Suspension Question

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Lint, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    A little background first. 05 with about 25Kish miles on her. I bought her two years ago and I haven't touched the suspension, other than having a mechanic crank the fork adjusters down all the way and adjust the rear shock, which I know is undersprung for my weight. Same fork oil as when I bought it with 6626 miles on her. Also, the rear tire is a Shinko 005 and the front is the Pilot Road 3 that I've had on for about 9-10K. I wore out the rear on my trip to and from Nashville. I had the bike loaded down with soft saddlebags, a small tent and a sleeping bag, plus a tank bag that grew progressively heavier as my trip wore on, especially on the return, due to my adding things to it. Now, I know that the profile of the 005 is different and in some ways I like it better than my worn previous Pilot Road 3, i.e. it falls into corners quicker, really that is the biggest difference.

I DON'T want this to turn into a tire thread, or a Shinko is crap/Shinko is great, etc. So far, I am impressed-ish, but I mention it only for this reason:

My front end feels light. Kind of like it is pushing, or understeering, yet I know it isn't. When I turn into a curve, sometimes I feel like I have to lean forward, as if the balance of my bike is off, maybe that it's sagging in the rear? I guess that the 5000 miles I did, with over 4000 with luggage and my weight could have weakened it, but I'm not sure. Maybe I am more aware of it as last weekend I test rode a Yamaha FJR1300ES, which has the electrically adjustable suspension and the Yamaha District Manager set it for me and maybe I am now feeling the overloaded stock suspension on my bike, but I wanted to get your opinion.

Maybe it's just the profile of the tires. Right now I can't justify spending the money on a different set of tires. I also already know that until I get my suspension set up/sprung properly for my weight, it's always going to be a little sub par. I am putting together savings for the DMr setup.

Ideas?

2. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    You could buy the FJR.

Seriously I think you got a lot going on there. I know you don't want to hear it but, handling issues with mismatched tires.
    Are you surprised by that? I'd start there, maybee make some suspension adjustments yourself.

You haven't mentioned your weight. Just that your bike is undersprung for your weight. Plenty of big guys here. Let us know, someone here could be your size. And may have some insight.

3. f3racer

f3racer New Member

i was looking through the racetech suspension bible, which you should buy cuz its just awesome.

it seems that aside from mismatched tires and buying suspension components, check the ride height. in some cases if your front end is alot lower than the rear it could cause push issues.

my personal opinion is that you will never be able to trouble shoot the issue if you have a known issue that still has not been addresses, such as the tires.

4. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I agree with both of you, i.e. that my problem may just be mismatched tires. As to my weight, I am 270, thankfully I am tall, but I still need to lose more. Down about 20lbs so far tho! You both got me thinking about my tires, as I never had these issues when I had both ends wrapped in PR3s.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  5. f3racer

f3racer New Member

let us know the outcome!!

6. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I'll let you know, but it will be a bit.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  7. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I have gone for a few rides and I can pretty much say with certainty it's the rear tire. The bike is somewhat unstable due the different profile, as the front leans inn differently than the rear. The Shinko 005 is a pretty flat profile tire, so when you lean into a curve, there is kind of a rapid progression into the lean whereas the front does so at a slightly different pace, so it is a bit of a weird feeling. I have had the Shinko spin a little coming out of a curve when I got hard on the throttle. It wasn't scary at all, actually pretty fun. Basically it felt like it "laid a darky" to use slang.

I definitely want to get new tires. I'm sure if I was commuting and not riding hard in the canyons, the Shinko tires would be fine, and I guess I am lacking confidence in my tires due to the different profiles, but when I ran the PR3s I never have been given pause about the tires, so to have to think about them is a little sapping of confidence. Hell, I bet if I just had the Shinko in front it would be better, but at the pace I ride, I just want the tires to be the last thing I am concerned with. I can get Bridgestone BT-016 near me for $164 a set and I can get PR-4 for $300, if they do the install. if I bring the wheels in, it's only $20 a tire.

I'll be saving my money up and do this and in the mean time, riding a lot more carefully.

8. OOTV

OOTV Insider

$164 for a set? That seems pretty damn cheap either that or the PR4's are just damn expensive! $20 for mounting is a fair price though, most place are $25 or more. Sometimes $40+ if you don't buy the tires from them.