A oem 8,000 chain could be losing 7 HP!

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by sunofwolf, Aug 23, 2014.

1. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I was just reading about chains and it looks like a old chain still not totally gone could be causing enough friction to burn up as much as 7HP due rubber rings being worn out. So I was looking at the 520 sprocket kit with DID best chain rated for a 1200 bike. I would bet it would add back a couple HP that I am losing due to friction of a old OEM chain now 9years old and 7,000+ miles of hard use + lose about 2 pounds of drive tran weight which is a lot. So I ordered the chain kit 520-no rush to put it on however-I want to really clean up the old chain with kerosene and use some HQ Belay Lube. I actually find chains really cool how they work and on the VFR its super easy to adj chains with the single swing arm and oil the chain up too now that I have figured out my old R6 rear stand will lift it into the air-center stand no good for me on a wood floor.:spider::blah::couch2::moony::whoops::mech::tsk::fish::nelson::mechanic::bolt:

2. VIFFER RIDER

VIFFER RIDER New Member

United States
    Map
    7000 miles is a early death for a chain of 530 size, were you not taking care of the chain? I have 20k miles and mine are still like new.

3. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    Troll, Troll, Troll....

4. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Oh nooooooo not again..........

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    :chaingun::butterfly::whoo::crutch::bug::wof:Old chain was out of adj when I got it and needed lube, I don't think it is gone yet, but a new chain has to work better, I put a 520 on my r6 and it felt a lot lighter down low and rev up faster too. this new type of DID chain is supposed to last 40% longer, so using chain tech- 40%-15%=25% longer than the OEM chain, I don't think that the math is correct: However-lets just say the 520 chain DID with latest tech=OEM chain DID 530. Candyrider has 25,000 on 520 chain DID extreme, so that's close enough to OEM 530. Anyway the 520 is also gold-so its much more sexy too with coated black rear sprocket.

6. thegreatnobody

thegreatnobody New Member

Map
    Cool, well after you put it on, review your data analysis and tell us, in your expert opinion, if it was worth it or not.

We here at VFRW are completely clueless about bikes and we need helpful info like this.

7. DfnsMn69

DfnsMn69 New Member

Make sure and check your chain stretch as well.

8. NormK

NormK New Member

I have 50,000ks on the chain on my CB750F and it still looks and feels like new and don't expect to ever need to replace it, only doing a few thousand ks on it a year now

9. Voided76

Voided76 New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm sure it's way faster. now that you've freed up all those pent up horsepowers that the air filter and slipon are producing all by themselves, I'm sure you will be trying to keep the bike from looping when it hits Vtec.

but make sure to tell us how it does.

10. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    the pipecross air filter is excellent and the 2 bos slip on saved 19.5 pounds -works perfect and I have a extra muffler. They add some extra HP-how much I don't know. But my experience with gas makes me believe 87 is the best in this engine something I find hard to believe. The vfr seems to be very picky to what kind of gas it likes with 91 it started to surge at 5100-rpm. My old r6 was not picky with gas, but it had four carbs. I think I may have figured out a way of getting a bit more useable power cheaply-it looks like the Hot chain kit is 16front spocket with 45 spocket. I think its gear a little too high at least for me-in first it starts off too fast and with saddlebags its gear too high in 6th gear. I have read other people seem to like the 16f and 45R gearing and it doesn't seem to eat up a bunch of gas which was a concern. spocketcenter has a chain kit that looks perfect too me- 16f and 45R steel spockets 520 DID top of the line chain for $210 shipped. Nothing I did didn't work out well except fall down because I am not a iron man yet-working on that one too. I pick the bike up myself-which was a first-didn't know I could do that-Bad Billy said I couldn't. I guess if you don't try-you will never know if you can do it or not!:defence::couch2::spider::smash:

11. highway star

highway star New Member

United States
    Map
    Dyno results with a new chain are: ??

12. thegreatnobody

thegreatnobody New Member

Map
    You repeat the same things over, and over, and over. Geez, your a freaking broken record. All of your "testing and data" you do is all old hack. The bike has been out since the 80s, essentially, and all the info you could possibly want is a Google search away.

You talk as if your the first one who has ever done this crap, news flash hero, you're not. Also we don't need constant updates about your life, cause honestly, no one cares. Not trying to be mean, just honest. Its like showing vacation photos to someone who wasn't there. Nobody's interested in them unless they are in them.

Your wanting to learn about the bike and enjoy it, great. We want to help, but you are seriously annoying and don't listen to decades worth of experience and advice. Your like a child, really.

13. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I would never dyno anything-it costs way too much dough. If it feels faster that's all I need to know. If you read about chains as they wear they all start eating up a bit of HP due to friction-DID chain are excellent at not robbing power. There has to be some HP gains compared to a new 520 chain and a old 530 chain. That maybe why some people pick up gas mileage when getting a new chain. It looks like I am going to need a speedo healer because I want to run a 45 rear sprocket or could I guess add 5mph because the speedo is show I am going slower than I really am? Gee this cost so much dough $210 plus $70 for a speedo healer. I am having second thoughts? Maybe I will just clean+ lube the old chain and change the oil-I all ready have that stuff :encore::encore::encore:

14. VFR Love

VFR Love New Member

United States
    It's spanking season, and I got a hankerin to do some spankerin
    -Homer Simpson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    DONT REPLY TO THIS **^##*
    IT WILL GET THE HINT HOPEFULLY
    :eek::mad:

16. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Well taking care of chain is worth doing for sure and its not easy. Too little adj cost chain life and HP and is not easy too really set right by one person. I did buy that high tech DID zux chain setup for a 520 sprockets. I saw some people who compared a 530 to a 520 and dyno said 1.5HP increase, 2 pounds less weight and I added 2 teeth to the rear sprocket so this setup is a real performance up grade. I am going to save the OEM chain and sprockets that is only half worn out-I will be able to inspect the old chain real close with it off the bike-maybe save it for a long trip. I like to tinker and I will be able to make the chain work better with a 520 setup which has a wear factor of 3500 with DID latest super street chain, a 530 chain has a wear factor of 4000 or 1/7 more than a 520 DID-these are the best chain made from what I can tell. My project is turning into a total success:fish::tsk::mech::mech::mech::mech::hitit:

17. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    ..............[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. 74ullc

74ullc New Member

I haven't been here long and already agree.....but just one more thing.....maybe we should post this in all his threads....

[video=youtube;b87Zo6a16SA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b87Zo6a16SA[/video]

19. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Braindead babble. ......you no speak good any SOT

20. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Holy Crap! Where did you find that? That was awesome!