Valve Adjustment Help

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by robertomolina2013, Sep 13, 2014.

1. robertomolina2013

robertomolina2013 New Member

Hey all, I'll be doing a valve adjustment very soon on my '96 VFR750F, can anyone guide me in the right direction or have any insight and tips? All help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Best way is to open RH inspection cover and use a socket wrench to turn the crankshaft (with plugs removed).

It's fairly easy to check clearances; but the FSM, quality tools, and mechanical skillz are essential to avoid possible damage when changing valve clearances. Do each measurement twice at least, and make a chart where each valve has a circle with the clearance noted. Loose valves are less a problem than tight ones, especially exhaust valves. There is a tolerance range of +/- .001" easily allowable.

It's really just sorta time-wasting to check valves according to exact timing marks, as anyplace that the high cam points are pointing more-or-less away from the valves is OK for measuring. Be ready to replace valve cover gaskets if they've gone rigid or cracked.

After any adjustments are made to valve train, it's best to turn the crank over a few times by hand to check for any possible misfortunate errors, stopping as soon as any resistance might be felt or fretful noise.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  3. robertomolina2013

Are the valves shim under bucket?

4. robertomolina2013

I recently checked the valve clearances and only one exhaust valve seems to be out of spec. Coincides with the funky noise which sounds like a leak. Do the heads need to be removed to adjust the valves and would I need new shims?

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Shim under bucket on gens after second. Changing clearance meaNs removing at least one cam + new shim, not a head. There is NO margin for error on reinstalling and properly timing a cam. How far off ?? How many miles on your bike ?? (Should have been mentioned in original post !)

6. Innocent Fool

Innocent Fool New Member

Canada
    I found adjusting the valves wasn't as hard as I thought as long as you pay attention to detail and take it slow. Make a chart as suggested above and write down your initial and calculated measurements. If you can't get the clearances bang on go for a little on the loose side as opposed to tight.

The only issue I had was one of the shims I bought was not the size it was marked and I had to tear it apart again to replace.

My advice: - get a micrometer and calibrate it using feeler gauge to make sure it reads correctly
    - Don't trust the shims as marked. Measure them with the mic to make sure they are correct before you put them in