Poll and Couple of questions about seats and Honda low seat

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by RKSwart, Jul 21, 2014.

?

Low seat options

Poll closed Jul 26, 2014.
  1. Honda low seat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Corbin

50.0%
  3. Have local shop mod the seat

50.0%
  1. RKSwart

RKSwart New Member

Hi All,
    Just received my 2010 VFR about 4 weeks ago and have a few questions on the seat options.

I am 5'8" 30" inseam so I can get most of my foot down but not flat foot it. Looking for a more comfortable and less slippery seat than stock.

1) Is the Honda low seat just as slippery as stock? Not alot of info on it. But tired of my wife sliding me into the tank.
    2) How is the comfort on the low seat? If it is similar to stock, then might as well go Corbin or local mod.
    3) Loved my Corbin on my last bike, but it sat differently than this bike. Stock seat puts some bad pressure on the back of the legs. Fine for a few hours but all day, probably not in the cards. Afraid with riding angle and short legs, Corbin may do the same.

Have a 3 day trip coming up and want to be comfortable when I get to the end of the day.

I am debating between low seat, Corbin, or having mine modded here locally (Central Ohio). Hate to drop so much $$$ on a seat and hate it.

Thanks for the help.

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    I have Sargent seat and I am happy :wink:
    However two up my wife hate it and want me to have the seat custom to her :bootyshake:
    I am leaning to Russell Day Long
    Get an Airhawk if you have no time for the trip.

3. Scubalong

United States
    BTW
    :welcome: to the madness :wave:
    Might want to take a walk down the hall to Introduction section and introduce yourself and don't forget to post picture of the new to you bike.
    Tough crowd here :rolleyes:

4. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    Think about Sargent seat as well. Most here prefer it to the Corbin.

That said, cheapest option is local modification of your stock seat~

5. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    This is a hard question because what works for one person may not for another. Depends on your own anatomy. As an example, I have made very long trips (2000 miles+) on the stock,then following many peoples advise, bought a Sergent. Personally, I have not noticed a difference and had I known this up front, I may not have spent the money on a Sergent. All that being said, I used to ride a bicycle many years and a lot on one of those thin seats so maybe I have callouses on my ass. Maybe is has softened over the years and if I were to go back to the stock, I would think otherwise.

Come to think of it, I still have my stock one up in the garage. I just might try that today.

6. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    I have the same problem with my daughter sliding into me, I'm also concerned about accelerating too hard and having her slide back too much.
    I broke down and ordered the Corbin gunfighter/lady with a back rest. Due to the way I fit on the stock seat I moved the rider back lip up an inch and had it raised a 1/2". I went with the carbon fiber leather top, best grip, with vinyl sides, better durability.
    Sorry I can't give a report yet, it's supposed to arrive in another 2-3 weeks.
    The only other option I found was to have a steel backrest made by the local metal shop that would secure where the handles were, then brought to the seat guy to upholster and rework the seat.
    My fingers are crossed that the Corbin will work out, it is big bucks and I'd hate not to be happy with it. I'll let you know our thoughts when we have a chance to put a few miles on it.

7. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

Local that does an excellent job, re-did a seat on Kawasaki. I am dealing with Seargent for a seat cover for one of my viffers. I am not a fan of corbin seats/boots/or anything they manufacture. I think if you need a saddle made, its super important that your there for the adjustment/measurements. Cheers

8. jonmarsh

jonmarsh New Member

Map
    Corbin seat shipped today for my 2013- I'll give feedback once I have it, but it may be a while for meaningful feedback- it's scheduled to arrive the day before I have to leave on a trip for GF's niece's wedding. And NOT on the bike! :star:

9. RKSwart

RKSwart New Member

Yea, I have a trip coming up in 3 weeks to Niagara Falls for the weekend. Bout 7-8 hours on the bike each way depending on how many back roads we take. I have a shop here in Columbus that quoted $375 to mod the seat (lower it, re-shape to help prevent the slide forward, insert a gel pad). However, it was a 2 week turn around. Hate not having a seat that long. Not sure about the gel pad option either, heard alot good and alot bad. Though I think new gels have much better performance.

10. dogFM

dogFM New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    My daughter slides into me- I bought a triboseat grippy cover thing- it works ... About $20.
    Doesn't help with flat footing but solves one problem for you

11. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    I feel your pain. At 5'4" and28" inseam I can barely tip-toe most bikes. I'd go the custom road and have it done to my specs rather than generic measurements on the after-market seats.

12. jonmarsh

jonmarsh New Member

Map
    We all have our own preferences. I have a preference for Corbin seats going on 20 years (since 1992, bought first one for a NT Hawk 650)- I just got my new one last night, only had a chance to ride it to coffee this morning, before we leave on our vacation camping trip for niece's wedding (GF always has busy agendas), but it delivers as expected, and also has a more built up and comfortable passenger section.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As expected, it relieves the pressure hot spot on the two bone points at the bottom of my pelvis, and provides more front to back support, alleviating the tendency with the stock seat to slide forward and wind up flat against the tank. (they sell a lot of tank protectors because of that!). And as usual, somehow it feels like they used my butt as the mold guide, the fit is that good... even brand new- they do break in some, and feel better with passing time.

The materials are first rate, including the custom seat pan- the stock set feels like a flimsy piece of plastic and vinyl made with cheap materials and design in comparison.

13. Scubalong

United States
    Very nice :thumb:

14. RKSwart

RKSwart New Member

Nice. Does the corbin sit lower or the same as the stock seat?

15. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I say go custom and have it tailored to you and the wife, you'll be better off in the long run. I also have a Sargent and it's fine for me, but still not comfortable enough for the wife, even after picking up an Airhawk cushion. As far as sliding, a custom seat maker can use different materials for the cover to help reduce slipping or there's the anti slip covers too. About the only benefit with the off the shelf seats is their resale value, as it's easier to sell them if you don't like them, as they are generic, custom seats not so easy to sell afterward.

See of you can find a stock seat or seat pan in the classified or ebay/CL and use that as the template for your custom job, this way you can keep your stock seat in case you need to resell your bike later, as the stock seat is also a generic fit.

16. jonmarsh

jonmarsh New Member

Map
    In the lowest part, it's close to the same, but overall I'd call it an inch higher, particularly the passenger seating area. Passenger area is markedly better than the stock seat.

Last year I talked a couple of guys who ride into dr,I vying down to Hollister and checking Corbin out- they ended up buying seats on the spot and have been very pleased.

17. hallford

hallford New Member

Map
    Seeing jonmarsh's I am more distracted by the pretty OEM bags, but like the look of the corbin. That was the route I was planning to go. Though I have short legs for my height, at a 33" inseam I don't have issues going flat footed.

18. jonmarsh

jonmarsh New Member

Map
    You shouldn't have any problem- I'm a 32" inseam.

19. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I always like to find products in another sport/business that can crossover to motorcycling. There is a pair of gel padded under shorts for bicycling by Canari that would make long trips in any saddle more comfortable. Available at REI, and online.

Corbin looks great, still have one on my '83.

20. jjarama

jjarama New Member

United States
    I too just brought home my 2010 VFR1200F and added the same Corbin Gunfighter seat as shown in this thread (among many other accessories).

An Issue I did not see mentioned ... :
    I am 6'2"and the Corbin is a 2 tiered seat with a Driver platform & higher Passenger platform ___/-----

The issue is the step-up platform to the passenger level is a stop for the driver. In fact the seat is most comfortable when the driver is up against that separation block because it provides the best cushioning an support. UNFORTUNATELY, to sit that far back on a Corbin seat causes me to lean too far forward to reach the handle bars - and I have Helibars installed to raise their level and pull back slightly. The design of the Corbin seat for the VFR1200 is a one size fits all.

If your height is less than 6', then I believe this issue would be even greater for you!

I am comfortable on the Corn=biI am currently seeking to raise the bars even higher to find a