VFR with knobbies mounted / "The Adventureceptor"

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by blainerides, May 18, 2014.

1. blainerides

blainerides New Member

I posted this the other day over at expeditionportal and advrider and vfrd and thought some of you might appreciate the absurdity of my VFR mods, too:

Sooooooo, this is my fourth VFR in the last 12 years (previously owned VFRs, in order of ownership: a 2001, a 2002, a 1997, and I now currently have a 2003...). I LOVE the V4 engine to death. Not thump-y, not vibe-y, not whine-y...juuuuust right. Not that I don't love other engines, or won't have other bikes in the future, but the V4s just speak to me.

In addition to the aforementioned VFRs, I've also owned two Ducatis (a Monster and SS 750...), a Honda CBR1100XX "Blackbird"; (put 68,000 miles on it...), a heavily-modded KLR650 (1996 model - EVERY mod done to it, courtesy of Dual-Star, etc); a Kawasaki KZ550 LTD "cafe racer" (1982, baby); and a CBR 900RR.

I've always lusted after KTM 950s/990s (after many hours of lurking here on ADV), currently lust after the sexy F800 GS, and have rented/ridden/demo-ed many other BMWs (1200GSAs and R1200RTs) and Ducatis (Diavel Carbon, Multistrada GT/PP, etc). For 7 full years (June 2002-July 2009, I rode only my various motorcycles (no car, and no public transportation when it rained...), while living in the perpetually-misty-weather mecca of Seattle, WA. ;) After I got a car, I still didn't drive it that much, except for trips to the ski hill. I'm a two-wheeler for life (my grandparents met on motorcycles...bikes are in the Stockinger blood, I suspect...).

Point in babbling all that out, is to give you a frame of reference - a window into my mind. No, I'm not 20 (not that there's anything wrong with being 20...); no, I'm not "inexperienced" or reckless or stupid (well, at least not too often); and no, I'm not bat-**** crazy - at least not any crazier than most of the other Inmates here. A lot of you here do beautifully weird shit too, and have, in one way or another, inspired me. I'm not as rad as some of the lucky inmates here who have had longer "'round the world adventures" (or been around a few decades longer), but on top of dirt biking since age 6, I've accumulated around 125,000 miles on 10 street bikes, since I got my motorbike license in 2001 (not too shabby for only being 32). Because of my modest, but relatively broad motorbike experiences on several very different bikes, I've finally figured out what I want to explore on for a while. After many solo "adventure(ous)" rides on my Blackbird and VFRs (on Michelin Pilot Powers, nonetheless...) up on the dirt/clay/mud logging roads up around Darrington, WA and other side-roads off Hwy 20 (I grew up in Winthrop), and not dying or even crashing, I thought about putting some (as Ewan McGregor would put it...) "knobblies" on my current 6th-gen Honda VFR "sport touring" bike, to improve my chances of continuing my luck streak. Ah, but why butcher a sport touring bike and "Frankenstein" into an "Adventure" bike...?

Well, because:

A) I'm a ****in' AmeriCAN, so why the heck not try it for a summer?;

B) because she's been down a few times already (previous owner) and has some cosmetic flaws, so she's a good test subject;

C) because the VFR is such a wonderfully universal combination of desirable Honda reliability, chassis robustness, bodywork style, header routing (they "protect" the oil sump!), and of course that smooth and torque-y V4 powerplant;

D) because I have enough student loans to keep me married to just one bike for at least the next five years (if you have kids, DO NOT let them go to college, unless you can pay cash for it!); and

E) because I believe, like the story of your own life, an "Adventure" bike is defined by where YOU make it (let it?) take you.

If there's a perfect "inappropriate" bike out there to try it on, she's it.

I'm posting a few introductory pictures. The real "adventure" season is just now upon us up here in Seattle (I pretty much just commute to work November through April), and I JUST got the TKCs on last week/300miles ago, so this will be my posting place for ongoing adventures here in the PNW.

For those shaking their heads, I'm not trying to turn this classy lady into a brute. No increased-suspension-travel mods (hmmm, not yet...but if Jamie Daugherty can make it happen, I'll do it.), no spoked wheels, and no starry-eyed imagery of this beast jumping tree stumps. This is being predominantly used as a two-up (125lb wife) paved road/rough paved road/dirt Forest Service road/muddy logging road "exploring machine". We/I might hit some easier WABDR sections (probably NOT the rougher Packwood to Ellensburg segment), in the mid-to-late (drier) summer months (can't ford more than 18" or so). For a quick overview, these are the notable "dirt road" modifications, so far:

1) Continental Twinduro TKC80s front and rear (surprised at how solid they are on pavement, actually - though it is a huge change in "feel" from Michelin PP's, but not scary at all).

2) Rear suspension shimmed up 7/8" and front fork tubes dropped down 7/8" for equally increased ride-height front and rear (need that extra ground clearance!).

3) Pro-Taper 1-1/8" Contour bars on riser shims (drilled/mounted at top fork plate).

4) -1 F / + 2 R sprockets for more "git 'er goin'" down-low grunt when things get loose or technical. The torque is now more accessible at starting RPMs, though this increases revs at cruising speed of 85, but oh well. Will try it for a bit.

5) Adjustable MRA Vario windscreen to get air up and over my increased upper-body profile, due to dirtbike riser bars (sitting more upright, now).

6) Oxford "Rider Grips" strap-on belt aka "oh-shit-he's accelerating-to-redline-on-the-on-ramp-again" handles, so the wife is more comfortable (she LOVES them), when the inevitable evasive maneuvers happen and/or we want/need to lay down rubber ;)

7) Luggage: Small magnetic tank bag, OEM Honda/Givi side cases (I mean, "crash protection system"), and Givi E52 top case (with Admore LED lighting kit). We need lots of storage room for extended adventures. The top case lights AND standard turn signals are hooked up to custom "hazard flasher" (thanks to http://www.murphysmotorworks.com/VFR/) system. If **** breaks down, we have lots of flashy lights to be visible on the side of the road. Top rack on trunk for carrying two rolled-up sleeping pads and lashing down lightweight things like an extra jacket.

8) On-board: Expanded tool kit, medical kit, tubeless tire flat repair kit, extra fuel, Fiskars X15 #7857 23.5" axe (for removing fallen trees from rarely-traveled roads), 3-gal dromedary bag and water filter, extra clutch and front brake lever, etc.

9) Sargent Cycle double-custom seat...modified for wife's booty, with extra extra thick foam to raise her UP 1.5" for better view, and contoured, so she has a neutral saddle and stays put.

There is not a lot of acreage on a VFR (when compared to the gold standard BMW GSA or KTM 950/990/1190AdvR, and I generally prefer not putting up with pork-y motorbikes, ever, so I've tried to be very conscious of only bringing what is necessary, to save space and improve handling as much as possible. I plan on upgrading suspension front and rear, later this year or this coming winter, but for now, stock will have to do. Stay tuned for updates on mods (possibly a skid plate!!!), and reports on performance as the summer progresses. Happy trails, y'all, and hopefully we'll see some of you at the Touratech/Overland Rally (in Plain, WA) at the end of June!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Aboot 1:10 into this clip, Tom Cruise makes the quickest change from street tires to knobbies ever done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzIQg6Ly_Rw

Next we will hear from some of the horny old dudes here who think they still have it by using one liners that are old even in Renton.. ;)

3. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Now that is an adventure bike, I like it.

4. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Can't wait to see pics of your VFR slinging mud!

5. jev.

jev. over there

Sweden
    Very cool! Looks like it'd be fun.

6. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

I don't know where some of you get your avatars, but jev, DAMN ... :drool: ...

Oh yea, interesting bike :) ...

ACE

7. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Jev is our President :pound:
    You need to sign up for insider :thumb:
    Yes saw the artical in ADV
    Very cool :rockon:

8. MPH Racing

MPH Racing New Member

Canada
    Map
    Ran a duel purpose rear on my 85 500 as it was my only way to work in the winter of 86 and other then freezing my butt off in -30C some days it worked great in the snow and slush. Love the what you're doing to the bike for what you're going to use it for.

9. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Jev's avatar next calendar cover pic!!!

10. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    IMGP0315.jpg IMGP0311.jpg IMGP0292.jpg IMGP0295.jpg IMGP0300.jpg IMGP0314.jpg I get think a vfr could be a adventure bike-stock height is fairly high, I would go for a scotts damper for sure. Heated grips, ZG touring in clear. Most of my mods also work on rough roads-but I still want to lean on black top roads.

11. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I like it. Building a V4 adventure bike was option I considered when rebuilding me last VFR

12. nearfreezing

nearfreezing New Member

United States
    Map
    When you log some miles and get a chance, let us know how the VFR handles offroad.

13. Vinman

Vinman New Member

Map
    Wait a second...is your wife wearing dirty Uggs?

I look forward to hearing bout your adventures. If you ever make it to northern California let me know...

14. blainerides

blainerides New Member

Vinman, the fashionista. Hmmm. I find it slightly strange that my wife's BOOTS are what you picked up out of all that I posted (I mean she has an amazing butt - you could have at least made a lewd comment about that). She HATES Uggs (sorry if someone's daughter or wife has a pair...) and doesn't think too terribly much of the folks who wear them, so you pretty much couldn't have picked a worse insult. They're oiled leather Merrells, by the way: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/merrell-haven-autumn-waterproof-boot/3515097

We need to get her "proper" riding boots, but she's comfortable in them, has nice Alpinestars gloves that are protective and allow her to comfortably hang on for dear life, a level-2 D3O back pad (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-d3o-viper-t5-pro-back-protector) in her Dainese jacket (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-womens-alice-textile-jacket) with elbow and shoulder protectors, and an Arai helmet. Better, more protective boots are next...

15. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I like the tires you put on-it would seem a adventure bike is only a tire change away for my bike-but I really like those smooth riding M5 tires-great in rain too, my boots were red when I got them-I didn't like red-I panted them black. A damper is req really for a adventure bike-you hit one really bad rock or rut and your front end will wash out that's where a damper will save your butt-=it all so helps with shock hitting your hands.:bull_head:

16. blainerides

blainerides New Member

Is there a damper that works with my handlebar set-up? Look close. I have mounts drilled in to my top clamp plate...

17. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I don't know but scotts may have a setup for those bars. You would have to check. Scotts works with helibars but yours is different, call them.:topsy_turvy:

18. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I dig that set up. Nice job. And your wife does have a cute butt. :redface:

19. blainerides

blainerides New Member

Thank you, Pliskin, she works her butt off (puts booty on?) for it ;)

Can't wait to get some miles in the mud on the WABDR this weekend. It's going to legen-wait for it-DIRTY. LEGENDIRTY!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

20. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    You could paint those Boots Black -then nobody would know they are rubber boots. I called scotts -my damper was a little off-now its set right -just a 1/4 turn off on the emergency circuit-that's for big shocks. scotts is the only one that has three different hydro lines in it.:smokin: