Communication / Media device for hemets

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by DavidEW, Jul 25, 2014.

1. DavidEW

DavidEW New Member

United States
    Map
    I've been using a bluetooth helmet for awhile (O'neal, Monaco Lazer) and there too much wind/road noise. I listen to music solo and 2 up want to talk to my wife. Looking for the best option. I tried a touring windscreen for my VFR but not only did it look silly but it seemed to direct the air into a worse area than the stock one.
    I don't think in-helmet speakers no matter how good the helmet will work better than in-ear music earplugs. Thinking of getting custom earplugs made for my ears that are made for music playback and then buying a Sena (or whatever is recommended) bluetooth setup, cutting the speaker wires and soldering it to the earplugs. Something like that. Or is there something like that already out there? Anyone have this type of setup?
    If possible I'd like to avoid spending $1500 on a helmet/bluetooth system like most people.

Thanks-

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Sena does have an in the ear accessory for their units I believe. Personally, if I were to go back to the in the ear plugs rather than the speaker, I would not get the molded ones. I would stick with the silicoln ear buds. They block out enough of the road noise and give great sound from your music device. I had a pair of custom molder ear plugs, not ear phones, and they bothered me to wear them. Maybe that is something you can get used to but I did not.

The thing with the in the ear buds, is finding a set that have a slim enough profile that you can wear them for extended periods of time in a snug helmet. Strangey enough, the ones that I found to fit the best, and allowed constant wearing for mega rides 5 weeks in length, were also the cheapest, by Maxell I think. They finally broke after several years and I replaced them with a new set which were equally as inexpensive and good. Don't know what brand name though. Only wear them really when I am riding the bicycle though because I have a sena that I like.

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Sena would be the best choice IMO
    You can use earsbud of your choice

4. risgett

risgett New Member

Map
    Most everyone I know with a Scalarider loves them. Some use speakers in the helmet, others use headphones or earbuds. After hearing them talk about it, it seems like a preference thing.

5. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    I have the Sena SMH10 and SMH10R and will probably get the new 20S for my next helmet. Great company with great products. And yes, they have the option of plugging in your own ear buds instead of using speakers (although I'm quite happy with the speakers + ear plugs on both my helmets).

6. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    Uclear. Not very expensive, blue tooth lid to lid, can communicate to other brands now with the 100+ (model). Used it for a couple of years for bike to bike with the wife and music/telephone/directions from the iPhone. I'd say about 300 feet it starts to fade. Sounds crystal clear. No boom mike, fits in all the helmets that I've owned.

7. JacksonAces

JacksonAces New Member

My wife and I love our SMH10's. Got the dual pack. We use the in-helmet speakers, but wear earplugs with them. This cuts the road noise, and is better for your ears anyway, but you can still hear the speakers just fine. It also makes the on-off procedure easier, without any wires to worry about.

As for earplugs, the cheap orange ones work just fine, but these Etymotic ones are amazing.
    Just my experience.

~Jack

8. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    Sena 20s - great bit of kit and has the earbud option standard - you supply the earbuds which fit you best.