The saha continues...Chinese eBay R/R

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by kenwood, Jul 31, 2014.

1. kenwood

kenwood New Member

Map
    This is a continuation of hooking my portable jumper up backwards. I thought I got off cheap when I only had to replace the 30amp main fuse to bring it back to life. Yesterday my R/R failed and stranded me at the grocery store. I have a spare I purchased off eBay. Its a Chinese product that I paid all of $12.95 for. Shipped. Figured it would be OK for a spare.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Regulator-R...Parts_Accessories&hash=item233dda2e28&vxp=mtr

Installed it in the stores parking lot. The connector socket fit perfectly. The bolt holes are too close together so it's temporarily held on with one bolt. Put the cover & seat back on, fired it up and drove home. Will order a new R/R tomorrow, but I'm intrigued by this thing... Tomorrow I will check the unit's output and hot/cold performance, bolt it down properly (if it checks out) and see how it holds up. I'll wait until the new one shows up 1st though... Anybody tried one of these?

20140731_182817.jpg 20140731_182901.jpg 20140731_182911.jpg 20140731_183028.jpg

Hey, it got me home!

2. Bryan88

Bryan88 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

South Africa
    Map
    Sorry man, can't help you. Does it have any numbers on it? The one in the picture looks like it has the Shindingen (spelling?) numbers on, or is that just dodgy marketing from the seller. One good thing though is that you now know it wil work when you need it if you keep it as a back-up.

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    For twelve pesos and change if the darn thing only lasts a few miles, it's good insurance. Slap a lock washer on that one bolt and go home free. Actually not free but close.

I got stuck once in BC and all in all it cost me aboot a thousand pesos by the time I got back to Seattle.

4. kenwood

kenwood New Member

Map
    If looks mean anything, it looks well made. The socket fits snugly. I'm going out in a few minutes with my meter & check the output. Not going to ride the bike 'till I get a backup, but I plan to run this one to see how it holds up. I'll post updates.

5. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Keep us posted :pop2:

6. kenwood

kenwood New Member

Map
    13.1 at idle and 14.45 at 3,000. That's about perfect. Plan to drive this thing to failure, checking the output weekly. When my new one comes in I'll run the bike to heat it up and check it again. How can they do this $13.00?

7. Badbilly

United States
    Mass production and cheap labor is one factor. The other might be that starting with Honda, we the consumers are being had again. When my first R/R crapped out to the tune of nearly a grand in overall costs, The part was as I recall mucho pesos, not in stock and the dealer was used to buying from one Honda warehouse and the parts dude would not try another. This particular dealer is now bye-bye, tit up and not missed a bit in Seattle. University Honda.

It was Bob Marley who said." You can fool some people sometimes but you can't fool all the people all the time".

8. kenwood

kenwood New Member

Map
    Sounds like you got screwed over pretty good Billy. Posters here can't possibly know how much this forum helps everyone that rides VFRs. Especially us noobs...I knew to carry a spare R/R only because of advice from the good people on this site.

9. NormK

NormK New Member

Nothing wrong with the Chinese rec/regs they either work or they let the smoke out but at the low cost you can always keep a couple so if one fails stick another in

10. kenwood

kenwood New Member

Map
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  11. Badbilly

United States
    This particular dealership was the original Honda franchise holder in the Seattle area. The new owners ran it into the ground. I have to say they screwed everyone equally.. The son of the owner was the sales manager, the parts dude was the son in law. The son even went as far as to infiltrating a group of the local riders. That lasted just a little while. What some of these outfits miss is that even in large metro area word gets around fast and with the exception of the harleydood dealers, trying to be the 800 lb. gorilla is not the best thing to try to be.

12. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    The prices are ridiculous considering it's just 7 diodes inside a heatsink with a terminal connector. The chinese units are priced about right for what's inside.

13. Badbilly

United States
    Beats the price of the bike crapping oot 125 miles from the barn, a tow to a motel, the motel bill, a pissed off Canadian Honda Dealer who "had" to open on a Monday, four taxis rides from the motel to the dealer, meals and running four guys on two different jobs I had to have stay home because I was supposed to be there too. So with only eight diodes it's still a good deal IMO. I also bought a new battery for the bike too.

Just ordered one that wiil find a home under my seat on the mach 1 91. It ain't always aboot chopped suey.

14. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    This doesn't make sense. The part is either available or not. If it is available (not back-ordered), the computer will show them what warehouse(s). Some might take longer to get a part from due to distance. They wouldn't not order a part just because it's not in one particular warehouse. It doesn't work that way.

15. Gundecker

Gundecker New Member

On my '96 I ended up with a rr from Ricks. The Chinese one I got off eBay for $19 wouldn't test properly with a multimeter using the Honda shop manual procedures. I didn't bother installing it for fear of damaging
    something else.
    Lesson learned. Ricks was about $125 ish?

16. kenwood

kenwood New Member

Map
    Been over two weeks w/o problems. Checked output and all is good. My spare arrived and hid under the seat.

17. NormK

NormK New Member

Best insurance you will ever have, carrying a spare means you will never have one fail again :smile:

18. H3nry

H3nry New Member

United States
    Map
    I put a cheap Chinese MOSFET R/R on my 5th gen VFR a couple of months ago and so far, so good. It runs a lot cooler than the Honda part and regulation is better than stock. The R/R is sold as a heavy duty replacement for a Hayabusa, so the 3-pin connector fits, but you need to change the 4-pin plug to fit a Honda. I checked a forum for 'Busa & B-King riders, and there was only one guy who had a R/R failure, so I have hope...

Three weeks ago the R/R went on my VF750 Magna and the battery blew its acid all over the swing arm, brake stay, and back wheel. So that bike also got a $30 'Busa R/R and a new battery box which holds a standard vented 14LA2 battery, in addition to paint on the swingarm & brake rods and a polish job on the rear wheel and brake to remove acid damage. I sincerely hope from now on the electrics will be as stone reliable as the rest of the V4, but only time will tell. I tend toward Suzuki parts because I've owned more Suzukis than Hondas, and never had an electrical failure on one. I know - that could be a fluke.

19. Leedawg

Leedawg New Member

Map
    Thanks for the info! I fear with the first 180 miles on the 94 project she may be in need of an RR replacement already. Might as well get ahead of that problem. With 24K on the clock and a stock RR Im paranoid... Will be spare on board fer sure.

20. Badbilly

United States
    How does it work exactly? I'm still around with the same 23 year old bike and they are gone. With the owner who was formerly in the car biz and the son as sales manager and the daughter and son in law running parts and none of them giving a flying fuck about customers or service and them going through various service managers sales dudes and wrenches like shit though a goose I am certain you do know what you are talking about. The part was and is the OEM regulatorfuckingrectifier that had and has a failure rate on the order of way too many..

Kind of too bad they are tits up or you could be front man for all the customers in Seattle they fucked in the space of a couple of years.