesment on " it has this strange ability to be relaxed at any speed " and it's Interesting to hear him pointing out changes to the engine slimming it down, SSSA, still air bubble and pointing out details of the new CBS Brakes and can't argue about the end quote either " If ever there was a bike for all reasons and all seasons this is it. " :cool:

2. CitrusSinensis

CitrusSinensis New Member

Netherlands
    Map
  3. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Have seen that one before, unfortunately Google translate doesn't work on YouTube clips. :frown:

4. JimGregory

JimGregory New Member

I love that video. Funy my 98 has the same amount of miles.

5. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    huh, wonder what thinking what into the whole "PGM-linked brakes" sub sticker for EU vs just "Interceptor" for the US

6. 2wheelrush

2wheelrush New Member

United States
    Map
    Great video. Makes me want to get a 5th gen.

7. bugsinmyteeth

bugsinmyteeth New Member

Map
    I dunno... November 2014 Classic Motorcycle Mechanics has an article that says the 4th Gen VFR (in this case a 1997) is all the motorcycle you'll ever need and I believe the author owns a 5th gen. The story is that he got a chance to ride his brother's 1997 VFR750 and liked it better than his own 5th gen. Could just be "the grass is always greener" syndrome but he gave his reasons in the article. That is a great magazine, BTW, I just can't see spending the $60/yr for a subscription.

2wheelrush: update your profile so we can see what bike(s) you ride every time you post. I believe it will be beneficial to you any time you ask a bike-specific question.

8. 2wheelrush

2wheelrush New Member

United States
    Map
    Ya I have a 94 that I bought a year ago last august with only 7400mi. on it. Now after a year of riding it has 32,000. Probably just keep this one.

9. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    It's a close call, when I went from a 6th Gen in '05 I wanted a 4th Gen but after several back to back rides ended up preferring the 5th Gen but like I said it was a close call and in the end the difference came down to the 5th Gen I'd settled on had 2000 miles on it and the immaculate 4th Gen I was tossing it up with had 8000 miles....9 years and 50,000 miles on I'm still happy with my choice.

10. bugsinmyteeth

bugsinmyteeth New Member

Map
    2wheelrush: you have some interesting bikes in your stable. Do you ride the CBX much?

You seem to like your 4th gen vfr, at least you would know by now if you didn't, as many miles as you've put on it.

11. 2wheelrush

2wheelrush New Member

United States
    Map
    The Cbx I bought from the original owner back in 91 with 7,000 mi. Has 11,000 now. Been sitting in garage for years. I put 100,000 mi. on my concours in 6 and half years then I crashed.

12. bugsinmyteeth

bugsinmyteeth New Member

Map
    Did you have a preference between fuel injection vs carbs? I wonder which I might prefer. I think the fuel injection would be nice. The only fuel injected bike I ever rode was a Suzuki TU250 during my MSF course. Everyone else was fiddling with the choke and mine was idling nicely. The biggest issue may be throttle response. I have read where some thought the first gen throttle was too responsive so that if you went over slight bumps that made your hand rock back and forth it would goose the throttle.

13. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Not really though Fuel injection is generally less maintenance with only some quality injector cleaner added to the tank every so often. Oddly my stock '99 Gen 5 single hole Injection is much nicer than the 12 hole Gen 6 injectors I had before it noting my servicing mechanic balances the SVs every 12 month which seems to make the throttle off idle noticably crisper.