Looking to buy 2004 VFR800 and need advice

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by faran, Sep 30, 2014.

1. faran

faran New Member

United States
    Guys, I am a new member, so take it easy on me, please :)

I looked at a VFR from 2004, please see picts attached.

Owner recently did fork seals and bushings, have a receipt (~$750). Front and rear tires aren't matching, but rear looks brand new(2011, Pirelli). All fluids definitely need to be replaced. Chain needs to be cleaned and lubricated(adjusted well though). Brakes look and feel good, maybe brake lines need to be replaced(I might swap pads too). There's a recall on Harness(I guess?) and it's been replaced.

Battery, tire and fluids, spark plugs could cost me ~$200, I guess? Correct me please, if I am wrong? Pads and lines maybe another $200? I can close the deal with all bags and all stock parts for $2100-$2200. Is this price and deal sounds fair to you guys?

That's listing below:

I am the second owner of this bike. The first owner put 7000 miles on it. He sold it to me in 2009 because he needed a bigger bike for him and his wife. I am now selling it because my wife and I just had a child recently. It now has 34,356 miles on it. I can say with complete honesty that this bike rides as well as the day I got it (which is great). Its a great bike to tour on. The $2500 price includes the hard bags, touring screen, Corbin seat, and throttle lock. The down side of this bike is that one of the bolts that hold the screen on broke off. I added a picture of it. Its been that way for awhile now. Its not really noticeable so it just has not bothered me enough to fix it.
    This bike has been so much fun for me its hard to sell. I have been to Nantucket, Orlando, and all they way across the US to San Francisco. Its been such a reliable bike. The tires are in good shape. The chain is almost brand new less then 200 miles. I do have two suggestions for the bike. 1.) a new battery. It still works but its in the end of its lifespan. 2.) oil change. Not due from miles but I last changed it a year ago so it needs to have new oil put in there.

Anxiously looking forward to your input and comments guys.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Go get it.......

3. faran

faran New Member

United States
    Really? Because of the price or something else? Not sure if you being sarcastic or serious :)

Thanks for your reply and chiming in, anything I be paying particular attention to while looking at it again?

4. MrSleep

MrSleep New Member

United States
    Map
    No sarcasm involved. $2200 sounds like an awsome deal. $750 for fork bushings -what a rip off!

5. faran

faran New Member

United States
    Yeah, he took it to a 'Stealership'. I can even close the deal for $2100, guess more better then?

What about miles and prices for above mentioned parts? How much they can be? While looking at it again, should I be paying any special attention to something?

Thanks again for helping out a vfr noob guys, appreciate your help and cooperation.

6. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey Faran

Used prices will vary greatly from one area of the country to another but overall I would say that seems like a good price. The luggage alone (new cost) is likely worth about $600 to $1000 including the mounting hardware and a new Corbin seat is likely around $300 US or more. I might be tempted to purchase a new front tire to match the rear if the rear is new, but that is just personal preference. Overall, I would say that the price sounds more than fair and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the bike for that price. Like Scubalong said, Go Get It.

7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Grab it yesterday buddy...the miles ain't nothing...hard bags..top box...sounds like a mature guy......newish tires..
    For that price holy cow...
    Hasn't been dropped? ?? Maintenance records? ?
    Really doesn't matter..looks clean ...non abs
    Dont let it slip away
    JMO....of course. ..good luck and let us know...:D

8. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Oh, and looks like a Corbin seat....maybe
    Oops just saw the corbin in the ad

9. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    The price is very good (almost too good) especially considering it includes aftermarket seat and hard bags so I'd be very wary of possible salvage title and/or major repair from a previous crash. If you post your location maybe a more knowledgeable member of the forum can help you inspect it. If everything checks out ok and the bike is in good cosmetic and mechanical shape you would be getting a steal IMO.

Rollin

10. faran

faran New Member

United States
    Thanks a million guys. I really appreciate your guidance. I am here to learn and grow, so not gonna pretend that I know everything. Please forgive my dumb questions too :blue:

I am in Northern Virginia area, close to DC. I looked at the title, bike has a clean/clear/duplicate title of Virginia and no Liens on it. Odometer says Actual and bike has never been crashed, according to owner one time it's dropped while standing. Owner seems like a good guy and not some squid or a crazy person.

Bike does have a corbin seat, he'll prolly get me stock seat too. He did mention that these luggage bags were like $1,000. Maintenance records, fluids were changed nearly 3 years ago, oil was changed last year. Similarly air filter was changed 3 years ago. According to him chain and sprocket are new, look in good condition too.

All electronics work, bike did start at first attempt from cold start and does have a valid Virginia inspection too, good for one year. Can't think of anything else?

How much those parts I mentioned above would cost, if I plan to replace them?

Thanks again everyone for helping out a vfr noob.

11. MrSleep

MrSleep New Member

United States
    Map
    Things to look for are Electrical - charging system, melted connectors. Stator plug on right side under fairing tends to melt so does the fuse holders near the battery, r/r tend to go bad. Also the cam chain tensioners tend to go bad at around this age. Neither of which is a huge problem to fix but electrical should be looked over so it doesn't leave you stranded. Still sounds like a good deal. May have been dropped on the right side. Clutch cover, side bag looks damaged. Have you ridden a bike before or is this your first bike? I only ask because the VFR is a heavy bike.

12. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Dips on the bike.....lol
    Shut up and take my money...:rolleyes:
    That is a steal bro go get it before it is too late.
    :welcome: to the madness :wave:
    Glad we can help :thumb:

13. faran

faran New Member

United States
    Are you lending me money then? ;) lol

Of course, I have every right to shut up, since I am a new kid in the block. I truly appreciate y'all. :)

Can I please get an estimate about the parts I mentioned above?

14. faran

faran New Member

United States
    How can I check connectors? I looked battery terminals were clean/not corroded or bad. Will take Multimeter with me and check voltage, while firing her up and at 4000-6000 rpm. It should be above 13V, correct?

I have ridden bikes(Ninja 500, SV650) and have few thousand miles under my belt. By no means, I am an expert, learning everyday.

15. faran

faran New Member

United States
    These are the parts I was asking/referring to:

Owner recently did fork seals and bushings, have a receipt (~$750). Front and rear tires aren't matching, but rear looks brand new(2011, Pirelli). All fluids definitely need to be replaced. Chain needs to be cleaned and lubricated(adjusted well though). Brakes look and feel good, maybe brake lines need to be replaced(I might swap pads too). There's a recall on Harness(I guess?) and it's been replaced.

Battery, tire and fluids, spark plugs could cost me ~$200, I guess? Correct me please, if I am wrong? Pads and lines maybe another $200?

16. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    I doubt that new brake lines would be needed so your major costs will be the front tire (est $100-120), replacement battery (est $50-70), oil/filter and hydraulic fluid ($40) , Spark Plugs (est. $40-60) and possible new brake pads (est $90 for 3 sets -- 2 sets for the front, 1 set for rear) Spark plugs may still be ok but you are definitely at the mileage that replacement should be considered. Brake pads may or may not need to be replaced depending on when it was done last

These prices do NOT include all the labor which would be pricey at the dealership (est $200-300).

If you lived in Atlanta I would have been happy to help you with most of the work in exchange for a 12 pack of Sweetwater IPA and I'm sure there are plenty of other local members who would help if you just ask. None of the work is really difficult to do yourself except for maybe the tire change unless you own a tire changer. If the bike has a center-stand you should be able to take the front tire off yourself and take to a dealership off the bike which would save you a few bucks.

Rollin

17. faran

faran New Member

United States
    Rollin, I can always ride to Atlanta, joking :)

Are there any members from DMV area or close to NoVA?

Can you guys please refer me to a user/service manual or if there are stickies for Fluids/Spark Plug/Air Filter/Brake pads? I am a DIY kinda guy and have no problem in doing all these things on my own. I guess, am looking at $300-$400 in parts, but that will make the bike go for a LONG time. BTW, according to seller he did valve adjustments at 22,000 miles and tech working on it said nothing needs to be adjusted.

18. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Wouldn't think you'd need to replace the brake or clutch lines on the bike unless you specifically wanted to change to braided lines or something. I had my local dealer flush and bleed the brakes and clutch on my 2000 VFR after I purchased the bike and it was $165. I purchased all brake pads for my bike last year from dealer and they were $45 per set (x 3). Prices on most things in the US are generally less than here in Canada so it is likely some stuff would be less. All the fluids can be done on your own quite easily though I would personally be tempted to get the dealer to bleed and flush the brakes as the linked brakes are more complicated than most.

19. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    If you want help from another forum member I would advise starting a brand new thread with a more descriptive subject such as "New Member in VA needs help" and you'll get much more response than having your request get buried in the middle of this thread.

I think the link to the service manual download is broken on this site but you can get it from the other VFR forum board (link below) As I indicated previously you should be able to tackle the fluids and brake job on your own but the tire change and plug replacement can be frustrating if you don't have the right tools/equipment or haven't done it before.

Service Manual Download Link Here >> http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/files/category/2-owners-manuals-and-other/

20. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    The valve adjustment alone is around a $800 job alone.so thats no worries