I need idea's to fix the rear shock, it feels like a iron board with no spring!

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by sunofwolf, Jul 26, 2014.

1. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I saw a erka stage 4 for $800-looks real nice, but I found out a 929 shock will also work on a 800. Any idea's?:tinfoil3:

2. thegreatnobody

thegreatnobody New Member

Map
    Well first you need to make sure your sag is right, and that your shock is set on the correct 'step'. I believe the second step is stock. I weigh 175 and I have mine on the third, which is firmer, but I like it for my style of riding. You want about 30-35mm of rear sag. Look up how to do that, it's quite easy and will take 2-3 people.

The stock shock is rather cadillac compared to aftermarket shocks. If you want more comfort, you're going to trade sportiness for floatiness. It's a compromise. Also, the 929 shock only fits the '90-'01 VFR's, not 6th gens. The F4i shock fits, and that is what DMR uses. A re-worked shock will probably run you about $400.

3. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Well can't I have both Cadillac ride and sporty ride, I don't want a real stiff ride-the roads are a mixed bag here-go from good to bad real fast. I think I will call the shock man and see what he thinks.

4. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I have the abs stock shock with Hdro pre-load adj

5. bnick3

bnick3 New Member

United States
    There are a lot of options out there but the answer for me was a reworked 929 conversion and to have the front shocks done at the same time. Jamie is active on this forum and he will steer you right even if you don't have him do your shocks.
    http://www.daughertymotorsports.com

6. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    I have one of Jamie's 929 upgrades on my 2000 VFR and it truly is a work of art. Dollar for dollar, one of the best improvements I have made and Jamie is a great guy to deal with. Shoot him a PM and I'm sure he can point you in the right direction.

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Another chime in for Jamie Daugherty. I have the ABS model shock on my non ABS equipped '09 which I sent to Jamie to have it revalved and spring changed for my weight and type of riding I would be doing (Commuting and Touring) and I couldn't be happier. That being said, if your going to change your rear shock spring rate and/or valving, do the front at the same time.

Reason being, rather than send in my forks to have Jamie rework them, I had him send me the springs, shims and valves and did them myself, but...I didn't do them at the same time I changed the rear shock and until I did, the ride was nowhere near what I have now that both are updated. Having a balanced front & rear setup makes a big difference IMO.

8. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    What about that F4i that fits the vfr 800-do you think that would work well. I don't really want to take off the stock one till, I have another shock. But the Hdro preload adj on the abs model might be the best one to use-have reworked with a better spring. I don't need anything fancy just something that works better.:stickhorse::tclaw:

9. H3nry

H3nry New Member

United States
    Map
    Have you checked sag? If your bike feels like no suspension, chances are you're riding near either the top or bottom of wheel travel. You want the bike to settle about an inch or inch-and-a-half from fully extended (wheel off the ground condition) when you sit on it. You need a friend to measure with a tape and probably another friend to hold the bike upright while measuring. Spring preload is adjustable front and rear. If you can't get the suspension sag right with stock springs, then new springs are called for. Shocks will help, but if the suspension is bottomed or topped out, obviously nothing helps. There are lots of tutorials on setting sag on the internet.