Cam chain tensioner noise after oil change

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by VFR Love, Aug 29, 2014.

1. VFR Love

VFR Love New Member

United States
    I put in Mobil1 and now there is cam chain slap where there was none before.

Anybody heard of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. rigger4343

rigger4343 New Member

Map
    I had the same thing happen to mine. Did an oil change around 500-800 miles ago and noticed the same noise right after the oil change. It was the first oil change I have done on mine, not sure what was in it but I know it was nothing special and I had Mobil 1 Synthetic so its is what I decided to use. It was really loud at first but got better. I still hear it some but not as often. Not sure if I can say it is because of the synthetic oil or not. I had posted about this on the other VFR site and most people seemed not to worry about it. My bike is getting close to 18,000 miles on it. I was thinking of changing the cam chain tensioner but maybe I will go back to standard oil on the next change and see if the CCT noise goes away or stays. If it goes away, I may just stay with a good non-synthetic.

3. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    The major goal of any lubricant is to reduce friction. Pure Synthetic oils (Mobil 1 & Amsoil) do this better. The synthetic oil only revealed an existing problem or slightly worn tensioner by reducing the friction. Synthetics do not contain all the polymers that are added to standard oils to make them multi-viscosity oils. These polymers degrade the day you start using the engine, that is why you need to change oil more often. Amsoil makes a heavy duty synthetic fleet oil that only needs to be changed every 35K miles!

4. Radicalwillie

Radicalwillie New Member

I too have had CCT noise immediately after using mobil 1. I have since switched to Valvoline 4T Full Synthetic and it has quieted it back down. Make sure you are not overfilling the oil, that can make the CCT act up as well. I try to make sure that the oil level is centered in the sight window. If I fill it to the top line, CCT will make a racket with any oil. Interestingly, My wife's V6 Honda accord which uses the same style CCT that our bikes use would occasionally chatter with Mobil 1. No doubt its a great oil, but for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to agree with Honda CCTs.

5. VFR Love

VFR Love New Member

United States
    Thanks for the replies. I'll try dropping the oil level to mid window and ... Is there anything I can add to the oil to thicken it? Like maybe some straight 40?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    drain some oil out and add some 10-50 Castrol rt to thicken up the oil a tad. I run Castrol because it cost $7 a qt and is a full syn oil and comes in 05-40,10-40 and 10-50, these bikes run very hot. The only reason Honda doesn't rec 10-50 is because they want to sell their junky oil. Syn oil is different than dino oil and flows much faster than dino oil. syn oil also can stand heat much better.

7. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    dropping the oil level will make it worse-read it on the center stand-it should be just below the top line.