Shifted like a quickshift at full throttle

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Lint, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    So on my ride yesterday, at WOT, I put pressure on the shifter just before rev-limiter and it just clicked right into gear, no clutch, this was 2nd into 3rd I believe. I only did it once because I don't know what damage I may cause the engine, but wow what a boost in speed not having to pull the clutch and then let it out again! I was almost startled at what a difference it made! I may have to put a quickshift on my list o doodads for my bike!

Hopefully tranny is ok, my bike shifts up and down so easy it's almost an automatic! A little pressure and a slight squeeze of the clutch and it shifts, up or down. I have even had it downshift on my as I was decelerating just by putting a small amount of pressure on the lever. Sometimes, I can give it a small quick rev and I can downshift without the clutch, totally smoothly. Upshifting without a clutch is beyond simple, but I try not to do up or down without the clutch because I don't want to hurt it.

2. f3racer

f3racer New Member

Will not hurt the clutch. Just like a quick shifter. Blipping the throttle releases load on the trans allowing you to upshift.

3. PawnBoy

PawnBoy New Member

Canada
    Map
    This is a pretty common method of shifting, I've never done it by bouncing off the rev limiter but I frequently shift sans clutch by lifting off the throttle momentarily. It's also an easy way to check for the elusive 7th gear. You'll find people who claim it does damage, but on a simple dog clutch transmission as long as you don't put too much force on the shifting forks and your shifts are quick and complete you shouldn't be able to do much harm.

4. flymyassoff

flymyassoff New Member

I've been shifting all my bikes clutch less for years without issue. That includes 1983 GPz 750, 1986 Ninja 900, 2000 ZX12R, 2002 SV650, 2001 CBR1100XX and my recently acquired 2009 VFR800. I was riding the SV650 on the track, without the clutch while racing. All you have to know is when to blip the throttle, on the up or downshift. All I can say is that it is a lot more fun to ride a motorbike this way. Sounds especially cool on the downshifts.

Fly :)

"Speed Is Life!"

5. adeyren

adeyren New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Totally agree with flymyassoff. I nearly always upshift without the clutch, easy to do just takes a bit of practice. Downshifting needs lots more, usually coasting at low revs and it snicks in. Not too much pressure on lever though.

6. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Racing I used to only use the clutch from first to second and down shifts. On the street, I always use the clutch, its a light touch as the shift lever is loaded by my boot pressure. Never used gp shift pattern either on my race bikes.

On a down shift you could brake, pull the clutch in and click a bunch of down shifts and let the clutch oot in the proper rpm/proper gear/speed. Two stroke riders used this method mostly. They gave you a clutch for a reason you know. :mech:

7. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Downshifting without the clutch is more fun, requires rev matching. I'll do it on occasion if coming up on a corner too quick.

8. flymyassoff

flymyassoff New Member

Reason being, one cannot rev match ;)

Seriously, rev matching is very easy to do with a little bit of practise...

Fly

"Speed Is Life!"

9. mark641

mark641 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Clutch less downshifts? Yikes!
    I always sync' blipping the throttle, working the clutch and timing the shifts to get good engine braking without that horrible 'hitting a brick wall with revs screaming and rear wheel locking up' .
    I sometimes engage the clutch slowly into say 2nd so it acts like a slipper clutch. Something that racing taught me as my humble Hornet didn't have a slipper.

10. webhamster

webhamster New Member

Only time I use clutch on way up is to slip into second when at low revs and do same as mark641 on down shift with a blip of throttle and clutch when changing gear to get smooth engine braking. Done it with all 3 VFR's I have owned and didn't hurt them a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I've accidentally slipped it into a lower gear at lower RPMs just by having pressure on the shifter, but I use the blip ah JD clutch. Even the Ducati and BMW raise the revs before shipping it into the lower gear with their auto blip shifters.