Planning a possible ride to Florida

Discussion in 'USA - South' started by mlap5150, Jun 2, 2014.

1. mlap5150

mlap5150 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey guys, I found out not too long ago that I have the whole week off around the 4th of July. I have some friends that live down in Florida so I was thinking on taking my VFR down there. My main issue is getting down there though since it is quite a hike from Michigan. I've had quite a bit of seat time on my VFR so far (owned for just over a year) but have never taken a trip nearly this long, so I'm a bit nervous about it (especially since I'd be going alone). Anyway here is kind of a tentative plan I laid out:

1. Leave Friday the 27th around 3pm (after work), trek from Dearborn, MI to Lexington, KY, mostly slabbing it on I-75.

2. Stay the night in Lexington, then leave in the morning. I realize this would be a good opportunity to zip over to Deals Gap so I was thinking of going through there then continuing going down south, probably stopping for the night at my buddy's in Jacksonville, FL.

3. Make my way down to Miami and stay a few days there.

4. Head back up to St. Augustine/Jacksonville and stay a few days.

5. Head back to MI on July 5th, probably stopping for the night somewhere along the way.

I realize this is ambitious so I'm unsure about this, I might save it for another time when I have more experience and a buddy or two to go with. Anyone care to offer some friendly advice?

My backup plan is to just travel around Michigan during that week and hit the highlights like Tunnel of Trees and Tahquamenon Falls, etc.

Cheers :drink:

2. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Get a scotts damper, install hard bags, check fork oil, add air in tires-nay-don't do any of this stuff just go go and ask Bad Billy his stops for the she males.:lever::party2::jason::tsk:

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Just go
    I took my VFR down to Baja and back
    riding offroad pot holes TOPE big freaking speed bumbs.
    She perform flawless :thumbsup:
    Go and have fun, the more you plan the more complication it get.
    Make sure the VFR is healthy, credit cards in hand, cell phone gas up and Gooooooo

4. mlap5150

mlap5150 New Member

United States
    Map
    Haha thanks for the kick in the ass, I really do need to think less and ride more. That trip down baja must have been epic! I've always wanted to go to cabo san lucas.

5. jev.

jev. over there

United States
    I would plan a little more time around deals gap so you can at least run the Cherohala Skyway and 28. Both better than deals gap btw. I'd also scrap my plans of riding to Miami from j-ville and back 'cause that's a looooong boring ride, and with only a week off, I think you'll be pushing too much to have a good time. I'd take a good plug kit with compressor, some basic tools with some electrical tape, spare fuses, and zip ties, and a credit card. And remember, most of the time, it's the journey, not the destination.

6. mlap5150

mlap5150 New Member

United States
    Map
    Cool, I'll check those places out. I don't think I'll skip Miami since my good friend who I rarely see anymore lives there. I get your point though I caged it down there once and the last few hours are a drag. I have 9 days total so I'm hoping to take my time and hit some good riding spots but also spend time with my friends down there (neither of them ride unfortunately).

7. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    get a aaa 200 mile tow card

8. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    I would not recommend it. That is going to be one grueling trip to make in only one week and the hot weather and holiday traffic won't help either. Even if you took the quickest direct route on the interstate you are looking at almost 2800 miles round trip to Miami and back. If you are new to long distance riding you'll be extremely lucky to get 500 miles in per day. Even if you manage to squeeze in a few extra hundred miles more per day you'll still need plenty of breaks to stretch your legs and hydrate yourself which means you are looking at least minimum of 4 to 5 days of round trip travel time alone and that is excluding any detours you decide to make to Deals Gap or other places along the way. I promise you will be sore and tired by the time you get there and you won't be able to enjoy yourself long enough before you have to turn around and go back. That is a miserable trip in a car and I don't think you truly understand how physically and mentally demanding the trip will be for you on a bike. As I mentioned before there will be plenty of traffic since it is a holiday weekend so don't expect to get there quickly unless you plan on doing most of your travel late at night or very early in the morning. You might also need to factor in an oil change and new tires depending on how old your existing tires are now.

Rollin

9. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Like others are saying here the ride to there and back will be brutal when you take into account the hot weather, traffic and boring highways.

Seeing as how you don't want to skip Miami I would advise to book a flight to there and rent a motorcycle there. I did a quick google and found this place that rents motorcycles: http://www.americanrider.net/EN-Motorcycle-Rental-Miami

That would maximize the fun factor right there and if the cost is a factor check out hotwire.com they can find good flight deals. Good luck!

10. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Those guys are wimps, Randy could do that trip like nothing and he's a lot older may fall down a few times-that just lets him know its time to stop. If you go like 85 it would take you four days tops. Gee I did a 1200 mile trip once in less than 2 days in a old 64 SS impala 327 with a 2 sp auto-100mph the whole way that's just 12Hr of driving:pound:

11. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    If you make it down to sunny South FL. PM me and you can use my garage. St Augustine is nice btw. Miami is well, Miaimi.

12. mlap5150

mlap5150 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I think the voice of reason is prevailing and I'm going to save this trip for another time when I can get another week or so off from work and take my time. I remember during college driving straight down from MI to Miami, it was absolutely brutal (~21 hours I think)...and I only got to spend like 3-4 days down there. Between NC, Miami, and St. Augustine I definitely want to spend more than just a couple days in each. So I'll probably end up proceeding with plan B which is a big tour of northern MI, especially the UP.

Joey - I never considered a rental, that's actually a pretty good idea. I'll have to look into it and see if the price is right.

ridervfr - Really appreciate the offer, I might have to take you up on that at some point. This trip along with Biketoberfest are on my to-do list so I'll make it down there eventually.

13. risgett

risgett New Member

Map
    When you do make the trip, let me know ahead of time. I live in SC, but have a vacation place in the NC mountains. I can come up and ride with you on the dragon(or show you some better roads IMHO) and also can provide road side assistance if you breakdown within a couple hours of me. I tried to meet up with another member a couple of years ago when he was passing through, but my father-in-law passed unexpectedly and I had to head out of town for the funeral.:dread:

14. mlap5150

mlap5150 New Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds good, will do. Sorry to hear about your father in law.

15. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    "Voice of reason"............. What a wimp! Just mount that beautiful bike of yours and go!
    J/k. 2800 miles in a week are very do-able. I wouldn't hesitate if I had that much time available, but that's just me.

16. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    :bandito::frog::senor::smokin:That's what I said too, Get on it and Go Heck the VFR is a Cadillac of sport bikes