VFR750 FV vibes

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by 750cc, Sep 24, 2014.

1. 750cc

750cc New Member

Hi Guys,

I am trying to chase down the vibes on my 97. There are high frequency, tingly vibes at all revs above 3K rpm. They can be felt through the tank, bar ends and pegs, with a bit more noticeable on the right than left. Vibes are there moving or stood still, clutch in or out. The bike has 34K miles. Bike pulls like a train and I did 1000 miles last week no problem. So far I have done the following:

New chain and sprockets
    Removed and bench synched carbs, refitted and checked with Carbtune and all pulling about the same vacuum
    New plugs
    New air filter
    Cut the last half inch off HT leads and plugged back in. Also replaced a couple with EBay items.
    Checked the bike for loose bits, exhaust touching body etc
    Removed silencer and ran bike in case loose baffles to blame
    Checked main stand has rubber bung where it contacts the exhaust

I am planning to do the following
    Test coils with a multimeter. What should they read?
    Test HT leads as above.
    Carbs - new diaphragms?
    Check valve clearances
    Timing. Is there anything to check?
    Renew fuel filter
    Change from 10W 40 semi synthetic car oil to same but a motorcycle oil, maybe Honda

Any suggestions on prioritising the above or comments on the way forward would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Dave

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  2. richierex

richierex New Member

United Kingdom
    cant be so bad if you did 1,000 miles. my ZZR1100 used to make my fingers tingle after less than 50 miles and then my hand started to go numb, dont think there is anything to worry about. oh, check you have the rubbers on the side of the tank.

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Gottta make sue both side rubber "buffers" are in place on sides of petrol tank and that tank is mounted proppaly as he above ^^suggests. :eagerness:

(nothing related to diaphrams or timing or coils.....if you can determine that all 4 cylinders are firing OK first).