2014 Break-in Done

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by chief47, Aug 27, 2014.

1. chief47

chief47 New Member

Map
    Picked up the Interceptor last Saturday and hit the 600 mile mark this past Sunday. The suspension is pretty much set up.
    I did several laps today on a local favorite ride (Ute Pass Road) I’m getting to know the bike better and am very happy with its performance. Once I change the oil, I’ll be using the entire power band more often. The brakes are truly amazing. I’ve ordered some shorty levers & some soft waterproof luggage.

Here's a video of Ute Pass. Still experimenting with camera settings and mounting.

[video=youtube;uasFXwMNzqw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uasFXwMNzqw[/video]

2. metallyguitarded

metallyguitarded New Member

Map
    That's a beautiful road/scenery and what a great bike to take it all in from. I never get tired of hearing that lovely V4 growl. You seemed to pick up a lot of mechanical noise when the camera was behind your right calf and a lot of wind noise when it was mounted to your helmet. I know you said you're experimenting with positions and I'm looking forward to more videos when you get it dialed in just right. There's a guy on YouTube who does motorcycle reviews and he shoots through his face shield with the camera mounted inside the helmet on the chin bar. Reduces the wind noise quite a bit and allows him to narrate his ride. Not that you'd be into talking us through the ride but at least something else to try as you're playing around with camera positioning.

Congrats on the new bike! And thanks for the video!

3. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    Holy crap geezus on a cracker you wind the hell out of the engine for no more accellerating than you're doing!

4. chief47

chief47 New Member

Map
    A remote mic was mounted under the pillion cover. No wind noise, but enhances the exhaust note. No mic was used for the helmet mount. I need to get a longer mic cord for that.

Holy crap geezus on a cracker you wind the hell out of the engine for no more accellerating than you're doing

The road is a steep uphill grade, engine never at full throttle and not more than 10K rpm. When all four valves open up, the noise level is greatly enhanced. (The 45 mph speed limit was never exceeded.) :)

5. metallyguitarded

metallyguitarded New Member

Map
    I loved the exhaust sound. (Especially considering that you never broke 45mph...) But you hear what I'm talking about, right? I called it mechanical noise but don't know what it actually was. Bits of gravel pinging off the undercarriage? And there's definitely what sounds to be wind noise when on the helmet, like white noise from a blank channel turned way up on an analog tv. Are you saying a mic used when the camera is on the helmet will cut that down/out? I have no idea. I've never run cameras while riding. We have some cool roads down here. Maybe I should give it a shot.

6. chief47

chief47 New Member

Map
    A remote mic mounted inside the helmet or behind the windscreen will cut out a lot of the wind noise. This will cut out the internal camera mic completely.

7. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    That looks like a pretty nice road. I'll have to check it out someday. I just recently learned of CR77 (Tarryall Rd) from 285 at Jefferson to Hwy 24 at Lake George. It's one of the best roads I've ever ridden (on my 2007...haven't done it on the new bike yet). FYI, I decided to follow the break-in technique of "ride it like you stole it". So far, so good :eagerness:

8. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Think of new bikes/cars as a chain-saw. If someone walks in and buys a new chain saw, they don't break it in sawing twigs right? Just change your oil frequently on the first few hundred miles, vary your RPMs and don't get it too hot. Cool down cycles are a good thing, also your rings were already seated when the bike got off the line in Japan/and the kid in your local dealership broke it oot of the krate and started/raced your engine.

Ride/drive it like you stole it works too btw :loco:

Nice video :thumbsup:

9. chief47

chief47 New Member

Map
    Haven't been on that one. Looks like it could be part of a good loop - Pine Junction, Deckers, Woodland Park, Lake George, Jefferson.

I'll head over there on the next nice day. Weather in the mtns. this week has been crappy.

10. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Its not broken in till you drop it.

11. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Unlike you, the rest of us know how to own/ride a bike without dropping it....ever!

12. Mgsst23

Mgsst23 New Member

Are you using a Go Pro here? Love the behind the calf mount where did you put it and what kind of hardware? Having alot of trouble figuring out where to put camera on VFR but I need it for traffic recording in event of an incident since I ride in urban areas.

13. chief47

chief47 New Member

Map
    The camera is a Drift HD Ghost SA using a GoPro Jaws clamp and flexible wand and mounted on the rear footpeg. I chose the Drift for a few reasons, waterproof without a plastic outer case, includes a remote control that can actually be used while riding, and the cameral lens swivels independent of the camera body. Also, with a simple adaptor, you can use all of the GoPro mounting hardware. I've ordered the suction cup mount for use on the tank.

Here are pics:
    IMG_20140831_070633718[1].jpg IMG_20140831_070944751[1].jpg

" but I need it for traffic recording in event of an incident since I ride in urban areas."

The Drift has a software function for just that reason. You have to have the camera plugged in to your bike for power, then it can record a continuous loop until you choose to have it save an event by using the remote control.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  14. Mgsst23

Mgsst23 New Member

Thanks Chief and Shinigami! There are a ton of better options than GoPro nowadays, I heard JVC makes a really good one too. How much was yours? I'm semi loyal to Go Pro because after their handlebar mount sheared my whole camera off my Duc in BFE Ohio last year they replaced all of it for free. Who knew about tethers? Not this idiot!
    The rear foot peg is never going to come off anyway even though I want it to. As a female my passenger options are limited to bookbags with too much shit in them that I don't really need.
    Glad the new VFR is getting some love I ordered mine and it arrived in July VIN 000046 and there was a considerable amount of hate on it due to it's price. First time VFR owner always always wanted one since I started riding again. I love My Honda VFR! I would marry it if it was legal in PA.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  15. chief47

chief47 New Member

Map