Rear park lights

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by neufi, Aug 20, 2014.

1. neufi

neufi New Member

Hey all. May be a stupid question but I'm askin' anyways...haha. Still a little green to the bike scene and my new to me 1985 VF750F. I run the bike and the rear signal lights do not light up as park lights. They both flash when I select left or right turn, and the brake light functions properly and lights up as a park light. The front two signal lights do light up and function properly for turning. Are the rear signals supposed to light or are they just for signal purposes? If they are supposed to light up, are there any tricks or first spots to check? I plan on tracing the wiring tomorrow but if I can figure out where the most likely spot to check first, it'll save me some time.

Thanks

2. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Your rear turn signals should only come on when you activate the turn signals. The front turn signals should come on as running lights and flash when you activate the turn signals. So from the sounds of it the lights are working as they should.

By by the way, Welcome to the WORLD, and enjoy the bike. I still own a 1985 VF1000F, though it I currently resides with a friend in Calgary, so that it gets used from time to time. Love the VF1000F, and it is still a joy to ride even though it is nearly 30 years old.

3. neufi

neufi New Member

Thanks. You just saved me some time. I had mine for a quick, first rip up the road a couple nights ago and I'm hooked. Can't wait to get it plated and take it for a good run.

4. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :welcome: to the nuts house :wave: ^^^^^ what he said
    Make yourself like at home, ask if you have any question. There is no such dump question :thumb:

5. FMB42

FMB42 New Member

Some bikes run their turn signals as running lights and some don't. I asked a fellow (senior) mechanic about this many years ago and he basically said that, in some cases, the position and stalk length of the turn signal can result in one side not being seen by other drivers from certain angles. This can, of course, be a hazard for the rider when another driver mistakes a single visible running light as an illuminated TS.

Not sure if this is the case or not, but it sounded plausible to me...