Bell RS-1 Helmet ?s

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by hallford, Jul 21, 2014.

1. hallford

hallford New Member

Map
    I wear a Scorpion Exo 700 XXL right now. I am looking into getting a Bell RS-1 as a replacement. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with this helmet. I know STG rates it as the best helmet under $400 but I have a really fat head and I am concerned it won't fit well. I have gone to my local Bell dealer and they do not have an XXL RS-1 that I can try on. Do they run pretty true to size? I can't wear Shoei because their XXL is way to tight, HJC XXL fits pretty well, haven't really worn any others.

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Helment size relates to hat size. This is the chart by Bell:

http://www.revzilla.com/bell-helmet-size-chart

That dealer should be able to get you an XXL to try on from Bell. One phone call to the rep should do it. Tell the dudes at that shop that every male in your family has a bike and a fat head.. ;)

Trying a helmet is the only way to go. I can't fit in an Arai or a Shoei. My nose is too long. The original measurements I was told were data from Japanese dudes who are not known for big hooters.

I have to go with a Bell, an AGV or a Shuberth.

I hope nobody suggests I get plastic surgery. If I did it would not be to shorten my nose.

3. RotaryRocketeer

RotaryRocketeer New Member

It's gonna be hard to find anything in stock anywhere to try on. The guy at Road & Track in Edmond, OK told me that Bell typically no longer ships to OK unless they have a special order. I had him order me one of the Bell Bullitts and it took 3 weeks to get here. I ordered the L based on my head size and they shipped an M but it actually fits really well, so I think the L would have been too big. Don't know much about the RS-1, but I absolutely love my Bullitt.

4. hallford

hallford New Member

Map
    I am looking at ordering it from Motorcycle Superstore, they seem to have a fairly easy return policy. I may just bite the bullet, if all else fails I can return it and have them send me a newer model Scorpion.

5. RotaryRocketeer

Indeed. I like to go with local places and "support the scene" so to speak, even if it is a bit of a hassle. To each their own though. If you don't mind me asking, where in OK are you at?

6. hallford

hallford New Member

Map
    Tulsa, I will support local when I can, sometimes the internet is just easier though.

7. FMB42

FMB42 New Member

Yep, trying the helmet on is the only way to go (especially if you need a helmet asap).

But I will say that (in my experience) the Bell helmet chart is pretty darn accurate when compared to some other well-known brands that I've tried on over the years. The last 2 Bells I recently bought fit me exactly according the chart (just a bit tight when brand new, but nearly "perfect" after 20-40 hours of use). I ordered both of these helmets online due to not being in a rush and because of the excellent return policies offered by the retailers (J &P Cycles and Sport Bike Track Gear).

8. Badbilly

United States
    For next time, this is a list of dealers nearby that are Bell Powersports dealers. Just having access to wholesale parts and farkles say Like Tucker-Rocky, does not make a dealer a "stocking" dealer.

http://www.bellhelmets.com/powersports-dealers

The old "they are hard to get" BS from a dealer is really a sales pitch for whatever is close at hand or really what is close to your bank account..

Wholesale purchasing works like this. Ya buy onsies and twosies or special order one and that's one price. As the quantity goes up the prices go down. Case in point. If ya buy a gross of farkles from Farkles International, is anone with all their marbles going to pay the onsies and twosies price? Naaah.

I don't see that "Road and Track" is a stocking Bell dealer. MSRP styles sizes and prices are also on the Bell Powersports website.

Bell has all kinds of "helmets" for every head and for all sorts of riding and driving. Comparing them with what some dude in a dealership with average reviews is a little off the wall IMO.

Somwhere there is a joke about car and bike salesdoods in Heaven. Maybe not..

9. hallford

hallford New Member

Map
    Motorcycle Superstore is currently offering the polychromatic visor free with the RS-1, I was already looking into that helmet that was just the icing on the cake.

10. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm prertty dissapointed in my RS-1 Steampunk with the transitions shield. First of all, the shield doesn't fit tight against the upper seal like the clear visor does. Plus, it doesn't get nearly dark enough on bright sunny days. The fit of the helmet is a bit odd too...a little tight on my temples and the chin curtain sits against the front of my chin instead of below it. After trying it out on a half dozen rides, it seems I've been grabbing my old HJC carbon more often lately. Luckily I got the Bell at a great price from Motorcycle Closeouts, so it doesn't hurt so much seeing it just sit there collecting dust (can't return it since it's been worn multiple times).

11. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
  12. RotaryRocketeer

That's interesting, thanks for the info. I stopped by Cycle Gear with a buddy one day before I ordered and they only had one Bell half helmet in stock and the counter guy told me they couldn't get the helmet I wanted so I just took Road & Track's word as gospel. Shows what I know I suppose.

13. Badbilly

United States
    Cycle Gear is a big outfit. They are also a Bell PowerSports stocking dealer. Bell would like nothing better than to have every one of their helmets in every size in every Cycle Gear store. That ain't gonna happen there or at Road and Track. What you will find at Cycle Gear is inter store shipping and if the parts dude doesn't have his head up his ass, a wanted helmet in the right size should be not too much more than a couple of days away. This is a good thing for the instant gratification types..

Those Bell half skidlids with the dams are the favored attire for the Mongols MC.

14. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Grey...how quiet is your RS-1 ?
    Even thow I wear plugs with my Scorpion...its a loud helmet.
    In the market soon for an upgrade
    Thanks

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

15. metallyguitarded

metallyguitarded New Member

Map
    I've had the Bell RS-1 for over a year now with the transitions shield and unlike DriverDave, I've really liked it. As far as your question on fit, it's seems to be right on with other helmets I've owned (with the exception of an Arai Vector I had years ago which ran large). I have (but no longer wear) a Scorpion EXO 700 but my Bell is my go-to helmet. It's definitely quieter than the Scorpion but it's by no means silent. On long rides, I still like to wear ear plugs.

I find the shield to fit snug on the helmet and there's a small lever on the lower left that you pull down to press it even tighter against the helmet. As far as the darkness of tint, it's plenty dark for me and I enjoy not having to switch out shields anymore. The anti-fog treatment did not seem to last very long and airflow is so-so. I find myself opening the shield a crack at stops for extra air flow and to prevent fogging.

Out of the helmets I've owned (Scorpion EXO500, Scorpion EXO700, SevenZeroSeven (a Cycle Gear brand I believe), Arai Vector and the Bell RS-1), I'd say the Bell ranks second behind the Arai in comfort and noise level but with the transitions shield, the styling, and the fact that I can take off the Bell and not have permanent helmet hair - a bonus at the office - I'd pick the Bell again over the Arai.

Now to find your size! Are you sure you even need a helmet with a head that big?! Kidding...

16. hallford

hallford New Member

Map
    So far I have had to order my helmets just to make sure I can get my size lol

17. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Funny, my Bell gives me much worse helmet hair than my HJC. Part of my problem with the transitions shield might be that I use a dark smoke on my HJC which is considerably darker than the transitions in full sunlight.

18. hallford

hallford New Member

Map
    I can't wear contacts and have transitions on my glasses, always wondered why they didn't do it for helmets. UV screening on most visors keep my glasses from tinting.

19. metallyguitarded

metallyguitarded New Member

Map
    Maybe I need to give HJC a try! I've only tried one of their low-end models when first learning to ride and didn't like it at all. I didn't know anything about helmets at the time and I'm sure they make something that would work for me. And don't get me wrong about the helmet hair. The RS-1 is way better than the Arai but isn't perfect when it comes to that issue. Still, it's manageable.

I get what you're saying about the dark smoke shields. I've used them on all my other helmets and they are noticeably darker than the transitions shield but I've never found myself squinting or distracted by too much light with it on and have really come to appreciate not having to carry around an extra shield, particularly in the winter when it's light out in the morning but dark before I leave work.

On a side, but related, note - just saw an ad for a Reevu helmet that has some form of rearview mirror inside the shield with what appeared to be a camera of some sort out the back of the helmet. At least that's what it looked like on a quick scan of the website. Didn't look for price point or reviews but thought it was interesting enough to mention. I wonder if they make it in XXL...

20. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Bell actually used to sell helmets by hat size. It was great and you knew exactly what size you needed. Fit like a champ. I was wearing open face helmets at that time.