Riding suit

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by RobVG, Sep 25, 2014.

1. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    I read a few other threads but they were old. Just wondering if I could get a recommendation on a riding suit? I can't afford a $1000 suit, under $200 would be great, maybe up to $300. I try not to ride in the rain (gets the bike dirty:)) but need something relatively waterproof. Abrasion resistance is not a priority. Warmth would be an asset. What ever it is, I have to look cool.

2. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
  3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    What size are you looking for, leather or Textile?
    I am sure $300 would get you a decent set of gears.

4. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    Every affordable piece of motorcycle gear I've ever purchased was a titanic piece of crap. You get what you pay for in this department, big time
    That being said, your only hope is used. Spend 300 new on a suit and it will suck, I promise you. Get lucky with a quality used suit that fits you and you might be good.

5. thegreatnobody

thegreatnobody New Member

Map
    ^^ What he said.

Piece it together is you have to. Quality riding gear is worth its weight in gold.

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Most of the inexpensive suits are all made in the same place, at least that's the feeling I get, and that's Pakistan. Cycle Gear is probably the best place for entry level (read: Inexpensive) suits. Their Bilt line of gear is decent but may not offer some of the features and quality the more prominent names in gear offer. However, their Sedici line of suits are a step up from the Bilt gear and also come with a lifetime guarantee. Right now CG has their Sedici line on sale (30% off) so it might be a good time to check them out.

Another place to look is www.topgearleathers.com, they have really inexpensive suits but here you really need to pay attention to what the suit has to offer. I bought a $200 two piece suit (Model 333BK), mostly to see what the quality was like and to compare to what others offer and I can tell you, the low end suits, other than being leather and offering abrasion protection, don't offer much in impact protection or much padding. If you do look at their web site look into the Perrini line, a much better offering with only a slight increase in price.

Be sure to check out www.SportbikeTrackGear.com and www.Motorcyclegear.com and look in their closeout section. Both places carry the 'AGV Sport' line which is probably just a step up from the Sedici and Perrini lines mentioned above and their customer service is really good. I'd go straight to their closeout section and then back track from there, sometimes you'll find great deals on Alpinestars and Dainese suits once in a while. Considering the Fall lineup is being released, you might find a nice suit going for a great price.

Also, if you're just looking at using it for street riding and not the track, get a two piece suit, as it allows you to remove the jack and be able to walk around and/or at least do normal things that the jacket won't get it the way of, like sitting at a table and eating.

Cheers

P.S. If you're interested, I have a video review I did comparing the Top Gear Leathers suit against a Dainese suit, very eye opening on the differences in what you get. Seeing what the differences are, you'll get an idea of why the Dainese suit cost so much more and where the "you get what you pay for" saying comes from. PM me and I can send you a link, I know there's a link on the forum, just don't have it book marked.

7. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

If you go down your suit is what will save your bones, skin, everything. What is that worth to you? $300?
    Look motorcycling isn't cheap and cheaping out on protective clothing is one of the dumbest things you could do. I'd park the bike and save some money or get out of the sport. Going down is painful, extremely, so premium leather or textile is worth its'weight in gold.

8. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Considering your location, how do you not ride in the rain? ... :whistle: ...

ACE

Crap, I've hit 200 posts ... turning into a post whore ... need a 12 step program now ...

9. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey, thanks for the replies! They sound like good advice. Will check out the sites tonight.

I take a 44-46 tall. w 36

I have a two piece set of Fieldsheer leathers but for some odd reason, the pants no longer fit.
    I'd like a match set of textiles, depending on price.

"Used". I never thought of that. Great idea.

10. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    Also check out your local craigslist. People put up gear quite often, and quite a lot of gear now a days have removable liners, so that removes a lot of the ick factor.

11. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    I seem to recall reading in Motorcyclist or CycleWorld a favorable review of the Tour Master Centurion suit. I dug through the stack of mags I have but couldn't find the article. I did find in the Sept 2014 issue of Motorcyclist a review of the Tour master Sonora jacket ($239) & Caliber pants ($179). The tester was wearing these when he crashed @ 50 mph. Link to article: CW EVALUATION: TOUR MASTER SONORA AIR JACKET & CALIBER PANTS

A little above your price range I know. If you can't find something used your options might be slim. Also check out revzilla.com, they have many video reviews.

12. nearfreezing

nearfreezing New Member

United States
    Map
    You want a riding suit that's waterproof and warm, but you don't care about crash resistance? Is that because you're planning on wearing real gear underneath or because you place a low value on your skin, muscles, and bones? This is absolutely the wrong place to cheap out or make a poor decision.

If you're interested in one suit for year-round riding, focus on the suit being waterproof and having good crash protection. The suit shouldn't be particularly warm, or you won't want to wear it in summer. For colder weather, you can layer-up underneath.

I recommend a used Aerostich Roadcrafter. You can generally find them for $400, lightly used on craigslist. As others have mentioned, cheap gear is not worth the money as it will fall apart or fail when you crash.

13. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
  14. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    I appreciate your concern. It's nice to know that a used and high quality safe suit can be had for a reasonable price.

After reading I should "leave the sport" because I might not be appropriately attired, I considered posting my OPINION on atgatt. It would be pointless on vfrworld.com but I can respect the popular viewpoint here. I certainly value the input from you guys but I'll make my own decisions on riding suit safety.

15. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Point well taken. Many here do promote atgatt. Thiis is a good position. But ultimately, it is the individual who must decide, based on acceptable risks, what gear he or she should wear. I agree with that concept except for the "option" on the wearing of proper head protection.

16. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    I would never be without a full-faced helmet Randy.

17. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Hopefully not a full face lid and boarder shorts flip flops and muscle shirt. JK of course.

18. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    LOL! Randy

19. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    If you have a CycleGear nearby, go try on their gear. If not, check their stuff out online. Their Bilt line of gear has some really good and affordable stuff.

Jose

20. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Another source for full leathers in one or two pieces is the for sale section of the WMRRA site. Some Aerostitch "suits" are two piece and zip together forming a suit or as an accessory there is a kind of overall thing that zips to the pants and is worn under the jacket.

One more source is for sale stuff on snowmobile forums. Just like bike dudes, there are snowmobiledudes who have to have the latest thing on the market and are willing to part with some older stuff in your price range.

Maybe even try the want ads in Soundrider. Make sure to figure oot which ads are private party and which are ads from dealers. The dealers will usually have "call" in the ad.

CL has a kind of new area for bike stuff that is "parts" . It's OK but far from perfect.

The shops in Seattle that have used leathers are gonna stick it to you..

Try the aftermarket shops too for info. The major player dealers unless ya know somebody there are not going to be much help. Check with Lisa at the Motoguzzi dealer for solid info.