Shorai LiFePO4 battery (long term test follow-up)

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by woody77, May 25, 2014.

1. woody77

woody77 New Member

United States
    Map
    A bit over 2 years ago, I put a Shorai battery into the bike, after yet another round of dealing with a dead battery after winter storage.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthre...y-(Lithium-Iron-Phosphate)-Install-and-Review

It's been fantastic since day one. But the real test was going to be this last year, while it sat unridden in storage for about 13 months. Last weekend I finally had a chance to get to the bike, and turn the key, and hit the switch.

The voltage meter read full voltage when I turned on the ignition. When I hit the starter, it was the same high-speed cranking-with-gusto that the battery had when freshly charged. It took a bit to refill the carbs, but it readily caught and ran. And didn't even run poorly.

I let it run for a few minutes, and then shut it down due to the usual fuel leak that shows up when the fuel-pipe o-rings sit dry for a while (happens after about 3 months).

Today I went by again, and started it again to check on the fuel leak. <2 sec to start, and again cranking with enthusiasm.

I really, really love this battery.

The charger, while nice, may not be needed at all (granted, this bike didn't seen below-freezing temps, as it was garage stored in Redwood City, CA).

2. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    Thanks for sharing that is great news. i read that those batteries had no self-discharge and your experience indicates that is true.

3. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I don't know how good that battery would be in cold Maine- I am sure when it got cold it might not start. I am using 5-40w oil now, next time I mix it with 10-40 Castrol power RS racing 4T. I use a battery tender all the time. I put it on my list of things to try, also the pipercross air filter.:tsk::twitch::bluesbros::flypig:

4. woody77

woody77 New Member

United States
    Map
    The LiFePO4 doesn't like cold, but Shorai claims that it can be self-warmed by waiting with the ignition on and letting the current to the headlight warm up the battery internals a bit. On a cool (40s) morning, my bike doesn't start as fast as on a 70-80 degree day, but still faster than it ever did with a stock Yuasa.

Jamie Daugherty has some experience with this type of battery (different manufacturer) in cold temps, and runs oversized batteries for better cold starting (more cells).

One thing that I really like about these batteries is that they also seem to let the R/R regulate better. The voltage is always spot-on, both at idle and while running down the road.

5. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    I bought the MMG Lithium Ion & have noticed the same thing. Rock solid 14.4-14.5 volts at all RPMs.

6. MrSleep

MrSleep New Member

United States
    Map
    I bought a Shorai for my Polaris Sportsman 500 (single cylinder) this winter. Even with the garage at 35 degrees it cranks the engine great. The voltage still varies quite a bit with rpm. If this one holds up well with all the winching and stop/starts I do then I will get one for the VFR when it needs a new battery. Which should be soon since it's a year old walmart battery!

7. woody77

woody77 New Member

United States
    Map
    At this point, I'm recommending these to all my friends as replacements for when their lead-acid batteries die. If the Hawk hadn't started well after sitting, it was going to get one, too. But that one did do pretty well, although it required some time on the tender to get it back to charged for starting.

8. nookiaz

nookiaz New Member

United States
    Map
    I got a R/R kit (Mosfet Kit FH020AA) from Roadsterscycle but didnt install it yet. I know, I know, it's a breeze. You may call me lazy. Anyways, I was thinking of getting the shorai battery & upgrading the R/R to Roadsterscycle's...sometimes this year.

9. woody77

woody77 New Member

United States
    Map
    For me, the Shorai (at it's price) isn't worth as a random upgrade, unless you know you're going to be storing it for a while (like in Montreal), or as a replacement for when the lead-acid fails. But yeah, the R/R replacement on the '86 at least was plug/play (and two bolts) after removing the seat...

10. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
  11. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I bought a shoria also the 2.2 pds version for $145-I lost 5.8pds of extra weight and the battery is also 1/3 stronger-charges faster-no need at all for a battery tender. I rate it at 5 stars!