leaking oil vf500 '84'

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by nic.mitchell, Aug 31, 2014.

1. nic.mitchell

nic.mitchell New Member

leaking oil from around the sump cant really tell but i cleaned off the oil and muck and found some sort of patch work IMG_2487.jpg any ideas what it is im thinking i might need a new sump?

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Looks like a PO hit something and cracked sump. Find used sump, or take it off and have it welded (heli-arc).

3. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Picture isn't exceptionally clear, but without cleaning all that "stuff" off it's impossible to say what the issue is. But I would hazard a guess that a new sump could be in your future. However, it may be just a crack, in which case it could be welded up and you'd be good to go. But it also could be that part of the motor where the sump mounts is cracked/broken in which case you have worse problems.

Need to get that gook off so you can tell exactly where you are.

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Get some environmentally friendly "Simple Green" and saturate pan/sump area full strength, maybe even use an old stiff brush and scrub, then hose off, then you will see what you are up against.

5. nic.mitchell

nic.mitchell New Member

i managed to take the exhaust off and took all the what looks like some kind of instant gasket and i cant see any leaks but the sump plug looks X threaded as it wont come out just keeps spinning after i took the sump off there was a creamy white substance sat in the bottom of the oil as if it had seperated. IMG_2525.jpg only place i can see leaking on the bike is near the gear box selector side any common leaks?

6. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Well the stuff the sump could be indicative of something serious or maybe not. Depends on the use. If you do lots of short runs then it could be condensation. If it is coolant then it's more serious and could be a leaking head gasket. Not unheard of on VF500s unfortunately.

7. nic.mitchell

nic.mitchell New Member

its been off the road since 1994 lol i had her running but just to make sure she worked ect as i bought it as a non runner