5th Gen Charging System – Post Trauma Review

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by BAMiller, Aug 29, 2014.

1. BAMiller

BAMiller New Member

I have a stock 98 5th gen with 20k miles. Recently, I had ridden 140 miles toward a 150 mile destination, when it stopped dead on the x-way. I had no problems or warnings whatsoever until then, and had stopped at 110 miles for gas, where it started up with no problem, just like always. After getting it off the highway, I started checking things out.

First thing apparent was the 3 year old battery was severely discharged, trashed and could not be recharged. There was no evidence of heat damaged wiring or connectors, corrosion, and no fuses were blown. The alternator/stator tests (in the shop manual) indicated alternator/stator was good. I suspected the OEM R/R because I’ve read so much about it in the forums. So I got a new battery and an upgraded R/R from Wire my Bike. Installed them, It started right up, and seems to run good as new. All the battery/charging system tests are good. I’m a little confused about the R/R test. Seems to check the battery and ground, and the yellow stator wires again (at the R/R connectors), and says if they are all to spec, replace the R/R. Not exactly testing the R/R.

I had tested the charging system about a year ago, and all seemed in spec. I’ve got a couple questions for some of you more experienced VFR mechanic types, and would be glad to hear any comments or suggestions about this event, and how to avoid a replay someday.

1. On the highway, when the bike stuttered before shutting down completely, the red FI light blinked a few times, and also displayed as a blue N light (alternating from the same instrument warning light position) a few times. I could find no references to the meaning of the Blue N light in the shop manual. Does this mean there are some other potential problems that I need to be checking out, even if everything seems OK at this time? All warning lights are functioning normally now.
    2. With new battery and R/R, and no apparent problems with connectors or wiring; Is the VFRness a significant improvement to the OEM wiring? Will it really protect and preserve the battery & charging system better than the OEM wiring?

2. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    IMO, the single most important thing you could add right now is an easily viewable VOLTAGE METER....it's your first indication of any electrical gremlins. If you have zero wiring issues, that's what I would do.

3. NormK

NormK New Member

And even if you have no wiring issues just do it Honda really want fucking for this constant problem

4. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I am not exactly sure what you meant by that but I agree.

5. BAMiller

BAMiller New Member

Thanks for responding to this thread guys.

Voltmeter sounds like a real smart addition. I'm a little tapped out this month, but will make a good off-season project.

Not exactly sure, but I think you guys are endorsing the VFRness, as a significant improvement to the charging system wiring.

I'm pretty sure the Red F1 light flashing was just the bike in "on" position, without the engine running (as it does before you hit the starter). I sure would like to know what it meant when it changed to a blue light with letter "N".

Thanks again for the responses. Maybe someone else will know about the blue "N" light means.

BAMiller

6. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Orange ground buss is common failure for 5th gen
    Symptom of ground buss is wierd glowing and flashing of FI light because of back feeding. Usually not related to charging issues though.
    [​IMG]

7. BAMiller

BAMiller New Member

I had not looked at the orange ground buss as it was taped up in the wiring harness. I got into it, and could find no evidence of any heat damage or discoloring such as your pic. Glad I checked it out though. Thanks