Front Fork Length - Does anyone know

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by mikerob97, Sep 26, 2014.

1. mikerob97

mikerob97 New Member

United States
    Map
    hello - does anyone know the length of a fully extended front fork. the distance from the middle of the axle hole to the top of the tube?

I have looked through the shop manual and can not find.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

2. MrSleep

MrSleep New Member

United States
    Map
    The sixth gen is 30 3/8" from the top flat part around the nut to the center of the axle but I don't think the forks for the fifth gen are the same forks.

3. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    Hi Mike

Not an easy thing to measure on the bike, but I got around 605mm on mine. Could be off by +/-5mm as I was unable to get a straight line measure.

regards
    Terry

4. mikerob97

mikerob97 New Member

United States
    Map
    hello - thanks for the reply. Is this a fully extended length? Or was weight on the front wheel?

Mike

5. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    Yikes! Glad you asked for clarification. I just remeasured with the wheel off the deck, and get an accurate 767mm between the top of the tube and center of the axle. So please disregard my previous "measurement"!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  6. anikmankar

anikmankar New Member

India
    I think this would differ based on your spring (age / after market length etc)

7. mikerob97

mikerob97 New Member

United States
    Map
    Cadbury - Much better, Thanks.

Looks like the 6th Gen fork might be a bit longer at 772mm than the 5th Gen at 767mm. The reason for asking is that I am going to be swapping in VTR1000 forks. From measuring, the VTR forks are about 765mm. So they are very close to the VFR. Of course I will measure my VFR forks once I get them off the bike and confirm everything - but for now the measurements are close enough to proceed. Just the answer I was hoping for!

Thanks guys for your help.

MIke

8. anikmankar

anikmankar New Member

India
    I measured mine off the stand abt 700 mm from the top of the forknut to the axle center

9. mikerob97

mikerob97 New Member

United States
    Map
    ok, I have the bike up on my new pit bull front triple tree stand - and I get about 770mm fully extended.

10. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Hi - just wondering - is that with forks on the floor, no wheels or any gear?

11. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    The 767mm that I measured was with the wheel lifted off the ground, but wheel brakes etc installed. I did not include the fork cap in the measurement.

I guess (?) that at this point the forks would be "hanging" on the top-out spring a little but this would be resisted by stiction, so this is maybe not the most repeatable measurement.

12. mikerob97

mikerob97 New Member

United States
    Map
    I measured again and a more accurate reading is 772mm. This is from the top of the tube to the middle of the axle (does not include the spring adjusting screw at the top of fork). I have all the weight off the front suspension. The front wheel and calipers are still attached to the forks. (not sure if that affects the fork length, but when I remove the calipers and wheel tonight I'll take another measurement)

Note - my VTR forks are 777mm so 5mm longer. This swap should work just fine. I'll respring the VTR forks with some Racetech springs and use the VTR forks as is (i do not see a need to swap the VTR lowers to the VFR tubes). I'll set the VTR forks 5mm higher in the upper clamps to simulate the stock VFR fork position. Make sense? Am I missing anything?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  13. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    The only thing that I would check is the fork spacing side to side in the clamps; I think I've read somewhere that the wheels/discs etc are interchangeable, but the triple clamp spacing is different so you can't use the VTR mudguard, and the VFR mudguard uses different mounting points. If you've got all the parts then you'll be able to check that one easily. Apart from that I don't see any issue using the VTR forks, I would just check that at full compression the top of the guard is clear of the fairing bottom and horn.

I presume the other reason for going down this route is to get the 4-piston calipers on the VTR forks, have you considered using the VTR master cylinder? It is said the VFR piston is too small a diameter and gives too much leverage on the VTR brakes.

14. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Sounds like it will work out. - Consider raising the forks around 8 mm higher than stock to improve your steering geometry. I found stock pushes the front more than I was comfortable. Also I raised the rear some dimension I dont really remember, but 15mm comes to mind.... .

Dont forget pics when you start putting it together.... :smile-new:

15. mikerob97

mikerob97 New Member

United States
    Map
    Mello Dude - Progress to date:
    VFR rear caliper prepared, front 954 calipers rebuilt and ready, all existing calipers removed from VFR and hydraulic system removed. and yes, I'll pull some pictures together of progress to date

FYI - I have a Step 1 writeup w/pics in the Mechanices Garage section that I posted a few weeks back regarding the rear caliper prep.

Cadbury84 - yes, you guessed it. I am doing a brake delink and swap. And yes I am aware of the front master cylinder change required. Thanks for mentioning though. See my Step 1 writeup in the Mechanics Garage

16. mark641

mark641 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Think you guys get tied up in knots, conveniently there's a lot of inter-changability. SH / Firestorm sliders go on to VFR stanchions...just done it with 0.9 kg Race Tec linear springs with spacer tube cut to make spring spacer length as per stock. 5wt oil, 130mm air gap.

Yes as regards to VFR mud guard it don't fit! So measurements taken and I see my near future is lots of filing of alloy billet!