Sport VS Cruiser

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by E.SLC., Aug 30, 2014.

1. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
    Why do we love sports (sportier/sport touring) rather than cruiser bikes much more?

In my case I have to repeat what Alaskan said before:

Nothing is more satisfying than entering a corner on the right line in the right gear and at the right speed and then speed up as you exit the corner.

That takes full concentration and that's what I really love about sport bikes.

2. kurtfriedrich

kurtfriedrich New Member

Every so many years I stop and think about all the corners I have flown thru, only to find a car pulling out, or diesel spill, or sand, etc and I decide I have been rolling the dice too long. Then I get a cruiser and ride the speed limit, smell the air, take in the scenery, and enjoy life at a slower pace. After doing that for about a year, I start going crazy with withdrawals, and trade the cruiser in on something that weighs about 400 lbs, and do it all again. Its not how long you live, its how you live.

3. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Malcolm Forbes, one of the richest men in the world, was asked why he rode motorcycles, he said "Life without risk isn't worth living". After a young doe jumped out in front me in a tight corner the other day, I thought about the wisdom of that comment, then a couple corners later I felt that feeling Alaskan was talking about. At nearly 70 (Oct), I wouldn't have it any other way.

4. lesj48

lesj48 New Member

United Kingdom
    it's been said before but i agree totaly , '' i don't want to arrive at the grave in a timely fasion with a well preserved body and a calm sense of wellbieng , but slide in sideways completely used up in body and soul screaming WHAT A F*****G RIDE.

5. Getn off

Getn off New Member

United States
    Map
    image.jpg

I can't decide what I like best. Some days cruiser...some days, sport.
    Troy

6. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    Corners and a capable bike sure make it easy to be present and in the moment, and that's what living to the fullest is all about. :VFR1200F:

7. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
    You bikes look great.

I like sports bikes but there is definitely times where a cruiser would be preferable.

I'll be hopefully adding a cruiser (or Monster 1200) to my VFR next year...

8. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    I have had at least one of each for 20 years plus and it is definitely a great combination.

9. jonmarsh

jonmarsh New Member

Map
    Reminds me of a saying we have in aviation... there are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots...

I think some how we have to manage a bit of both above. I was especially reminded about this when picking a sub at a local sandwich shop chain last Saturday (Togo's, northern CA) and the young lady behind the counter commented that she thought it was pretty rad that I was riding a bike, and did I just take that up... which gave me pause to recall when I started, and replay that "hey, in a week, it will be 50 years since I got my first bike at 14!".

I used to belong to a club in Colorado that sponsored and engaged in road track racing- that is even more fun, and safer than riding fast on pubic roads. But after the second guy was put in a coma in the same season, I figured maybe I should re-think that. Know your limits, you know? But going out on a non-competitive track day is a blast, whether on a bike or a fast car.

This June, when picking up the VFR1200 from Roseville Honda, and checking out some of the other bikes there, I wondered why Honda did the CTX1300, but I think I understand- because when I picked up my ST1300 back in Arkansas in late December 2010 (and rode it home to Northern CA over 4 days), the dealer was concerned if I would be able to handle the riding position (most of their older riders go for cruisers), and was relieved to hear that my other bike at that time was a '98 VFR800.

Still, I can't really imagine being on a CTX1300 or F6B... just not me. But at least, Honda is doing something other than Japanese V Twins. Maybe when I'm 80... :playful:

10. Tpoppa

Tpoppa New Member

United States
    Map
    Every design element of a cruiser is a compromise that that picks fashion over function. Low power, overweight bikes with extremely limited lean angles just aren't fun for me to ride. Even if they're really shiny.

11. kurtfriedrich

kurtfriedrich New Member

Maybe a bit of overstatement, but mostly too true. But there is something to be said for "putt-putting" along at the speed limit and just enjoying life in the slow lane. If I could add more bikes it would be in the this order
    1 - VFR1200 touring (have)
    2 - Ducati 1100 Monster for back road/mountain pass blasting and compromise track day bike (have)
    3 - Ducati 1198 for track days
    4 - KTM dual sport for forest service roads
    5 - Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe or Road Star for relaxing rides, maybe with the wife on the back
    6 - KTM pure off road trail bike
    7 - Gold Wing for when I want to go to the East Coast or Texas
    8 - Road Star based chopper, just for the art and the sound

12. Tpoppa

Tpoppa New Member

United States
    Map
    You can ride a fast bike slow. You can't ride a slow bike fast :)

I've owned 5-6 cruisers over the years (none for a while now). I learned to ride on cruisers.

The last cruiser I thought was fun to ride was the 94-03 Honda Magna V4.
    I had a 2011 HD fatboy as a loaner for 10 days when my Buell 1125R was in the shop with a part on backorder. That was without a doubt the LEAST fun I've ever had on 2 wheels. It was like driving a schoolbus with no power steering.
    The new Indain Scout is the first cruiser in a long time that has generated even mild interest for me. The specs are close to the Magna mentioned above.

13. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
    I was just (2 weeks ago) on a "Promotional" test ride at the Indian dealership. The scout is a very nice bike it just feels little under powered but very easy to handle and comfortable.

I love my VFR but riding 2 up it could be little hard for the passenger. That's the only time when I think about adding a cruiser.

14. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    "I love my VFR but riding 2 up it could be little hard for the passenger. That's the only time when I think about adding a cruiser."

You ever notice the passenger seat(?) on those things? I've known a few guys whose wives/girlfriends refuse to ride because the seats are so horrible. I always liked having my sweetie ride with me.

"You can ride a fast bike slow. You can't ride a slow bike fast :)" And that is so, so true. I can toddle along on my VFR and enjoy the scenery, which was one of the reasons for the Helibars. But watching some guys try to ride their Harleys fast/er down in Arkansas was no fun. They complained that the pace was too fast. So we ended up going 5 mph under the speed limit the next day on the way home. Booooring.

15. kurtfriedrich

kurtfriedrich New Member

Maybe you can, I have a hell of time riding a fast bike slow, unless I concentrate REALLY hard, them damn things just start going fast all by themselves! ("Honest officer, it was the bike, not me!")

16. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
    Do you think upgrading the seat would make it more enjoyable ?

17. Tpoppa

Tpoppa New Member

United States
    Map
    I would have told them I'd wait for them at the next stop sign. Why do HD riders insist on riding in tight parade formation?

18. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    I could never own a cruiser. It's not natural for me to ride with my feet sticking out in front of me. There's no balance to the bike AFAIC. Plus most cruisers don't have the ground clearance and the first corner I'd come to at speed I'd be dragging something. Not a good way to corner.
    Plus I like to be able to go fast where and when I want, most cruisers don't have a lot of power with their under square engines. Under square is for tractors, they need torque not power.

All your weight is on the seat. So if anything happens like bad road, off road there is no way to put the weight on the pegs,down low, and get off the seat to save your ass dirt bike style. No way Jose'. Both of those are safety deals for me.

There have been times where I came over a hill and I'm in a corner of some type. Sport=makes corner, cruiser=makes hospital. No thanks they are just not as fun to ride as a sportish, UJM or touring bike IMHO. They are made for straight line boulevard cruising and straight highways. Not my style of running.

I don't do assless chaps either!:moon: Isn't that one of the requirements??

19. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    That was what I told everyone the day before and I'd usually slow down on a straight stretch of road and wait for them to catch up. Everyone was cool with that, but they still thought we were going a bit too fast so the next day was slow to make up for it.

And they did want to ride in formation, even when the road turned twisty, which was one of the reasons they were going so slow. And it can't be any fun to constantly be aware of the guy who's riding right next to you and you're hoping he has everything under control and doesn't wander into your part of the lane. Not my thing at all. On the 4 lane roads I stayed at the rear so I didn't have to worry about some guy right next to me.

Plus I got to see "target fixation" in action too. One guy thought he was going too fast for a turn, he wasn't really, and he went off onto the shoulder and the guy behind him followed him right over. Nobody went down or even slid around, it was a wide shoulder and they were right back on the highway a second later.

20. Getn off

Getn off New Member

United States
    Map
    Love my overweight cruiser. 109ci dynoed at 112/108 at the wheel. The only bike I have nearly fallen off of at full throttle...well, besides my YZ 400 when I was 12! Lol tons of tq.
    Use it to the local watering holes and gym. Sport for just out having fun.
    Couldn't only have one over the other.
    Troy