VFR800 ´98 army green project

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by bjorn17, Aug 27, 2014.

1. bjorn17

bjorn17 New Member

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster here.

Bought a ´98 VFR800 with 78k km on the clock. Left side crashed by previous owner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rode with it for 1000km or so and decided the deal was good and it is time to make it better.

4 days of hard work and this is the result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Later on also a video that I captured in time lapse.

Now I have a problem - the left side lower fairing bolt was missing, I bought the new original Honda bolt just to find out the mounting point is missing. Does anybody have a picture of the left side fairing removed and the probably metal mount visible? I bought the original Honda mount part from the dealer, but I can not seem to find a place where it mounts to the motor or frame.

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Welcome to The World Bjorn! Good job with posting pictures your first post. Interesting choice in color, are you a military buff or in the military? Definitely easy to spot your bike in the city, not sure about out in the country :wink:

Anyway, I can't get a picture for you right now, but maybe later today, are you talking about the one at the very bottom, right in front of the kick stand?

3. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Try looking for the mount on bikebandit...there you can bring up a diagram.. oh and great job there buddy boy

4. bjorn17

bjorn17 New Member

Hi guys, thanks for the super fast replies.

It is part nr. 12 I believe on this diagram:
    [​IMG]

The part I got from the dealer looks similar, not 100% but close. The thing is that without taking the left fairing off I can not see where the mount should mount :)

5. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    I actually like the green on there! You know what would really look cool? If you put the VFR and HONDA letters back on in military font!

[​IMG]

Or, if you are really good with painting, something like this:

[​IMG]

As much as I like the green, I think the windscreen may be too much though. I can't tell from the picture if the original was scuffed or not, but if it must be painted I think flat black would look better.

If you a handy and trust yourself, you can bring the faded black plastic pieces back to pretty if you use a heat gun on them very carefully. If you don't trust that method, you can also soak them in pledge or silicon brake fluid (I think it is DOT 5). If you want to try the brake fluid, make double sure it is the silicon stuff.

6. bjorn17

bjorn17 New Member

Hey,

when I finished the paintjob I actually was about to order VFR800 on military font white letters stickers on both sides. But then I started looking at the fairings and I could not find a suitable spot for them, neither the correct size. So I didn´t order them.

About the windscreen AND mirrors - I already had ordered and received an Airblade windscreen for my FVR just to find out that it does not fit very well. The old one was in pretty bad shape so I just decided to paint that and mirrors as well with one go. Now the Airblade has been now fitted, but it is a crappy product, DO NOT recommend it. One of the ears broke when trying to force it into place. New condomless VFR800 2000-2001 mirrors received today, going to install in the weekend perhaps. New pics then.

And P.S. It is a pretty unique bike in my country, haven´t spotted many OD colored bikes this year at all, definitely no VFR800.
    And sorry for the bad english, not my first language you know.

7. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, you are going to like those 00-01 mirrors. The condoms are just ugly! An idea for the white lettering: Get some stencils and some white Plastidip and go crazy!

8. nookiaz

nookiaz New Member

United States
    Map
    That muffler looks like a rear-firing missile canister or some sort of missile housing. Goes well with the bike's color I think...

9. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    You did one heck of a job that's for sure. The quality really shows through. But I'm not fond of the color, olive drab has never done it for me. Even, maybe especially, when I was in the military.

10. yellow99

yellow99 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Nice one. Different take on a VFR

11. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I use to have green wheels-I have a green muffler!

12. Leedawg

Leedawg New Member

Map
    Cool looking bike! I LIKE

13. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

On my 6th gen. the left side lower fairing mount bracket bolts into a mounting boss that's cast right into the oil pan.

Since the oil pan on my '03 is exactly the same as the one on your '98 I'm betting that's where it will mount on your bike too Bjorn.

By the way,the Olive drab paint scheme looks cool. I even like the matching painted windscreen and mirrors. :thumb:

[​IMG]

14. OOTV

OOTV Insider

It always seems like when anyone needs a picture of what something looks like, Stosh has a picture of it! Kudos Stosh, I wouldn't be able to get pics until tomorrow.

15. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Not only that, it is in Technicolor!

16. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

Thank you gentlemen. I'm here to help if I can.

17. bjorn17

bjorn17 New Member

I will try to take the left side fairing off this weekend and see if I can mount the mount on there :)

In the mean time - I really do not have much luck with ordering parts for my FVR. First the Airblade windscreen was a bad fit (their problem, but still). Now I tried ordering the VFR800 2000-2001 condomless mirrors for my VFR and guess what - they came with a 40mm base, not 50mm as needed. Will need to send them back and find some new ones. It really is a shame - they were nice and ok for the price (some 60 eur with shipping for a pair).

18. VFR Love

VFR Love New Member

United States
    You might be able to find adapters to make the 40 adapt to the 50mm mount.

Or not- I just realized you don't have stem mount mirrors but fairing mount ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Skifreak

Skifreak New Member

United States
    Map
    If your bike is olive drab, you gotta have a helmet like this.

image.jpg

So glad you rescued a VFR. Nice to see it back on the road, and in such a unique scheme.

20. bjorn17

bjorn17 New Member

Well, so much for my golden plan.

Since we only have 1 month or so left of good riding season, I decided not to wait for the new mirrors, but make the ones I have fit. I used one of the old mounting holes, drilled and tapped a new one at 40mm and made a 2mm thick mount plate, same size as original one. I also used original plate rubbers that go underneath them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up I decided to take a look at the fairing mount. At first I still did not understand where it should go. After I bolted the mount to the fairing I got the full picture. It seems that when the previous owner decided to put the bike down on its left side, it broke the oil pan? mount right off. Now I do not have a TIG welder (oil pan is ALU, correct?) and I did not fancy drilling and tapping the left over material with 3mm thread, so I just left it there. Less wrenching = more riding time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]