3rd gen seat cover

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by sean61, Sep 2, 2014.

1. sean61

sean61 New Member

Map
    Has anyone here recovered the seat on their 3rd gen? My seat kicks up a bit at the back and doesn't look great. I think it may be caused by a previous owner putting on a new cover and doing a bad job of it. There are covers for sale on ebay but a tried and tested cover would be a better buy if I can find one.

2. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    I gave up on that thought and just made a new seat and had a boat upholstery place cover it with my vinyl I picked out.

I do have a whole other stock seat in reserve for 2 up riding, but all my trips are single.

Larry

3. sean61

sean61 New Member

Map
    That sounds like the ideal fix but unfortunately I'm on a tight budget. Had you tried any covers or did you go straight for the new seat?

4. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Seagent Seats, they are in Jacksonville FL, nice seat cover for $60 US dollars. Look at third gen bikes umder PHOTOS and you will see it. Had a seat shop staple it on of not too much money. Came oot nice. Custom colours, basically, they will make what ever you want.

5. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Sorry for terrible typing :pound: Seargent Seats. :vtr2:

6. sean61

sean61 New Member

Map
    I'm in ireland so that probably rules them out. I might just try a cheap ebay cover and see what it's like. It can't be worse than what's on it already! Thanks for the replies anyway guys

7. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    On my last bike, a 97 VFR, I had a local upholstery company put a new cover on the stock seat and it only cost $50 installed. They used a product called 3 way stretch vinyl. The vinyl was a bit more grippy than the stock vinyl which helped hold you in place a bit better and was similar to the stuff they use on the seats of personal water craft. The seat cover lasted really well and I just recently purchased a Sargent seat off eBay that was from 2 different seats and had it recovered using the same product. Since this was a 2 piece seat it cost a bit more at $150 but I asked the upholstery company to add some gel to the driver portion of the seat before recovering it or it would have cost a bit less.

By the time you pay for the new seat cover and to have the new cover shipped to you, it may be cheaper to have a local company redo the seat. Just a thought.

8. FourOhs

FourOhs New Member

Zoom-zoom, that sounds like exactly what I need for my 4th gen seat. And since you're almost my neighbour, relatively speaking, who was the seat shop you used? Several years ago, after my flying bike sheared off a small tree (3" diam.), I had bigger repair concerns so I just "fixed" my torn seat with some black duct tape. That's now dessicated and coming off, and I'm finally looking to do a real repair/re-cover. A shop in Kelowna would be awesome. (Vernon would be ideal, but 30-40 minutes to Kelowna is awesome enough.)

9. sean61

sean61 New Member

Map
    I'll have to look into that. I'm sure there are plenty of upholstery companies near me to get a price off. I'll report back in a week or two!

10. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey Four

Had the seat redone through a freind of mine named Terry at 1st Class Vinyl. Terry does vinyl repairs and such for the local auto dealers and he gave my seat to a friend of his named Chantal. The guy that did my VFR750 seat a few years back is in behind the Sheep Skin dealer near the Kelowna Hyundai store. I honk the guy that did the seat for me is still there but it was about 10 years ago now. Can't remember his name exactly, but know where he is. The girl that did the Sargent seat on my current bike was Chantel's Upholstery. Here is a link to her website.

http://www.chantelsupholstery.ca

I'm not sure how much it would be to repair the seat foam, but I'm fairly sure that she could do the repairs for you. I am very happy with the job she did on my Sargent seat so I would gladly recommend Chantel to do the work. Since Terry is a friend of mine, I would guess I got a slightly better price than the average guy off the street but since the Sargent was also a two piece seat, I would think would involve a bit more material and a bit more labor. If you're interested in getting your seat done, get in contact with Chantel and make some arrangements. I'd be happy to lend you the stock seat off my wife's bike since it has a Corbin and a stock seat. The bike is currently un-insured so it wouldn't be a big deal.

i think the place that did my 97 VFR's bike seat way back when was Experts Auto Upholstery and I think Tony was the guys name. Memory not as good as it once was now that I'm in my 40's. LOL

11. FourOhs

FourOhs New Member

It happens, doesn't it? 30 was the trigger for the failing waistline and increased aches and pains. 40 was the trigger for failing eyes and memory. I wonder what joys 50 will bring... better get my riding in before I'm getting around in a motorized wheelchair! :dread: :biggrin-new:

12. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Hell I am 70 and just getting started!