Here is a taste of what comes next, folks.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Voided76, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Voided76

Voided76 New Member

United States
    Map
  2. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Looks awesome----you gettin one V ?

3. Voided76

Voided76 New Member

United States
    Map
    Yep. the wiring looks hilariously simple, tap the lever, tap the sprocket cover and run a long bolt out of the dark recesses of the cover/speed sensor area...
    make sure it pushes @ .7-1 cm when all is said and done, adjust to however much pressure you want the lever to engage at, and you've got yourself a damn shifter. lol

and the RB2 will adjust kill times, at what RPM. so... above 3300-3500, for... prolly 70 ms should be good to go. I'm fairly certain if you move the minimum activation point higher up in the range, you can lower the kill times appropriately. but I wanna be able to putt-putt around town clutchless. :peep:

4. Voided76

Voided76 New Member

United States
    Map
    did you know, for reference, the human eye achieves a blink, in 300-400 MS, roughly?

60-70 ms... lmao. I can't wait.

5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Will one work on Harleys? Not to be confused with working on Harleys. Everyone knows that already.

6. Voided76

Voided76 New Member

United States
    Map
    Actually yes. you can wire the quickshift module to your ignition cutoff switch if you DIY....

pretty universal when you really dig into how it actually works.

7. Voided76

Voided76 New Member

United States
    Map
    that is, if you have a lil dial-in module that comes with the shifter. standalones do. 60-80 ms on the killswitch would absolutely facilitate the same kind of performance.

8. Voided76

Voided76 New Member

United States
    Map
    actually. the KS would shut the fuel pump down too wouldn't it. it'd work on a carbed bike. :)

9. Badbilly

United States
    What is this gadget actually for?

10. Voided76

Voided76 New Member

United States
    Map
    the speedshifter essentially either cuts fuel, or ignition, for a very short amount of time. specifically, when enough pressure is put on the shifter to engage the next gear up when the drivetrain is unloaded. this means, you don't have to touch the clutch, and you don't have to change your throttle position. it facilitates 65 or so millisecond upshifts, with the throttle held wide open. MotoGP trickle down tech, honestly.

11. Voided76

Voided76 New Member

United States
    Map
    BUT if you set it to 70-75ms cut, at above 4 grand, it becomes a super smooth around town shifter. there's a reason why the 2014 VFR has it as an optional extra. it becomes extremely easy, comfortable, and enjoyable, to speedshift around town at normal engine speeds.

I know this cause I rode my buddy's Triumph 675R and it was factory speedshift equipped. honestly, I couldn't feel a bump, or a notch, or a drivetrain shudder or anything that indicated it's prolonged use would cause transmission wear and tear, in fact, I believe the opposite is Probably the case. it's that smooth to operate.

12. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    For my track bike yes, VFR not so much, I'll shift her and save the 300 clams. Though it must be nice to to not ever hear a clunk.

13. Badbilly

United States
    Sell enough of those puppies and raise another crop of dudes that can't drive a stickshift..

Not a particularly great example of what may happen but a fine example of what is going on in some circle.

Two girls aboot 8-9 ask the librarian the time. The librarian looks at a bigass clock on the wall and tells the mini-chicas that it's some o'clock. My question is WTF? The answer is that the two cannot read analog time. Not to worry though they can't drive yet and by the time they can the government will have banned motorcycles. Problem solved...

14. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Waste of time and money unless you race or do track days, or are really, really lazy and don't want to move your left foot. Something the GSXR riders would be thrilled with.

However, as another fancy bit to add to the bike it's okay. Heaven knows I've added enough useless bits over the years. At least this one has a real purpose, albeit mostly pretty silly.

15. Voided76

Voided76 New Member

United States
    Map
    FJ12: What's the point in trying to tell me it's useless?

Yes I do race. Yes I do track days. and No, you still use your left foot. it's not a button controlled air shifter like the grudge bike crowd are using. It's using much less weight, mechanics, and achieving a beautifully similar result. And thats cool if you think it's silly. somewhere down the road, you may or may not line up to me at some red light, or at some dragstrip, and you'll figure it out. ;)

16. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I think the long term benefits of less strain on the entire drive train more than compensates for the $300, the quick shifting is a bonus. The fact that Honda has included it as an option on the new VFR, which is not considered a super high performance bike, means there must be more benefits that just quicker shifting.

17. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Ah, I think I see, it's the sensor to kill the engine when you shift. My mistake, I thought it was a quick shift air type shifter hook-up.

18. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    How many VFR's have you heard of that have transmission troubles? It's a pretty rare thing unless you relentlessly beat the transmission, so less strain on the transmission will benefit you how? And how does this equate to less strain on the transmission anyway?

It's kind of a cool thing, but $300 will buy me around 100 gallons of gas which translates to 4,000 miles of riding. I buy useless stuff for my bike all the time, but this one falls under the category of "Not Really Interested". For me anyway.

Here's a supremely useless item I paid $50 for, the wheel center plug:

[​IMG]

19. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Oh I see a very nice "useful" and expensive item in that photo. Mmmm, Ohlins.

20. Badbilly

United States
    Can the parts assembly from the new VFR be retrofitted to older VFRs? .. and how bout those old carbureted dinosaurs with no chips in them that have to be manually shifted? Are we to be thrown under a Harley for some transgression. Yeah, I know Harley does not make busses. I wouldn't ride one even if they did. They'd probably make me sit in the back.

Interesting that the technology comes from MOTO-GP when the damn things shift the wrong way.. Maybe the MOTO-GP types are mounted upside down.