Audiovox cruise control issues

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Zoober, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Zoober

Zoober New Member

Hey all, trying to get information on how to hook up this system, I believe it's CSS-100, audiovox electronic cruise.

I've currently got the unit wired into the #1 coil(Blue/Black wire) for coil feed, and into the brake light circuit at the tail light for the cutoff. Dip switches are set for 4000ppm, coil feed, tach only, and high power/low weight. Issue I was having was when I turned the cruise on and hit set, it would surge momentarily, then cut off. I checked the wiring for the tach/speed connections, found out neither was correct, and rewired it to the way it is now. Now, when I turn the unit on and hit set, nothing happens. Even if I hold accelerate, which before would produce a momentary surge before cutting off, nothing happens. I have a vacuum canister mounted on the right side of the frame, and for vacuum I've got it teed into the connection at the throttle bodies that feeds from all four of them. Not sure how to troubleshoot the unit, though from what I can see at the tach feed connection, I have about 1.1 volts AC at idle, up through about 8 volts AC at 7500RPM, so I know it's getting a good signal there.

Any advice on what to look at? My next step is to tear out all the electrical connections I've made on the unit and start from scratch, so I'm welcome to any ideas.

2. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I have installed a lot of cruise controls on cars, only one on a motorcycle so I can only toss in a bit of advise. On motor cycles I think the most important thing is the cable loop style hook up is not a good idea because the ratio of pull at the cable wheel is too small for the cruise control. It is designed for automobiles and the linkage is larger on cars and the surging issue is going to take a modification to the wheel to get the cable end located oot a bit where it has better leverage and travel on the wheel. As far as settings I am not sure what you have but PPM settings should be set higher than lower, gain low, timer setting 8cyl low,square wave VSS. Verify the vacuum IN the canister, it is the heart of what is going on. As long as your connections are good it should work, may want to verify the tach signal with a meter that can read it. Thats aboot all I got, good luck.

3. Zoober

Zoober New Member

UPDATE: So, I had one of the dip switches set wrong. Put it where is needed to go and the system works great! Works like factory. So, if anybody needs help with this system feel free to ask!

4. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    Where and for how much did you find the cruise control kit? This sounds like something I'd like to do to my bike(s).

5. Zoober

Zoober New Member