I'm riding a Holstein.

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by mofo, Sep 29, 2014.

1. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Yesterday morning on my way to work, after making eye contact, a guy decided to paint my black bike white by crossing the double yellows. He was in the HOV lane, I was crossing the double yellows myself from lane #1 to lane-split due to traffic slowing down.
    He bumped into me, I went air born. At the landing I leaned against the car, and had to swerve to the right between lanes 1 and 2 to avoid rear ending a pick up in front of me, which was coming to a complete stop due to traffic, but still hit with my mirror while trying to keep control of my bike. All while the freeway is more like a parking lot.
    My armor took the brunt of the impact on the elbows and shoulder. My rib cage is a little tender. My ugly boots prevented my foot and ankle from a serious damage, I have a little bit of pain and a little bit swollen, but I'm able to walk, no bruising and no broken bones.
    Punctured fairing, scrapes in the lower half and bent shifter and rear set is all the damage to my bike.

2. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    Damn that sucks!! Glad you were able to walk away relatively unhurt. Sounds like even the viffer made it though still rideable.. if a bit ugly.

3. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Mofo, I am grateful to hear that you survived your accident. After going through all that perhaps you should change your forum name to bad ass mofo!

4. f3racer

f3racer New Member

Glad your still ok man!

5. metallyguitarded

metallyguitarded New Member

Map
    Scary stuff! Glad to hear you're ok for the most part. Your bike too.

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Sorry to hear that Mofo, glad you're relatively unscathed. The bummer here is that you both tried crossing the double yellows so hard to place blame. Hopefully everything will work out for you.

7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Wow...glad you're ok...even when they look at ya they dont see you........bike is fixable. ...heal up BAMF

8. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Glad your not any worse for wear MOFO, too bad about you bike. Is this something you will use your insurance on? Any pictures you can share?
    John

9. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    lmao. Good one lint! Every time someone wins the pinball game between a bike and cars, dodging left and right and walks away is a good day.

Two days later I started finding two drops of oil on the floor. Will need to find out if it's engine oil or clutch fluid. I guess is safe to say that I own a Harley interceptor now.
    No insurance claim will be filed.
    Thanks all for the concerns and well wishes.
    Outboard John, will post a picture soon.

10. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Here you go john.
    image.jpg

11. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map
    Glad you are ok besides some bumps and bruises. You're title was a bit confusing...if it said "rider down" or "crash" something you would probably get a lot more responses.

Heal up fast!

12. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Feel better soon, mofo. Good to hear your generally OK.

13. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    no poe-poe report>? metal and plastic can always be repaired/replaced-serious injuries, personal pain, well thats another story. Glad you made it oot ok. :thumbsup:

14. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    If you did not say "OH FUCK", you must have at least thought it. Just goes to show that we have to be extra dilligent as like it appears here, each other may have misinterpreted what they saw. We on the bikes loose.

I am very greatfull that you survived this relatively OK. The bike can be repaired/replaced. But major kuddos to you for staying on the high road and not lashing out at the other driver. I hope he showed you the concern he should have at the scene.

15. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    BAMF...did the driver stop?

16. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    Lane-splitting may be legal in california, but I sincerely doubt you'll ever get anything from anyone else's insurance company once those words are uttered.

17. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I can't really argue too much with you on this, mostly because I really don't know or have experience that way down in California. I've lane splitted (lane splat?) down there but you are possibly quite correct insurance wise.

BUT. Let's say, just for argument sake, Mofo was going along lane splitting in the manner that they are expected to do down there, not flying past at a stupid speed, but gently rolling by traffic that is going quite slow. Then the car in the HOV lane, suddenly makes a lane change from the HOV to the #2 lane resulting in the crash. That driver is in the wrong. Lane splitting is a legal maneuver in California. Even if is were not, a driver of any vehicle "MUST" make sure that it is clear and safe to make a lane change before he/she does so. To make a lane change any other way carries a degree of negligence on that driver's part. I suspect the insurance adjusters would place, or at least try to place a percentage of liability on each driver. But even if they did, I suggest that it would not be a balanced liability, rather one that was considerably higher for the person making the unsafe lane change, than for the one lane splitting in a prudent manner as allowed by State law there.

Mofo,

You mentioned that eye contact was made. Sadly I have learned from experience that eye contact does not always mean you are safe. A few, several really, times in my bicycle commutuing days I have had people pulling out from side roads, or driveways and look right at me then pull in front of me. Had people look in their side view mirrors and make eye contact with me then promptly open the car door right in front of me on a busy road. Fortunate for me, nothing major has happened. Went ass over tea kettle once when I had to take to the curb and boulevard because a blue haired ol;d bitch pulled in front of me but all that happened was a slightly warped rim and a boo boo on my knee.

They are out there to get us guys. Ride accordingly and be safe!

18. signal

signal Definitely Not New Member

United States
    My advice. NEVER switch lanes with a car adjacent to you. if you do, then you better simultaneously gas it hard, in other words be going to a spot where there is no adjacent car. Its just too easy for both you and the other drive to "head check", and simultaneously switch lanes. Either slow down or speed up and then switch.

19. dayreamer

dayreamer New Member

Glad you're ok. Did you have video? I have a GoPro HD mounted on my bikes (and car cams on all of my cages)....keeps otherwise honest people honest...