Chasing Corvettes Tail of the Dragon October 9 2014

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by hotshoe1200, Oct 15, 2014.

1. hotshoe1200

hotshoe1200 New Member

United States
  2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    This is great hotshoe! I love it! Is that your man outfront? Thanks for sharing!

I hope you don't mind, but I embedded them for you.

Numero uno...

[video=youtube;8HIBHaphOSI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HIBHaphOSI&list=PL8jeSxZ2UMWe9GY3V0HdsIFdjoUR-rKxP[/video]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  3. derstuka

Map
    and numero dos

[video=youtube;uHBF426En94]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHBF426En94&list=PL8jeSxZ2UMWe9GY3V0HdsIFdjoUR-rKxP[/video]

4. hotshoe1200

hotshoe1200 New Member

United States
    Yep, that's my better half on his Goldwing. I will have to learn this embedding of which you speak. I will pick it up the more I participate.

5. derstuka

Map
    Pretty simple, click on the little video/film button.

[​IMG]

Then cut N paste the video URL into the box.
    [​IMG]

FYI - It only allows you to embedded one video per post right now.

6. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice videos. Thanks for posting them.

7. Limited

Limited New Member

Errrrr, I don't tend to post here or anywhere else but........................... After having seen your videos I have to say something.

For those of you who have not had the real pleasure of riding the Dragon I hope you one day find the time to experience one of the best technical roads out there.
    However DO NOT ride this road as seen in this video. It is almost surprising and I am surely glad that it did not end in grief.

The center line on THIS particular road is not a suggestion to "keep right". It is the extreme edge of your lane. The video shows the rider and her leader repeatedly crossing the line to 'straighten' the curve. The chance that a driver/rider coming the other way will do the same is as great as the likelihood that other rider/drivers are as careless as these two. Like those odds?
    Think you will see the other line-crosser in time to get back into your lane? Watch "You Go Where You Look" on youtube.

I have seen three wrecks on the Dragon in 11 passes up and down.
    The nearest Paramedics are 45 minutes away.
    The trike rider I saw was having earth removed from his mouth by passers-by after running staight through a curve into the mountainside and proceeding through his windshield.

It is more work but far more enjoyable to stay in the middle of your lane for the entire eleven miles of the Dragon. Can't manage it? Pull over or consider an easier route.
    Remember hitting another vehicle not only ruins your day (or worse) but brings trouble to someone else who is minding their own business.

8. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Constantly hearing about "the dragon" and how it's a destination road for the entire eastern seaboard makes me really depressed on the thought of moving back east. I mean are there really no other "twisty" roads to be found? Maybe I've just been lucky to ride the tons of amazing roads out west here, but none have a nickname attached.

I'd like to think "The Dragon" (and this is probably the case) is simply the Nickelback of twisty motorcycle roads thanks to overblown hype and the east coast has plenty more to offer.

Maybe we should start up some dumb nicknames for some west coast roads. CA 190 east of springville on the run up to the top of the sierra nevada could be called "Tentacle of the Leviathan" or something.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  9. Crazy Commie

Crazy Commie New Member

It's treated with the same reverence as like the Snake and Mulholland. Like the Mecca of those who ride or drive, sure there's other roads but there's just something to THESE particular roads everyone enjoys.

Problem is there's a LOT of cops there who don't exactly give their other officers a good image or reputation. Never got in trouble myself when I was on the East Coast years ago, but I've known (and still talk to those folks) people who ride/drive there and got stories about them.

10. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    after reading a bit more definitely sounds like it's the east coast's version of Mulholland. Overly marketed, and blown way out of proportion. But seems there's even better roads in the area, Cherohala skyway for one.

11. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Lolo Pass.

12. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Well said. I watched maybe 3-4 minutes of video #1 and almost expected for both riders to imbed themselves in the front end of an oncoming vehicle. What this ride was all about was tailgaiting several Corvettes. who weren't particularly on the gas.

A prime example of riders that need to ride a hell of a lot smarter before going splat.

13. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Never rode Mulholland, did ride the Dragon. You're right it's over blown and a big tourist attraction. That's why it kind of sucks. I happen to run it on a Tuesday morning around 10am. There was no traffic hardly which made it pretty safe and fun. Have also been on part of it on a weekend and it's a mad house. It's one of those roads you DON"T want to hug the center line! Because half the others rider/drivers coming the other way use it.

I've been all over the east coast riding and there are as good or better roads all over the place. Check the northern GA mountains for one. I am a little bias because I like a twisty road with a little more open curves that I can see more of and take at faster speeds. Corners on the Dragon are more like 10-45mph technical type for the most part.

198 > 180 out of Visalia Ca in to the Sierra's to Kings Canyon is a fun road the way I like them.

14. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    He was hugging the centerline and hotshoe1200 coming in tight to the apex and then coming out wide. Kinda the opposite of a sport line. All set up and execution can be done within your own lane.

The are loads of proper cornering videos and webpages on the net. I've learned from them myself.

Hopefully she'll take the criticism to heart and not feel bad about it.

15. hotshoe1200

hotshoe1200 New Member

United States
    It does sorta suck the fun out of the video.

16. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    I wish I had video of my cornering. I could see what I'm doing wrong.

Don't let it get you down.

17. hotshoe1200

hotshoe1200 New Member

United States
    Did anyone notice what a nice day it was? I didn't till I watched the video. And I appreciate the feedback. I am unsinkable that way, just like Molly Brown.

18. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Don't take it personally. It's because riders care about other riders and don't want to see them end up like what we call squids. Not many are born natural riders. We all have varying skill levels and continue to learn as we go. Take the advice that seems right. Also remember it's only the internet and the real concern that can be heard in a conversation doesn't exist in an e-mail. Most likely if you were sitting in a room with these guys talking about it, you'd not feel as bad about but you would just take it for what was meant and that is constructive criticism.

19. jerritt

jerritt New Member

Canada
    Map
    I couldn't watch the whole thing I'm sure it was good what I saw I liked but sometimes on the left hand curve you couldn't see 50 feet ahead of you and you crossed the yellow line onto the wrong side of the road if your doing 30 mph and the person going the opposite direction is doing 30 mph you wouldn't have enough time to react and you would be another statistic, for your sake and the sake of others please stay on the right side of the yellow line far enough that when you lean you're still in your own lane there has been motorcyclist who've lost their head and their bike never crossed the line like you did

20. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Oh yes please take this time to learn and listen to the constructive criticism. At the bottom of the Dragon is Deals Gap. May be you were there. They have a tree with all kinds of bike parts from crashes on the Dragon. Some of those people that crashed were in their lane, even in the center and still got hit head on. Go to youtube and search for The Dragon and crashes. Just unbelievable some of those are.