If you didn't ride in the Seattle area today, I hope you had a good excuse.

Discussion in 'USA - Pacific Northwest' started by RobVG, Oct 5, 2014.

1. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    What a gorgeous day! 68 degrees in October- thank you global warming. The leaves are turning but the roads are still dry. Supposed to be this way until Thursday.

Went for a 56 mile ride on back roads today. My ass is a little sore. Started at work in Lake Stevens and road to Snohomish for some Zero e gas. Then it was out the old Snohomish/Monroe road to the Sky river bridge. I needed to take a left to get on the Ben Howard Road but there was a half mile of cars coming the other way. The intersection was in shadow so I stopped short in the sunlight so the first guy to come up on me could see me. Up the BH to Sultan, Down Hwy 2 to the Red Apple and up the hill to Reiner Road. Took it to Pipeline Road and then onto Woods Creek. Dubuque to Creswell and Ok Mill back to Lake Stevens along the Pilchuck River on Russell Rd.

Would love to hear about your ride in the PNW.

2. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Rode Oregon 218 yesterday. No leaves to worry about out there.

3. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Sounds like a great day in Seattle. I started my day with a trip to the evil super store(San Diego area)I hate admitting going there, and picked a gallon of Rotilla t6 and a filter, after bringing that stuff home jumped on the bike and headed off to a new brew pub that recently opened , "Urge Brew Pub"(great reviews on Yelp) had a few different IPA tasters and ordered the big boy breakfast burrito, no way that I could eat that whole thing so offered half to the nice young woman who had taken up the seat next to me, turns out she works at Stone Brewery, not far away, gave me her card and invited me for a beer on her in exchange for the half burrito, good swap I think! Came home and did my oil change, will take Tiffany up on that beer later this week. Oh ya, got to around 98 degrees today, visibility? ........so what's the curvature of the earth? I'm thinking it was a pretty nice day any where on the west coast.
    Anyone else have a great day?
    Sorry for the hijack.
    John

4. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    No need to be sorry, sounds like a really good time. I used to love stopping at some small town greasy spoon somewhere along the way. Now I ride solo so not so much anymore.

5. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Some times I think when you are solo you are more likely to start up a conversation with strangers, other wise you may be inclined just to talk with your riding buds, at least that has been my experience.
    John

6. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

56 mile ride? I don't think I'd even fire up a bike for that but I understand Seattle is limited. You should have taken the Ferry over to Port Orchard to ride the peninsula!

7. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Yeah, I know 56 miles isn't much but none of it was on the highway- all remote back roads. Had to go through a few towns too. Took almost 2 hours.
    Besides, I'm "old". That's my excuse.

8. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

When I lived there I took the ferry over as many times as possible. The northern part of the peninsula is motorcycle heaven.

9. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Gee, my tires aren't even warmed up with 56 miles. We are lucky -even if it rains- to ride year-round here in SoCal.

10. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Hehe... you guys are big meanies.... 56 miles is a long way. I remember the first time I rode my bike that far. I could barely pedal when I got off the damn thing.

Oh wait, he meant a motorbike?

11. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Okay fine. No more posting until I go over the North Cascade Highway to Chelan and back either Bluet Pass or Stevens. Would that satisfy you shitheads. ;)

12. Bernieswanson

Bernieswanson New Member

United States
    Map
    Ok, how about my 300+ mile jaunt to Artists Point , the end of the road to Mount Baker. Did all those back roads on the way home. Highway 9 on the way up. [​IMG]

13. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    I guess this qualifies for a good excuse:

SDC10348.jpg

Tomorrow's supposed to be bright sunny, and 37 degrees. Fingers crossed for dry roads. :eagerness:

14. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Don't tell them aboot the great rides. They'll want to move here, buy Harleys and talk shit.. Stay off the old Blewitt pass road,, it sucks..

15. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    You spelled it wrong BB, it's "Blewett ".

Tumwater Canyon. Don't even bother, always raining, rockslides and lousy scenery. And don't bother to stop by the candy store.

16. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Yep, I blewett.

Rockslides are great for improving hand/eye/brakes coordination. I wish they'd show up on a GPS or when texted by the dude riding lead the service was faster especially when the lead dude is under a rock the size of a VW bug.

Best for the visitors to the Sound areas of Washington to do some homework on the ferry system. Schedules change, boats go out of service, loading procedures favor walk ons, bicycles and motorcycles over cars and trucks and rates are based on a system devised by two ex IRS dudes who were on acid

17. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Its actually raining here in SoCal today so dont feel that bad letting my bike sit since September. ..
    Rob, heavy equipment maintenance, remember in 06 living in UT and operating a Cat325 ...greasing up the machine in 6 degree weather. Dont miss that shit at all
    Ride safe

18. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    10:00 am. It's warmed up to 21 degrees. Beautiful day. Probably a very short ride.

19. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    The shop's got heated floors. I keep it at 60. I also keep the bike there- it likes it. :)

20. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    That was interesting. Drove to the shop and the roads were bare and dry until I got into town. There were a few patches of snow and ice here and there. "Oh what the hell" I thought, drove all this way, might as well see what it's like. The Interceptor agreed, and roared to life snorting steam from the Yoshimura's like cannon fire on a frozen battlefield. (Enough of that...)

Road through town, no problems. Went around the lake and there were sheets of ice running down driveways and across the road, no biggie but when I entered a roundabout (traffic circle) I slipped a bit. That was enough, turned around and road back to the shop. 6 miles total.

Another day or two and things will probably dry out but next weekend it looks like rain. Tut tut.

SDC10353.jpg