SAG my 03 VFR and Track

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Rockets, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Rockets

Rockets New Member

Set the suspension to my weight. Aimed for 33mm of travel since its a daily and touring machine. Ended with 33mm Font and 31mm Rear. Needs an aftermarket rear shock for any further adjustment. Took it to the track. The bike performed well but did not excite me like my 09 Zx6r. Comparing the two its like hauling around a pig vs a pure bred racing horse. Though I did keep up with the sport bikes it just takes extra muscle to do it and I got tired faster. But the VFR can go the distance for touring and is more comfortable on the street VS the 09 Zx6r so for that reason I would find more purpose use out of the Viffer.

Me setting Rider Sag
    http://youtu.be/-B0PgHIxTLc

The Man himself teaching the fundamentals
    http://youtu.be/t4m4ahZLRMY

2. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Ya, I noticed the stock rear shock is a piece of junk, it is too low in the back-no way to adj. Aftermarket is the only way to really fix the problem!

3. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    erka sporty shock on ebay $795 shipped-seems like a good deal, stage 4 -looks nice.

4. thegreatnobody

thegreatnobody New Member

Map
    Yep, it's no supersport, but I have no problem keeping up, and also pulling away from, anyone at a quick street riding pace. The later gens handle suprisingly well, chassis is very good.

I would recommend looking up DMR motorsports on the interweb. Jamie reworked my 4th gen's forks and slapped on a re-worked CBR929 shock, and it was very reasonably priced for both ends being reworked. Usually much less than a single aftermarket shock.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  5. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I think a aftermarket rear shock is worth the money-you need a really great single shock especially on a heavy vfr-I don't think a 954 or a 929 shock will work on a 800.

6. Rockets

Rockets New Member

Thanks for the replies. Not sure if I will be keeping the VFR forever so no suspension mods for now. Just need more track time with it and practice body positioning so the sport bike guys would only see my tail lol.

7. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    i took his class many years ago at road atlanta and it was excellent, plus very stylish--i think he changed outfits between each session.

Anybody can go fast on the straights--but learning to take curves without using the brakes will leave the sportbike squids behind...