Mechanical assistance

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by 750, Jul 13, 2014.

1. 750

750 New Member

Hey guys

I got my bike back from the shop, thermostat replaced, carbs balanced. It still won't turn over without a bit of throttle though - any ideas? I'm thinking dirty carbs, if so...shall I remove and clean or just put a cleaner through there?

Also, to remove the rear shock, is there any hints or tips?

2. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    It is normal to require choke enrichment to start when the engine is cold. If the choke doesn't seem to work and you have to open the throttle to start from cold, then the enrichment jets are likely clogged. A chemical cleaner might work if you are lucky, but a clogged choke jet usually requires a #12 electric guitar string pushed thru...

3. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Wonder how the choke cable is adjusted, its possible that it is not fully engaging the lever. Just throwing something oot there. Good luck and keep us posted.

4. 750

750 New Member

I had the bike in the shop and they took it to bits, I checked the choke cable and it seems to be pulling the rotor thing at the other end just fine.

Is it a perilous and potentially very expensive job to clean the carbs? I'm hoping it' just a case of:

fuel take off
    air box off
    top of the carb casing off
    spray in some cleaner

Would that be about right? I don't mind taking things to bits at all, just don't wanna cost myself if it's overly fragile.

5. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Clening the cab is easy but take them off and put evrything back on is a pain in the :ass:
    If you have a manual and like to watch youtube it help......But required patient. Good luck

6. jev.

jev. over there

United States
    Yeah, it's not just spraying cleaner in them. It's removal, take bowls, slides, and jets out and thoroughly clean with wire or jet cleaners combined with spray carb cleaner and hopefully compressed air to blow through some of the carb passages. If you're gonna pull them, might as well be thorough. Like scuba said, it's a pain to remove and really a pain sometimes to re-install the carbs, but it's beats the heck outta paying someone to do it.

7. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    I came to this threat because of Jev's Avatar :pound:
    :boobies6:
    Ok back to the topic...!

8. 750

750 New Member

Haha it is a pretty good avatar! Any tips on getting the carbs off the bike and back on? I've read that the pipe the carbs go back on to can break quite easy?

9. jev.

jev. over there

United States
    Just lube the boots and I always start with the front bank, get them seated, and push the rear bank in. I have had to persuade them with a dead blow hammer though.

10. jev.

jev. over there

United States
    As for off, just lightly pry them with a pry bar or large screwdriver. VERY CAREFULLY.

11. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    NEVER remove the alloy airbox base from the carb set.......unless you must replace leaking fuel crossover tubes' O-rings !!! Typically, carbs can't be properly repaired or cleaned by first-timers, and it often takes 2 or 3 or more tries. You MUST read and UNDERSTAND the relevant section in the FSM before starting work. Do not soak them in Marmite and ale.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  12. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I would send them to SquirrelMan if I were you, then you would be assured of a tip-top job. Postage may be a little expensive though since your on the other side of the pond. Never ever remove the top plate where the velocity stacks are, like "he" said aboove. :wave: EICHHOERNCHEN

13. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    ^^ Cost-prohibitive but a good suggestion nevertheless. Need to keep my hands busy as jev's avatar has them restless and headed for trouble !

14. NormK

NormK New Member

There is some very detailed info here somewhere that takes you through every step of carb removal, cleaning and re fitting. Best you find it and read it carefully and ask questions if you are not sure. Put into the search function " cleaning carbs" and you will get a truckload of info

15. 750

750 New Member

Thanks guys, already read another thread about this where someone removed the top plate and cracked it, welded it etc...ugh, ballache!

I'll be getting myself fully prepared, carb cleaner, wire, notepad, camera, guide (once I find it!)

Any favoured grease for the boots or can I just use generic stuff?

16. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    Look for thread on cleaning carbs by the one who cuts toes:

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/22449-Cleaning-carbs

It is not difficult but you have to pay attention to small details and not be rushed, also check and verify all openings are clean and clear and open to the right diameter using calipers, micrometer, wires and rods, guitar strings, etc...

17. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    You cracked WHAT!!! Chit Mon (Jamaican accent here.) I would get a second pair of carbs in that case, call me obsesive compulsive, you may end up ok, but my crystal ball fortune telling days are not what they used to be :loco:

You can use "sex-lube" that you use in the bedroom, garage, restaraunt kitchen, back-alley. You get the picture? My logic is this: if it helps "insertion" and does not degrade a rubber/condom, its not gona fuk up your insulator/carb boots. Now, don't make the mistake of letting whom ever your using this stuff with see it in your filthy garage, because you won't hear the end of it. Don't axe me how I know this, I just do. Btw my garage is not filthy, just sounded good aboove. Keep a clean head and dont drink anything when your doiing your carbies. :thumbsup:

I bet this stuff I use on my swimming pool o-rings would work too, its some kind of "magic-lube." Sounds dirty huh :pound:

18. ThickToast

ThickToast New Member

United States
    Map
    Yep and after you got em back a-gether stop by for 2 years of bench/vacuum syncing help! lol

19. jev.

jev. over there

United States
    he didn't crack the plate. he said he read about someone doing it.

20. ThickToast

ThickToast New Member

United States
    Map
    ^^Man, those are some nice in's...^^