Where do y'all park?

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by RobVG, Oct 16, 2014.

1. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Went to a shopping mall today to look for a birthday present. I circled the the parking lot at a big box store and ended up with a spot about half way down the row next to a planting strip. As I walked up to the sliding glass door at the entrance with helmet in hand, I notice there is plenty of room on the sidewalk just past a picket of steel bollards.

So do you park like your driving a car or do you take advantage of the available space?

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    If there is adaquate room without impeding foottraffic, I park on the sidewalk at times. Never had an issue or complaint. Lots of peeps do around here. Just be considerate....well, depends on locale I guess. I do park in the parking lot sometimes if readily visible, and/or with other riders.

3. f3racer

f3racer New Member

Most military installations have motorcycle parking spots but if I go somewhere else I park away from cars. I have a paranoid vision of someone wipping into a spot and not seeing the bike.

4. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    If I do park between cars in a lot, I'll park closer to the rear of the parking spot. That way there's a greater chance someone hunting for a spot will see the bike, and won't just whip in when they don't see a car in the opening.

5. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I'll usually park almost anyplace the bike will fit. But I won't park on the sidewalk, just seems to piss people off around here, and I can usually find a spot close to the store anyway. I don't like parking out in the boonies.

6. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    I try to park on the sidewalk as often as possible as long as I won't be in the way at all. There was a perfect spot at work, but the building manager just threatened to tow my bike, so I'll be in a parking stall now. I always feel bad for taking up a whole spot with just my bike, but c'est la vie.

Most shopping areas have architecture that is very convenient for parking motorcycles and I'll park there when I can.

7. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

This. I always park so that my bike is clearly visible and that way I am less likely to have someone tear into the spot before they see it.

8. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    On streets where parking spaces are at an angle, sometimes there are Motorcycle Only triangles, usually triangles at beginning and end of rows. Couple of big stores, like Fryes & Lowes guys park on sidewalk parallel to bldg.

9. Crazy Commie

Crazy Commie New Member

Well I always park up close to a business where cameras are watching. Only takes 4 people to pick the hefty girls up and toss her into the back of a truck bed.

At home the bikes will always be chained up. My work allows you to park them right at the employee break area or on the opposite side of the entrance, some of the riders do that (although i don't since I'm only a mile away and drive)

10. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I never ride to a store or mall or big box store.... period. I do ride to a shop where I can keep a direct eye on it, 80% of the time, but I'm not hanging around that long. Same deal for work or other, never park it long enuff for someone to take an interest in my ride's that shouldnt. Trust no one.

11. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Just about anywhere except handicap spots or sidewalks. Painted islands are great.

12. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, the painted islands are my favorite spots too.

13. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Saw someone do this at the local mall a couple weeks ago. A 20 something young guy and his friends wheeled in to a parking spot at high speed and smashed into the rear of the Kawasaki ZX-10 parked near the front of the stall. Kid rammed the bike forward knocking it off the side stand and then the bike fell over and hit the truck next to it. My wife and I saw it happen and as the kid tried to leave we parked our Tahoe across the lane so that he wasn't able to drive off. He was some pissed when I wouldn't move our truck. When I got out and suggested that he should wait and exchange information with the person who owned the bike he started mouthing off. There were a few other people who also saw it happen and one of the other people took down the license number of the bike and went into the mall to report the incident at the security desk. They paged the owner of the bike over the mall P/A system and within a couple minutes the owner of the bike showed up. The mouthy little turd who hit the bike calmed down considerably when the owner walked up. Being about 6'-5" and over 200 pounds, the owner totally dwarfed the kid who hit his bike. Was almost kind of funny.

Hopefully the kid that rammed the ZX-10 will also have to cover the damages to the truck since the bike only fell over because it was forced off the side stand.

The local mall has dedicated motorcycle stalls (concrete vs asphalt so the side stands don't sink into the ground on hot days) and that is where I usually park. If no motorcycle stalls are available I try to find a spot near the end of the row that is easily visible to oncoming traffic (so the bike is more easily seen) and park closer to the rear of the stall. I also learned my lesson about hot ashpalt and the VFR's likelihood to adopt horizontal status and always carry a side stand puck that the local dealer offered after a service visit.

14. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow I guess Im lucky here in Texas... We usually dont give a second thought of where we park our bikes.... Just the other day my wife allowed me to park it in the garage lol....

No all kidding aside we here in the Greater Houston area doesnt matter too much on where the bike is parked. As long as your not a douche about where the bikes parked. ( handicapped designated parking, right in front of an entry, etc.)

I have parked in that big area/island that is striped off before the handicapped area(that area thats big enough to park a UPS truck) and on the side walk a little ways from the entrance and no one has given a glance or thought.

Sent from my iPad using Using my thumbs

15. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    You can usually find a shady spot somewhere other than any main lot. I park a lot of creative places.

16. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    good for you, man. I would have told the little shit he was lucky it was just a motorcycle and not some little kid climbing out of a car door.

17. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Had to remain somewhat calm as the kids were also with us. Also a good thing that the row of cars ended in a large flower bed that was too big to drive over otherwise he might have got away with it.

18. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

I gotta say, I'm shocked something like that would happen in Canada :p

Seriously though, good on you for blocking the little pukes in. I don't care if it's a bike or a car, if you hit someone in a parking lot (or elsewhere) man up and at the very least leave your information.

19. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    That was in Kelowna. The little puke was probably a tourist from elsewhere. Good on ya Billy. We need far more like you.

20. Crazy Commie

Crazy Commie New Member

Hearing about that I feel like going up there and beating the shit out of someone.

And I'm only 120 lbs, but I'd do it.

Good for you doing the right thing, especially with kids around.