84' VF500F Carb Labeling

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by jacksonwalters, Jul 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. jacksonwalters

jacksonwalters New Member

United States
    Map
    Just finished cleaning out the carbs from my '84 VF500F and just wanted to make sure I'm putting them together correctly. The '84's use two different types of jet needles, 2VF for the #1 & #4 carb and 2VD for the #2 & #3. Does the labeling start from the carb with the fuel valve being #1 and move right to left (as shown in pic)? Didn't see a diagram in the manual. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    #2 and 3 are the interior carbs, #1 and 4 are the 'outer' carbs on each end of the carb bank. Numbering is the same as the motor cylinders. The interior cylinders run hotter than the outer so the needles are different for the difference in temperature.

3. jacksonwalters

jacksonwalters New Member

United States
    Map
    Ah, okay cool, looks like I made the right call. After putting the carbs back in it's idling much better, around 1300. However, at least one of the float bowls looks like it's leaking while it's on the kickstand. I imagine it's due to smooshed gaskets along with maybe a sticking float. I'll have to pull 'em out and take another look. Any of you guys know where to get '84 VF500 float bowl gaskets? Seems really hard to find specific ones online. Should I just make my own?

4. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    Make your own. There are standard sized o-rings (Parker numbers or something), but one of those sizes is supposedly a perfect fit--can be routed in the groove of the bowl cover. i've cleaned hundreds of carbs and never had one leak at the bowl gasket (knocks wood...), so i don't know the size number.