Power Commander Auto Tune Question

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by bandroidx, Jul 16, 2014.

1. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map
    Hi guys, I purchased a power commander V for my new to me 2003 VFR2003 to go along with the two brothers exhaust I bought. I have a few questions...

1) Does the power commander V allow you to enable VTEC at lower RPM's?

2) Do you have to hook up the speed and temp wiring (the manual makes them sound optional)

3) Which Auto tune do I need? The dynojet site has the single channel auto tune in the additional options for the VFR800 BUT I was under the impression the bike has 2 O2 sensors? I am guessing it uses just the rear o2 sensor?
    If I can use either single or dual channel o2 sensor auto tune, is there any benefit of getting the more expensive dual channel one?

4) is the auto tune worth it? It seems to me it makes sense to actually use the o2 data since its available (which the auto tune does) instead of just ignoring it completely which makes less sense to me (which seems to happen without it, using o2 sensor eliminators)

5) can the auto tune use an existing o2 sensor port? I really dont want to have to weld in the bung. I am hoping I can unscrew a stock one and screw in their wide band o2 sensor.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  2. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map
    Ok I think i have answered question #3 for my self.

I was getting confused since the bike has a front and rear o2 sensor, but it seems for a 4cyl bike you need the single channel. I believe the dual channel auto tune is only used for twin cylinder bikes so the autotune can adjust each cylinder individually.

3. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    1) Does the power commander V allow you to enable VTEC at lower RPM's? Not that I'm aware of.

2) Do you have to hook up the speed and temp wiring (the manual makes them sound optional) It needs temp input so I would say yes.

3) Which Auto tune do I need? The dynojet site has the single channel auto tune in the additional options for the VFR800 BUT I was under the impression the bike has 2 O2 sensors? I am guessing it uses just the rear o2 sensor?
    If I can use either single or dual channel o2 sensor auto tune, is there any benefit of getting the more expensive dual channel one? It comes with it's own wide band sensor.

4) is the auto tune worth it? It seems to me it makes sense to actually use the o2 data since its available (which the auto tune does) instead of just ignoring it completely which makes less sense to me (which seems to happen without it, using o2 sensor eliminators) It does make sense but mine doesn't seem to interface with my PCV and yet the bike runs great.....

5) can the auto tune use an existing o2 sensor port? I really dont want to have to weld in the bung. I am hoping I can unscrew a stock one and screw in their wide band o2 sensor. Yes it can.

4. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map

Excellent! thank you, i was concerned about #5, I didnt want to have to go through all the trouble of getting a o2 sensor bung welded in to the system.

Did the wide band 02 sensor that comes with the kit just thread right in where one of the stock honda o2 sensors went or did it need some kind of thread adapter?

Also, which o2 sensor did you replace with the wideband o2 sensor? I believe our bike has 2.

Thanks for the very helpful info!

5. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    The sensors will just thread into the existing bung. You can use either one of the existing locations and the other stock O2 sensor will need an O2 eliminator which can be bought or made quite easily.

6. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map
    Excellent! Hopefully the sucker will come out after 11 years LOL.

My power commander is supposed to come with o2 eliminators so I think I should be covered.

How did you guys grab temp and speed, just use positaps into the existing wiring?

7. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map
    is there a chance i will need to use a torch to remove the existing OEM o2 sensor? After 11 years i am wondering if the anti sieze will still be doing anything....

8. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    Soak the O2 sensor liberally with PB Blaster (walmart) twice daily for a week before you attempt to remove it. A little propane torch heat wouldn't hurt prior to the attempt, either~

9. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map
    great idea, i actually have some pb blaster near by. not to be a pita (i dont have a factory service manual yet) where are the o2 sensor located? behind one of the lower fairings? i havent been able to see them so far.

10. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map
    Hi guys, just an update, i got the PC V installed and the Autotune. I loaded a stock map (havent installed my exhaust yet) and it seems to be working well.

One odd thing I am hoping others with PC V and autotune might be able to help with. The VTEC activation with the PC V is now very violent. Its extreme. Before it was a nice power boost, now its like a massive jolt.

Is this normal?

I am not sure if its that

A) the PC V is giving me massive more power when VTEC engages.

B) The PC V is making RPM's below the VTEC activation weaker, making the VTEC activiation feel that much stronger

C) Something is totally fubared and i am messing up the bike.

11. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm not sure, but I seem to recall all I've ever read on here about the PC is that it smoothed the transition out, regardless of when the engagement was. I know might want to look into that since you are describing it as violent.

The last thing you'd want is to be mid turn and your Vtec kicks in like a turbo.

Might want to check it out.

12. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    My 2003 transitions smoothly on acceleration mostly in straight lines, I notice the change in sound and power.

13. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map
    Thanks for the input guys. I think I am going to disable the autotune and restore the stock map and see how it is.

oddly, now that you mention it, its at times smoothed out (possibly in specific gears, i need more test time) and other times violent.

I wonder if my autotune is causing issues.

One thing I wanted to ask, does our bike have a fresh air injection system into the exhaust? autotune is supposedly thrown off by this and your supposed to disable it. I realize now that if our bike has that, and I didnt disable it, perhaps its majorly throwing off the auto tune readings.

14. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    That would be the PAIR valve delete....

15. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map

Ahh, so then the air being injected via the pair valve is probably wants throwing off my autotune and giving my system trouble. i havent found the delete for 6th gen yet (found it for 5th gen) but will keep looking. thanks much.

16. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map
    I heard back from the power command tech guys i emailed earlier. They were quite helpful.

As far as disabling the PAIR valve they said to:

"Your bike certainly has a PAIR valve and it certainly needs to be disabled for Auto-tune to see accurate AFR from the wideband sensor in the exhaust. Lift your fuel tank and look at your airbox. You should see a hose coming out of the right side of the airbox that leads to the valve. Pinch or cork this hose. "

I believe that is the host coming off the top of the airbox. All i need to do is pinch or cork it? This is wildly easier than the 5th gen instructions i found which were quite involved. Is this all that is needed on 6th gen? Thanks!

17. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    There are 2 options:

1-plug the 2 hoses going into each head (a standard marble in the hoses willl do this)
    2-remove the entire PAIR system (not much more difficult than plugging it e cept requires block off plates)

obviously, option 1 is an easy test. You'll want to eventually remove the entire aystem at some point.

5th & 6th gen removal is exactly the same except for the physical location of the actual valve (rear of the engine on 6th gen, front of the engine on the 5th gen).

18. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map

Do I need to actually remove the entire airbox (or even the entire gas tank) to do this?

19. bandroidx

bandroidx New Member

Map
  20. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    Your life will be much easier if you remove the air box. Tank can be left attached if you place a pillow on the seat area & flip it around (top side still up).

Those are the blockoff plates. I just got mine this week~