Flapper mod+OEM air filter+snorkel mod,Pair valve unpluged!

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by sunofwolf, May 28, 2014.

1. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I just tried the Pair valve unplug trick -does this actually Help? I plugged up the Flapper too, and took the snorkel out. Do these mods really work?

2. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    You tell us...?

3. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    When taking the air box out-it looked a bit small to me and bugs were stopped by the oem filter-Looks a bit dirty-good to change. I changed the the filter-hit the throttles with gun mount, Took the snokel out-looked like it would get more air in without the snokel. I plugged up the flapper-could see no good that thing do -close off air to the engine-Now unplugging the Pair Valve-I don't know if that will help or not?:uncomfortableness: I think with the Pair Valve un plugged-the device doesn't work any more-most likely this is a good thing. I need to test the bike out.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  4. mlap5150

mlap5150 New Member

United States
    Map
    this.....

5. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    My biggest question is unplugging the Pair valve-has any one tried this and did it work or not? I think the flapper mod is very simple control of the air box -shutting off some air flow-I don't see how this would help anything. The snorkel mod too looks like the air box would get a bit more air in-that sound s good .:bandito:

6. thethaw

thethaw New Member

a must do....the low speed throttle response is choppy with all that crap plugging up the engine..lots smoother, controllable at low parking lot speeds, with these mods done....

7. Panettone192

Panettone192 New Member

Worked for me right from the start and fixed the low speed twitchy behavior along with the awesome intake sound i got from it. Definitely recommend, I have yet to see any downsides of these mods

8. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Well I took a 18 mile ride total in the dark, I put a emgo air filter in, snorkel removed+pair valve unplugged and flapper mod. Shot some gunk cleaner in intake, lube the throttle cable. It sounded like a lot more air was getting in the engine. The old air filter had 5500 miles on it and was a bit dirty with a bug or two, rock pebble too. It was a bit hard to start because of the carb cleaner. Once I started riding it seem to be a new machine with more power and sounded much better looks like I fixed it real good,. Low speed seemed better, I didn't use the vtec really too much, :ranger::mech:it was too dark outside to go very fast

9. MrSleep

MrSleep New Member

United States
    Map
    Just unplugging the PAIR valve actually leaves the PAIR valve open all the time. You want it closed. That's why they sell block off plates or just plug the hose from the air box. I tried it, eh, I put it back to stock and just worked on the mapping with pc3. **Individual results may vary**

10. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Honda just puts that shit there to make the bike harder for young males to afford the bike and to dumb down the torque/HP curve so people will by Yamaha instead.

You don't want to sell performance toys with too much performance ya know.

11. kj4eoz

kj4eoz New Member

Map
    I tried it on my 07 and it smooth the bike out but it seemed like the bike lost its grunt . I did not like it I went back to stock . From what I read there is no HP gain just helps with low speeds . I'm happy with the bike the way it is . but If it feels better to you then roll with it

12. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I get two different ideas on the Pair valve mod. Some say unplugging the plug closes the valve and some say it leaves it open. I saw one guy plug it up with marbles. It looks like I should hook up the plug again.?? this is confusing. She male pic for Bad Billy. 001177_542 (16).jpg :confused::confused:

13. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Maybe you should study the premiss behind how and why the system works. Then you can study how airboxes are designed and things like air velocity. Or you can just assume Honda engineers are just trying to pull a cruel joke on you.

14. kj4eoz

kj4eoz New Member

Map
    I say leave it be but that's just me

15. kj4eoz

kj4eoz New Member

Map
    ask yourself this . If you had never read about the mods would you have had any complaints about the bike the way it is ? if yes then do the mods . if no then leave it be .

16. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    For me these mods were an answer to prayers, so to speak. I liked the bike but hated the off idle snatchy throttle. I didn't want to spend $300+ on a Power Commander, but I didn't know any other solution. Then after a little research and reading and I found a website with an outline on the mods. The difference was substantial. I rode it this way for over a year. I even went back to "stock" just to see how it would be and it brought back the problems. Today I have done a 5th Gen(ish) starter valve sync and the little riding around my complex seems to have helped even more. I'll know more tomorrow.

17. Carolina06HondaRider

Carolina06HondaRider New Member

Stupid question: is there an aftermarket air box to replace the factory one? You know, maybe one that's a bit better designed?

18. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I am plugging it back in the pair valve mod doesn't seem too work as it should-being stuck open is not what I like.

19. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    What's wrong with the current design?

20. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I left everything stock and just did the PCV and it cured all my low throttle issues and made it smooth through out the range.