Having some serious troubles...

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Turbo883, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Turbo883

Turbo883 New Member

Hello everyone i'm new to the forums and to vfr's. I have been working on this bike for a few weeks. Its an 02 with 34k miles on it, non abs. It starts and idles just fine but after it gets to temp and I get a few houses down the street the bike dies.

Ive checked my battery and all my connections none are melted or anything (however i found that one had some clear jell in it). It has had the recall fixes done to it as well. Ive added fresh gas to the tank.

It seems to bog down when I give it more throttle while moving then picks back up. Its fine while on center stand. And when I decelerate to stop is when it shuts down generally.

Any help is very much appreciated.

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Welcome to The World! Since this is not your introductory post per se, I'll spare you the pics are needed speech. That being said, I am assuming you have checked the air filter and have at least gone through the wiring harness for other known issues like fried connectors. Also, does it restart right away or do you have to wait a while for it to start again?

3. Turbo883

Turbo883 New Member

Yes i have checked the harness for other known trouble areas. And i have to wait awhile for it to fire back up.

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

When this happens again, pop the gas cap and listen for a rush of air, if it sounds like a bunch of air just rushed into the tank, leave it cracked just enough to let air flow in and see if it starts right away and see if it happens again. I've seen this issue where the gas cap vent gets clogged and does allow air to replace the gas leaving the tank and creates a vacuum and starves the bike of fuel, mind you this really affects gravity fed systems but worth a look see.

5. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Let get to know the bike a little bit....
    Did she ran fine when you first purchase?
    What is the maintenance history on the bike?
    Check battery to make sure it is healthy and hold charge
    Check air filter for rats net as mention above, pull all the plugs and check for any oil.
    Drain all the old gas and fill in with fresh gas add a bottle of Techtron or Seafoam ride the bike around the block for hour and report back.

6. Turbo883

Turbo883 New Member

Bike ran about 4 months ago then got left out for about 2 months untouched then I bought it and let it idle for a few minuets. Other than that was waiting for a part that came in the other day. Battery is brand new. Drained the tank then put in fresh gas and half a can of seafoam. Which I took back out and put in a 5 gallon can to lift the tank to get to the air cleaner. Cleaned the air cleaner. Will check the tank like OOTV suggested tomorrow after work.

The bike had been previously laid down before the person i bought it from got it. All the mechanical components were fixed (enough to ride it at least). Still has some cosmetic damage from that incident.

7. Turbo883

Turbo883 New Member

I got the bike out and rode it down the road I opened the gas cap every few minutes and it didn't die but once. I came home and blew some air into the vent tube and went out again. I was good for awhile but a few times under somewhat strong breaking and when i grabbed for a handful of throttle it died on me. I flipped the kill switch off then back on and tried to start it but no luck. I tried again and gave it a little gas. It sounded like it was bogging down for a few seconds but then the rpm's shot up and it was fine.

8. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Very strange symptom........Do you have PCIII install on the bike?
    Power Command any kind?

9. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    California bike with charcoal canister down behind front pipes? Have seen other threads about canister getting gas in it. (would be related to leaving cap open). Also check if all vacuum lines are in right spot.

10. VFR Love

VFR Love New Member

United States
    The gel in the connection was likely dielectric grease - basically a conductive grease to keep moisture out. It's a good thing. Maybe a clue that something connected on that area of the harness gave trouble before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Turbo883

Turbo883 New Member

Have run the bike around a bit and seems to be doing just fine will have to get it out on a longer run when i get the chance though to make sure im not going to have further issues.

12. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Don't like contradict others, but a "Dialetric" is an insulator, not conductor, however, you are right, it protects the connection, but should only be applied after cleaning and connecting.

For example, the layer in between the foil layers in a capacitor is called the "dialetric".

13. VFR Love

VFR Love New Member

United States
  14. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator? Get the injectors cleaned too. How's your temps?

15. VIFFER RIDER

VIFFER RIDER New Member

United States
    Map
    Dejavu, thats what happened to my 2002, except mine got gradually worse as the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm tore and gradually got to the point my engine was being flooded with fuel. Check to see if any fuel residue in the vacuum lines or see traces of flooded gas in the when you crack open the TB and look down.