Traxxion Dynamics opinions....

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by HRCCBR, Jul 26, 2014.

1. HRCCBR

HRCCBR New Member

United States
    Map
    So, I have a '08 and I went down to chat with Traxxion about the suspension. i know its undersprung etc but my ? for you guys..... is the AK20 and a penske worth the $2500 investment?

If you have first hand experience your opinion would be appreciated!

2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Yes, it is worth it

3. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    i used to race against Max back in gp125, and he was really smart about setups back then. He stopped racing and went into suspension work full time. Go price an Ohlin$ $etup for compari$on

4. HRCCBR

HRCCBR New Member

United States
    Map
    Care to elaborate on your experience?

5. HRCCBR

HRCCBR New Member

United States
    Map
    Ohlins only make a rear as far as I can find and the cost is not much different than penske offerings. I do like that the penske is made in USA to order.

Do you have other information than what I stated?

6. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    i assume this is not a racing bike but ridden on street. Are you having handling issues? Are you a heavy or light fellow, most amateur racers average weight is 185 with gear--did Max ask or measure your weight?

You don't have to go for full-blown aids, just get springs that match your weight and allow a decent sag setting in order to use full stroke without bottoming on full-hand braking and don't squat to the bottom on hard acceleration,
    and adjust damping using fork oil weights.

Ride it for awhile and then if the damping can't be adjusted to suit your feel then you can invest in adjustable shocks and forks valves, etc.

i've use Ohlins shocks and forks on other SSSA bikes (bmw, duc) and find that i don't do much tweaking with the knobs after they are set (street riding). On an occasional track day i will crank on the knobs mostly for confidence building. Tracks are so much smoother and predictable than street riding, but i like to use fairly high damping and tune for full-stroke travel.

Is it worth the money? Only you can decide for you.

7. HRCCBR

HRCCBR New Member

United States
    Map
    Correct for the street commuting and some fun on 129. I am about 225 with gear so not a light fellow. My issues that cropped up after the Dragons Tail visit is the dive with even moderate braking, the feeling that the back is falling away when laying her into a corner, and the uninspiring transitions all of which do not inspire confidence to go faster and lower. I still had 1/4" of rear tire left untouched after 4 runs thru the Dragon. It was the first time ever being on that road so that did play a part of it. I do love the feel of the bike in high speed sweepers as is but it would seem that it could be even better.

When I went to Traxxion I was basically told there is nothing they can do without $$$. they didn't charge me the "set-up" fee that I had the appointment for since all he did was put all the preload it had on the forks and 1 click of preload on the rear. That's it that's all they did. I did get to see the whole shop which was interesting and I do like the idea of AK's and a shock but that's a lot of jack.
    I asked about doing the spring up front and was basically told it would only make the back worse.? Maybe it was a lets see if we can sell a complete system to this guy with the '08 VFR day? LOL

8. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    Check with Jamie Daugherty. His setups are damn good & will get you 90% of the way to perfect at a fraction of the cost.

9. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I am sold on Traxxion Dynamics, I used them for two bikes and the springs are terrific, my other bike I have Race-Tech fork springs with the emulators and a Fox Shock. I have never re-touched any of the settings in the past, its basically "set-it-and-forget-it" excluded tyre pressure of course. Not much difference between the two viffers with the different front springs/set-ups btw.

If I went for a shock on my latest bike, I would do a Penske through the GA out-fit.