Back off Q!

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Getn off, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Getn off

Getn off New Member

United States
    Map
    Looking to purchase a Back Off tail light flasher but not sure if my tail lights are led or not! Anyone know for sure? I think they are led, but don't want to order the wrong one if I am wrong.
    Thx,
    Troy

2. Getn off

Getn off New Member

United States
    Map
    Thank you.
    Troy

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I put one of those modules on mine when the tail lights were incandecent. Worked well. Never got rear ended anyways. I changed the tail lights bulbs to LED and there was no issue with the flash at all. Still works fine.

4. metallyguitarded

metallyguitarded New Member

Map
    I've had those tail light flashers on all my bikes except the VFR ('07). When I looked, a couple years ago, I couldn't find one that fit our bikes. If there's one out now, I'd like to get one. I noticed in the past that after installing it, cars seemed to brake much sooner when behind me and gave me more room. I don't remember the name of the lights I used but they were a simple plug-and-play, would flash quickly at first, then slower, then maintain a steady red, all in about 5 seconds. If I was stopped and a car approached from behind after the light had gone solid, I would release the brake and re-apply. I'm sold on the idea. If you find one for the 6th Gen., post a link! I, for one, would appreciate it. Otherwise, I'll take another look and see what's out there.

5. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I'm just stepping out but will look up my relay part number later and post up. Mounted beneath the seat towards the back.

[​IMG]

6. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Make sure it complies with state (Prov) regulations on the number of flashes per second.

7. Getn off

Getn off New Member

United States
    Map
    http://www.jpcycles.com/product/340-094

This is the one I ordered. I also have had these on all my other bikes (some led) and would like to think they help. Anything has got to help. Using these, i don't have to keep pressing the lights when I see a car approaching.
    Troy

8. metallyguitarded

metallyguitarded New Member

Map
    I found what it was that I had used in the past - the Kisan Tailblazer: http://kisantech.com/mag/index.php/tailblazer.html?p=1 With that, the electronics are in the bulbs and no need to wire anything. Replace the stock bulb with the Kisan bulb and you're good to go. Problem (for me) is, it's available only for the 5th gen. The modulator Getn off linked to seems like the way to go. Thanks guys.

9. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    The Back Off XP is the one I have. It tucks easily under the tail cowl from beneath the seat. For some reason there are five wires on mine yet only three are used. The other two were just tucked away and taped up. Shop did mine so I don't know what the score is with that.

Closest I have ever come to being rear ended was a couple weeks ago in Campbell River while there for a funeral. Heard this awful screetching from behind and saw a Jeep Wrangler locked up. I was at a red light and there was cross traffic. What a sickening feeling. But he was stopped and he took off on a side street after saying something out the window. Had the tunes on so did not hear what. He was probably drunk cause there was a festival going on nearby.