Just a short trip on my VFR ...

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by carlgustav, Aug 21, 2014.

1. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

So I took a little trip over the past weekend. Rode my VFR from AL -> NC & back to AL. A couple of prep pix:
    Had to get my instrumentation set up ya know ...
    View attachment 28637
    And load up ...
    View attachment 28638

On Fri. I headed out. I knew it was going to be a good trip when I was passed at high speed by a woman on a sportbike adorned in the finest squid protective gear; helmet, pink backpack, t-shirt, shorts, and tennis shoes. I had to run up to 110+ to catch up, and hold 100+ to stay with :loco:. Would have been a shame if she had taken a tumble as she had nice legs. Later I stopped somewhere in the Nantahala forest area & took a couple of shots:
    View attachment 28639 and
    View attachment 28640

It was a good ride through this area following 64E. Got to Salisbury, NC & checked into my hotel. Had to rest up for a weekend of fun at the Cornerspin school. Rode to the school on Sat. morning & got started ... crashing :lol:. I think I may have actually taken a course in crashing as I managed to do a bunch of it. My knee is still sore from one of my first 'offs'. But, it was a good time on small bikes with other crazy folks :biggrin:. Had dinner Sat. nite with fellow students & school staff at a local restaurant. I needed that margarita. I recommend this school, Aaron & his staff are good people. And here are some obligatory stills of my prowess (or lack thereof):
    View attachment 28641 and
    View attachment 28642

See, I'm ambidextrous, I can crash to both sides :biggrin-new:. Actually, crashing was just an expected event & many of us were in the same boat. Here's a short vid of kind of a lap:

http://youtu.be/e3bopQbuqCg

Sorry about the camera angle, I didn't really have this worked out or planned, just kind of threw the GoPro on my helmet Sun. afternoon. The track configuration, direction of travel, etc., changed up throughout the weekend based on the drills/practice. Towards the end of the vid I come off track making a save that kept the coach behind me from getting intimate with my butt. Good thing we were on 8 hp bikes (XR100s/150s, yam 125s & such) & running at a whopping 15 - 20 mph :lol:.

On Mon. it was time to head home. Came back a slightly different route that took me down along the Nantahala river:
    View attachment 28643 and
    View attachment 28644

I was pretty tired by now, but had only gotten dumped on by rain once so far. Temps were moderate & the ride was pleasant for a good ways towards home. The day wore on & I reached the Ocoee area:
    View attachment 28645 and
    View attachment 28646

From there it was a 'hop, skip, and a jump' to get home. At the TN/AL state line the skies opened up & I rode another 2 hrs through storms :doh:. But it's all good as I made it back in one piece and my little VFR didn't let me down :rockon:.

So, 990 miles on the road & a butt-load of hours on a dusty track trying to figure out how to keep a little bike with street tires upright in sandy dirt, & I think I'd be willing to do it all again :thumb:.

Enjoy, or don't, your choice :smile:.

ACE

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Sounds like you had a blast.

I am impressed by the riders eye view of the crashes! Looks like I will have to check out GoPro mounts.

At least you managed to keep the RWB the right way up even if you got dusted by the Pink Lady!

Take care and do it again.

SkiMad

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Thanks for sharing :thumb: