Delkevic Stainless Exhaust System

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Braaahhnz, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Braaahhnz

Braaahhnz New Member

I bought my first VTEC this week for a bargain price, I know the downpipes need replacing so I bought some from Delkevic, their main operation is a 30 min drive from where I live and got a cash deal out of them.

I have the pipes and fitting kit, I have the service manual to guide me but is there anything I should know from anyone else's experience before I embark on this job?

2. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    I have a set of Delkevic headers on my 07. Wanted to delete the cats. Only advice - get new header gaskets and align everything first before finally tightening everything. I had to loosen everything to realign the pipes, unfortunately had to order new gaskets since they are one time use.

3. Braaahhnz

Braaahhnz New Member

Good advice REEK. Thanks.
    Is it easier to assemble the pipes first then fit them or get the pipes in place then fit the collector?

4. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Pictures please

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

5. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map

It's been a few years but I think I ended up getting everything on the bike, then doing multiple cycles of tighten alittle, adjust alittle, tighten alittle, adjust alittle, etc.

oh, yes, and pictures please.

6. jswisc

jswisc New Member

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread but since you two have used these systems for awhile, what do you think? I was going to order the slip ons. Is the full system the way to go? What PC?

7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    I Love my Leo's and have a PCV...uploaded a map from the other site VFRD....
    Ran the bike about four months with the baffles (stingers) out and loved the sound but thought it was a tad loud..Im no young pup so theres no hey look at me... varoom.
    actually I think my bike runs better with the stingers in. JMO

8. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    My leo's are pretty nice too. I too am riding with the baffles (stingers?) out. But the option for the stingers was why I bought them. I think I'm reaching that "not so young" sound tolerance level too. I've been experimenting by cutting down small lengths of the baffles until I get the sound I want. I'm pretty much down to the end nubs already but still sounds just alittle too quiet. Afraid to go any shorter since Leo Vince is no more in the U.S.

Not running a PC despite no cats. the Delkevic headers I bought had sensor bungs so I just re-installed them. runs good enough for me with no fueling issues. I guess I just like being a bad person and wanted the cats gone just because I could.

9. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Did you notice a huge performance jump with the kitty-less headers?

10. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    In retrospect, not really. I was expecting some noticeable feel atleast. It seems to rev alittle more freely but that might be all in my head. from what I gather, I don't think there's much flow resistance in the cats on the 6th gens. I forgot what the weight difference was when I weight them, but I remember that it did drop some weight. Knowing what I know, I'm not sure it was really worth the cost and trouble to change out the headers - atleast for my level of mods on my bike (minimal)

11. Braaahhnz

Braaahhnz New Member

No baffle removal then. I'm still working on the dirty girl, I only get an hour a night .... maybe. I mean the viffer not the missus.
    Cleaning as I go. What is the best way to get to the rear headers? I really don't want to remove too much but it looks as though I have to take off the rwar subframe according to the service manual. Would taking off the fuel tank and airbox be easier? Assuming the airbox is under the tank like on the 750.
    Sorry to be asking but this is my first time with her and I want to be gentle.

12. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't think there's any need to take the tank off. on a side note, the tank tilts back by the way. undo the front two bolts and the tank hinges back to let you access the air box.

anyway, take the rear wheel off and see what you can see. I don't remember if I took the rear subframe off, its been a few years and many beers since I installed my headers. Just remember to loosen the subframe bolts with the rear wheel on so the bike doesn't rock on the center stand - unless you're using a swing arm stand. No reason to ask why I recommend this......

13. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Can you do me a favour before you install them, and see if you can see down the pipe to where headers join.
    Is it all clear? Do the holes match? Are they large enough?
    I'm only asking because I was going to buy the Sandy Spares SS headers, but i got some horrible photos of the internals. Bad enough that I wouldn't buy them.

14. Voided76

Voided76 New Member

United States
    Map
  15. Braaahhnz

Braaahhnz New Member

OZ VFR. I started putting the system together and I'll be honest, except for a little swarf they look pretty good. There's no cat but there are positions for the sensors. I've not lined them up at the exhaust outlets yet but I don't think there will be a problem, I plan to vernier the OD of the header and ID of the manifold tonight.
    The grease they give you gets absolutely everywhere, the guy at the shop did warn me and he was right.

Had a bitch of a time taking off the rear left header, I wanted to remove as little as possible but in the end everything but the swing arm and rear sub frame is off. Even took off the chain guard just to get a little more space.

Opportunity to clean everything before the system goes on I suppose.

16. Braaahhnz

Braaahhnz New Member

Okay guys, I have the system aligned and almost ready to tighten up as REEK recommended. I know it has taken a while but when you only have an hoir a night and you have to empty the work area befpre you van start you would understand.

Anyway, I have a dilemma. The delkevic headers have bolts covering the o2 sensor ports, there is no cat. And I don't have a power commander system.
    What do I do?
    1. remove the sensors from the old system and put them in the new, the new came with a fly lead but how do I remove the originals? Are they welded in as the nut will not budge on the white and there's a sheild that appears to be riveted in place stopping me getting at the black.
    2. Leave as is and tuck the connectors on the bike away.

Any help is appreciated gentlemen.

17. Braaahhnz

Braaahhnz New Member

Oh and by the way. The od of the headers at the manifold end was 40.01 to 40.15. They fit perfectly.

18. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    I removed the sensors and installed them into the headers. I think you have to break off the rivetted piece, I don't really remember off hand. You have to WD40 them, loosen them a little, tighten them to free up the threads, loosen, tighten, etc. Don't ham fist them, they'll snapp off in the bung. I did originally buy the sensor delete resistors but never used them. I just broke down, opened up the wallet this week and finally ordered a PCV so that may change.

19. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Sounds like way too much trouble for a bit of HP!

20. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Ya if ya want more horses just mix your gas grades....