Another VF500F Interceptor Oil Leak...

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by dustin033, Sep 3, 2014.

1. dustin033

dustin033 New Member

I know there are already multiple threads about VF500F clutch pushrod oil seal leaks, but I haven't found any with very many details. I've read about the following options:
    • O-ring behind the seal
    • Shrink tubing over the rod
    • Engine tear down
    • Removing the lip in front of the seal

I didn't have much luck with the o-ring method. The shrink tubing method has lasted me a while, but I'd like to see some more improvement. I don't see tearing down the engine as an option, so that leaves me with trying to remove the seal. I've read that you can grind the lip off and get a new seal in for a decent (although probably temporary) solution. I just want to be sure of what I'm getting myself into before I start.

I'm assuming that I need to grind the "lip" off everywhere but the far right side in the picture, and after removing the old seal, wedge the new one in. Is this the correct approach? How much do I need to remove?

oil_seal.jpg

2. NormK

NormK New Member

Not sure if this would work but this is what I would try, leave the existing seal in place clean the area thoroughly get a seal from a bearing place to fit the shaft with a small od, fit the shaft in with the seal fitted and build up around the outside of the seal with JB Weld. This all depends on having enough room to fit the extra seal, nothing much to loose and it might just work

3. dustin033

dustin033 New Member

Interesting idea, but I think I'd rather get the old seal out.

4. dustin033

dustin033 New Member

I began grinding the lip away last weekend. I've done everything but the area just to the left of the chain. Does that need to go too? I'm not quite sure how I could wedge the seal in otherwise.

5. 74ullc

74ullc New Member

I currently have no help for you but am curious about this. Does the seal press out the back (inside the motor) or something? It must be more complicated than it looks or this would be a simple pop the old one out and drive a new one in kinda deal.

Do I get to look forward to this on my 700?

6. dustin033

dustin033 New Member

The proper way to replace the seal is when the engine case is split. You can see in the picture where the case isn't quite aligned near the horizontal center line of the seal. I would have to assume the 700 has the same setup, but I can't confirm that.

7. 74ullc

74ullc New Member

Oh no....why did they do that? I've only had to replace that seal on a few bikes but on the ones I did they just pop out.

I liked Norms idea but turn the new seal backwards so the two seals are face to face with JB weld between them. But not too much! You don't want it squeezing out inside and getting on the shaft or rubber lip. That would work. Assuming, like Norm said, there is room for the new seal to stick out like that.

That would put the seal doing the work backwards but I don't think its like there's going to be a huge amount of oil pressure on that seal is there?

8. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    PM'd you. However, I see from your pic that the right side of the 500's clutch pushrod's seal is tucked in behind the countershaft sprocket cover mount. My 750 didn't have that issue. On my 750 the seal was easy to get out. Not sure what to do about that on yours.