Loring Speed Trial Runs last weekend, VFR1200FD fun!

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Slash2, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Slash2

Slash2 New Member

Map
    I unexpectedly ran my DCT at Loring - about 10 times. What a blast!

Here are the stats, and observations. I ran the bike stock excepting an Akrapovic slip-on and the luggage rack. She has 3400 miles and a worn rear tire.

The speedometer is amazingly accurate! My first licensing pass was to be at 125mph. I went through both the 1 mile and 1.5 mile traps at 125 indicated, and ran 123.9 timed. First run was made in D mode.

The second licensing run was to be at 150 mph. Launching the DCT hard is useless, especially with 2.5 miles of runway before you. I like to roll the throttle on pretty hard at about 10 mph in S mode. If the front wheel is lifted on the DCT's they do not shift, hit rev-limit, slam down, then shift and get untidy and it's rough on the driveline. My method, with a good forward riding position actually spun the rear just prior to shifting to 2nd. She reached 152 indicated and 150 timed in under a half mile.

Now it was time to play at WOT for several runs. What a stable machine at its limited top speed! There was a 10mph crosswind on one run, what a hoot leaning it over to hold my line.

It topped out at 157-158 indicated, 155.815 on that aforementioned thin tire. I made more than a handful of 155 passes like clockwork. Very composed and confidence inspiring. Could have made many more but was volunteering and running an old 2-stroke 500.

I'll post you some acceleration rates, etc., once I have had time to review video. I can tell you that it was at 155 by the half-mile, and very comfortable right through and well beyond the 1.5 mile trap at 155. Long-shutdown is at 2.5 miles, unless you are running over 200, there is no need to clamp down at all to make the old B-52 turnoff.

If you like safe speed, I can recommend these runway land-speed-record events. The variety of vehicles and folks of all walks is a blast. Go to one! Loring Timing Association ROCKS!

2. f3racer

f3racer New Member

Sounds awesome!

3. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Any special prep? Safety wire that kinda thing? Do you need full leathers? I like to take the Busa there some day.

4. Slash2

Slash2 New Member

Map
    There is tech inspection, full protective equipment is needed. The good folks up there will help you do whatever safety wiring prep is necessary onsite. Their unofficial motto is "Don't be a DICK, and we will make it happen." A well-kitted busa can get you into the 200-Club with some investment.

Check out www.loringtiming.com

5. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    That's cool that they help you. I'd run stock, no real interest in building the bike. Just like to run it.

Congrats on your runs.

6. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Glad you had fun. Ran a similar event with my basically stock VFR800 last Oct. at the TM. Officially clocked 145.4 at the 'mile' with speed approaching 150 (speedohealer in place) when I decided to back off ... these are interesting events & a can be a lot of fun :thumb: ...

ACE

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Lots of history on the Loring AFB with the long runways for bigass SAC bombers.

The post should bring out aboot three dozen dudes with even 500s that will go faster than any 1200. This forum has the fastest VFRs on the planet. Not much to prove it but everyone knows that bike dudes never exaggerate. A few have timing slips (a few=2)

8. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map

I just went through the rule book. Did you do anything to protect your fuel lines? Was that handled in tech? I see they have an event for Labor Day wknd. May have to take the long ride up & check it out. Anxiously awaiting your video.

9. Slash2

Slash2 New Member

Map
    They were quite advisory about three items, and a fourth popped up. Here they are:

They'd like the front axle wired. No big deal, I will comply for the Labor Day event (they didn't want to drill it).

They'd like metal caps on the tire valves. Done.

They'd like a steering damper installed, as would I, for speeds above 125. They, and I, recognize that the conservative geometry of bikes like the VFR and a few others make them safe well beyond the 125 suggested limit without a damper.

The mirrors are not easily removed, they allowed me to run with them folded with the glass taped. I will install some disconnects, there seems to be enough slack in the wires.

As for fuel line clamps, they didn't mention them on the VFR, but suggested them on the vintage 500 I ran. I'll put some on it. They're just a great group of people, if you are cool to them, they are back.

Do come up Labor Day. You don't sound like a dick, they will make it happen. 500 runs last weekend!

10. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Kind of funny the vfr 800 is only a little slower than a 1200-what gives with that? The 1200 must be a rolling tank. Does sound like fun however-seeing what the bike will do kind of stock!:spider::spit::ranger:

11. Slash2

Slash2 New Member

Map
    It's limited to 155. Get it? Limited . . . read the details, and perhaps ride one, before bashing our rolling tanks . . . I mean sport-tourers. No knock on the DCT? Save yourself the trouble, if you are lucky, you'll open one up one day! Enjoy your ride, knocking others' isn't going to make yours any faster. Peace . . .

12. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    take the limiter off then otherwise you might as well have the 800

13. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    If SOW makes a run, I hope the cats are oot of the bags.

14. Slash2

Slash2 New Member

Map
    Too kind BB! Should get wideo posted today . . .

15. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I have a scotts damper so I can go faster with no limit.

16. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I should run my car-it could hit 180-it has the limiter removed or set at 190.

17. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Prove it.

18. Slash2

Slash2 New Member

Map
    Why do you choose to so pollute these threads? We get it that you think your VFR800 is the fastest. sweetest machine ever farted upon - you have made that abundantly clear. Now you have a 180mph car do you? You are dreaming my freind, I saw 180mph cars this weekend - you don't have the ponies or aero - I assure you! STFU about your 800 and go ride it! Enjoy!

19. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    the car has the wind stuff-just remove the wing and you don't need much power to push a 2700 car. I have done 155 twice.

20. Slash2

Slash2 New Member

Map
    Those 25mph from 155 to 180 are not easily attained in a car. If you don't think it takes much power to go 180 in whatever a 2700 car might be in your world, keep dreaming. As I mentioned in an earlier post, their unofficial motto is "Don't be a DICK, and we will make it happen." From your writings, I am not certain they could make anything happen for you at Loring. Way too long a ride to find out, it's way the heck up at the tip of Maine. No cell service - Canadian roaming - you'd hate it. Bugs, did I mention the bugs? Very buggy and far. And hot, whew it's freaking hot on that runway, hot and buggy and far as heck - 400 miles in Maine alone - too far. Yep, hot, buggy, far, you don't want to run up there, really. And, contrary to what I said about the folks up there being nice, they are like me, you wouldn't like them either, promise.