My NEW 86 VFR 700 Project

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Camshaft, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Camshaft

Camshaft New Member

New to this game, vfrs and motorcycles, have some questions and concerns.
    For starters, when i got it ( 86 vfr700f ), it looked like it was dropped on the left side but mechanically nothing seemed to stem from that (fairings and fairing mounts).
    It would only run on a choke and on throttle above 2k- i read about this on here and it seemed that short of tearing down the carbs then invoking your chosen savior's name, nothing could be done of the issue. Fuel pump is lame but i'm going to hot wire it and check. Going to tear down carbs and invoke my chosen savior's name ( might be god, afterwards curses- who knows) thanks to toecutter.
    Tank has rust, but i'm not sure what to do. I'm pretty set on mighty metal or electrolysis, but po-15 might clog the metal filters inside the tank- what do?
    Also,i have a leak from the tank to the fuel line through the petdick that flows constantly so i ordered a new one of those hoping it to work and allowing me a spare crappy one- atheismo willing.
    Radiator fan wasn't running due to a blown fuse, promptly replaced but wary of possible problems.
    Oil looks like diarrhea but i can't get the motor running because of the aforementioned so would it be ok to just replace what i can?
    I have hoses and no manual, yet- and I really have no clue what they're for. The one taken with shaky cam is the coolant overflow (don't wan't to miss if i'm mistaken), the one behind the kickstand goes to my rear shock it seems, and not shown, under the tank there's a connector for the overflow under the lid, does that connect to that hose in between the carbs?
    And whats the deal with air line filters? its wrong (sung to the tune of you're local belfry and Dr.Cox)
    Yes it's white, although it isn't marked vfr- only interceptor on the rear faring. And yes, it is torn down partly atm, very astute observation observer observing i see. Hm yes.
    Any knowledge would be most appreciated, because however much money my father thinks i have, between this and car work, i'd very much like to stay away from the dealer.

Attached Files:

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Engine is of primary concern. You say oil looks like crap, oil that is light brown and opaque usually mean water in the oil. If it's just dirty, change it. Get some cheap oil and a filter and change oil. Run it for as long as you can and check oil again, if it gets crappy again, you have a blown head gasket or cracked head. Don't put any money into unless engine is OK.

3. Camshaft

Camshaft New Member

ah, well besides being tedious would changing the head gasket be any problem (maybe besides the frame in the way ( or will i have to remove the engine entirely?))
    also i really need the manual to make sure i'm not doing anything hindering my observations.

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Head gasket would be major PITA, as this is an overhead cam engine.

5. Camshaft

Camshaft New Member

............ meaning :| ?

6. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Timing chain to deal with, if it accidentally drops into crankcase!

Or is this a gear driven engine? Not sure when they started that.

I think a compression test would be a good indicator first.

7. Camshaft

Camshaft New Member

Gears baby. And I'll look into that

8. Camshaft

Camshaft New Member

Also the oil didn't have water

9. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Good, have fun with it, keep us posted.

10. Camshaft

Camshaft New Member

so can i get some input on that hose from the rear shock?
    and the fuel tank?
    also pics show some more stuff that I don't understand: 1 :this plugged connector, 2: is that wire bundle supposed to go behind the starter solenoid,3 : is this the correct route for the wire under the preload adjuster,4: whats up with this rusty hook (what goes here), 5: and is this wire supposed to be covered?

otherwise, my fuel pump works (praised be odin!), breaking down the carbs tomorrow, and i'll start a new thread documenting that because i don't have anything better to do. Fairings later

11. Camshaft

Camshaft New Member

IMG_1937[1].jpg IMG_1933[1].jpg IMG_1934[1].jpg IMG_1936[1].jpg IMG_1935[1].jpg

sorry they are all cattywompus

12. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    PDF versions of the manuals used to be available here on this site but last time I looked, those links were broken. I think the links are still up and running over at VFRD. They are large files, but I think you would be well advised to download one for yourself. If you had a 6th gen, I would burn you a disc and send you a copy, but such is not the case. Wrench on my friend, wrench on.