Gen 5 vs Gen 6 for fast riding / track days

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by viffviff, Oct 16, 2014.

1. viffviff

viffviff New Member

Sweden
    Map
    Took my Gen 5 for a run (in a very novice group) around a local track. It was great fun, but I felt like I was having to work really hard in the turns, and the bike was too. I was chatting with a mate today who is pretty handy on his GSXR and a good track day rider. He mentioned that he was in the intermediate group on track recently and was passed by a Gen 6 VFR - he tried to catch it but couldn't keep up! So, if a Gen 6 can go that well around a track, can a Gen 5 be as good? Or were changes made to the Gen 6 that would not be cost effective to replicate in a Gen 5? Thx!

2. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    Whoever was on the gen 6 was probably an excellent rider. There are slight differences in suspension, but nothing major. If you feel as though you are having trouble in the turns, I would suggest suspension mods, maybe raising the forks in the triple tree, and a more V shaped tire.

My personal opinion, the engine alone makes the 5th gen better for track days. Gen a Jaime Daugherty suspension and you're set.

3. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    Spend some time and money setting up the suspension. The stock setup is horribly inadequate for anything more than spirited street riding. Get a shock sprung for your weight, and also has adjustments. Get the forks valved and sprung for your weight. Lastly, shim up the rear suspension to quicken turn in. She'll feel like a whole new bike.

4. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    I wouldn't adjust the forks in the tree as you'll give up ground clearance. I recently had this issue on a track day. To accomplish the same thing, just put 2 washers in between the top of the shock mount and the frame. You'll get the same geometry change as well as gain more ground clearance.

However, I do agree on a Jamie Daugherty shock if he'll ship internationally. Just that one change transformed the bike. I'm gonna try to get him to do my forks over the winter.

5. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    Oops! Didn't pay attention to the fact he was in the UK. I am sure there is someone over there that can do similar work. Maybe not know the VFR as well as Jamie though.

6. viffviff

viffviff New Member

Sweden
    Map
    Had a look on Jamie's website. Will just the rear (929) shock alone be ok, or would I need to do both the shocks and forks to make a noticable difference?

7. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    As of now, I only have the shock and it has transformed the bike. But I am also a bigger guy, 6'4" 245 lbs, so pretty much any OEM suspension is very inadequate. I Plan to do the forks this winter.

8. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Admittedly I havent taken my 5th gen to the track, but stock the front of bike tends to push in the corners, and dropping the front forks about 8 mm and raising the rear helped considerably. Well plus the upgrades I did....

9. viffviff

viffviff New Member

Sweden
    Map
    impressive upgrades!

to increase the ground clearance and drop the front slightly, (with the standard shock) would winding on a couple clicks more pre-load help?

10. Bryan88

Bryan88 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

South Africa
    Map
    Don't know much about suspension, but the answer is yes and no. You will not increase the ride height without you on the bike, but you will decrease the sag when you get on it. Unfortunately the spring may then be wound too tight to play nicely regarding handling.

11. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    BWeiss said he was 245 lbs, that's probly part of it. I'm at 180, and have no clearance problems. Anyhoo if you still are gonna head to the track on a stock bike, I would still drop the front 8mm to help with the steering. Then set sag on the front/rear if you can.
    btw - suspension upgrades are a balance, the front and rear have to work together in order to make it work.

12. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    I found that a simple shim to raise the rear accomplished two important things. First it made the bike turn in better and second it helped with the inadequate cornering clearance. But there are so many variables including your skill level. With a simple 10mm shim in the back and good rubber a stock 5th gen will entertain you for quite some time. If you get more serious and in your opinion have reached the limits of your bike such that investments in suspension are called for, it's time to buy a 600 super sport. They are plentiful, cheap, and fast with tons of aftermarket support. You could spend a lifetime finding the limits of true sport bike and be safer and money ahead IMHO.

Here is a good shot of my 5th gen in a fast right hander and you can see the brake pedal sticking down. It isn't touching in this picture but in some of the other turns it would and eventually it had a nice taper on it. All due to limited ground clearance even after the shim was installed. Other parts dragged too but this picture shows how the bike just wasn't put together for really hard track time. My Ducati had no such issue!

[​IMG]

Here is the same corner and you can see how far I need to get off the bike so stuff doesn't drag.

[​IMG]

13. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    Could be something as simple as bad tires....many different possibilities.

14. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    What rpm are you running in the corners? Should be between 7-10k. The gyroscopic effect of the crank helps in how the bike handles. The higher the better (within reason) but the more sensitive you need to be with throttle. We use a 6mm shim on top of the rear shock on the XX's for faster handling. Changes rake. Both the VFR and XX are very similar.

15. viffviff

viffviff New Member

Sweden
    Map
    Great pics btw. I aspire to such lean angles!

Are the shims easy to come by (ie any particular shims recommended for the VFR?) and are there any down-sides to shimming the back end?

Many thanks

16. viffviff

viffviff New Member

Sweden
    Map
    Corner around 5k to 7k - so need to be running it higher I think. How does the gyro effect of the crank help handling btw? Just curious.

17. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map

Just like your front and rear wheel. Same thing. The faster they spin the more effect. Helps balance the bike. Ever play with a kids gyro and turn it on it's side and it stays straight/balanced on your finger. That crank and half the rod is centrifugal force with mass. As long as it's spinning in the direction of the wheels it adds to the over all gyroscopic effect that bikes have.

No I'm not scientifically knowledgeable of the exact reason/facts. I do know it works. Take a medium corner at a good clip healed over 35* or so at 5000rpm and feel the bike as far as crisp balance. The do the same at 8000rpm (or higher) and see if you notice a difference.

18. Carolina06HondaRider

Carolina06HondaRider New Member

I've figured out that if you want a fast bike in the corners, you should just get a CBR. The VFR is great for on-road fun and a few playful track days, but these bikes are too heavy and too underpowered to make a serious stand against other Super sport bikes.

19. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    I would simply say that any bike is fun at speed, but a VFR is not a track toy.

Take your VFR to the track to learn how to ride it well, not be competitive. If competition is your goal, then buy something else.

Jose

20. viffviff

viffviff New Member

Sweden
    Map
    Lots to consider now armed with some good gen from the forum! Thanks for all your responses