Yes, another "I just bought a VFR" threads

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by curiosul, Oct 16, 2014.

1. curiosul

curiosul New Member

I have it for a few days (my second bike, first one was a ninja 500 for 6 years) and I already have a few questions:
    I don't have a lot of info about previous maintenance so I'll change all the fluids and sparkplugs (close to 30k miles). Air filter ... I don't know. Most of the K&N reviews say something like "no obvious difference but because of the small price difference, it's worth a try". Should I get the K&N, stay with stock replacement or inspect it and if it looks clean, just leave it?
    Brakes feel ok so no need for bleeding. For changing, would it be ok to open the bleeding screw(s), leave to drip until I see clean stuff while refilling the reservoir(s) often?
    Just out of curiosity, how high is the rev limiter?
    Is it worth using an injector cleaning solution (Techron to be specific)?

And two (maybe) problems:

Is it normal to be able to shift from first into second while not moving if I pull moderately hard? On my old one It would stop in N no matter how hard I would pull.
    When idling there's a faint humming in the engine/transmission that goes away as soon as I press the clutch and comes back again when I release it. Is it normal?

One last question: How can you lift it on the center stand by yourself? I always had to ask my wife to help me with the old one ...

Thanks in advance!

2. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    welcome to VFRWorld! now post a pic!

So what year/model did you get?

in general, I've not found any aftermarket air filters to be any better than a clean stock. having said that, I use a Uni-filter or K&N in my bikes of re-useability more than performance.

I bleed my brakes with each yearly tune up. But I have issues...

Not sure what the rev limiter is on my 07

I think as long as you use the bike, injector cleaners are not super important.

center stand, should be a finese move not a brute force move. I keep a hand on the front brakes - just in case, push down on the centerstand while rocking the bike back. the push on the center stand should be the work horse of the process.

hope that helps.

And in terms of the shifting to second, I think Kawi's have a positive neutral finder set up. My first bike was an 87 ex500. Rode the wheels of that thing. loved it! then wrecked it. Fixed it, rode the wheels off it again.

3. HarmG

HarmG New Member

Welcome!

I am also a relative new VFR user. Mine was in good condition when I bought is so I didn't do any regular maintenance (jet).

But I have some advice about putting the bike on the center stand. This is actual a part of the exam to get your motorcycle drivers licence in the Netherlands. You have to be able to put a bike on it's center stand by yourself, given you have at least average strength.
    The trick is to push and pull simultaneously. Find a part of the frame under the saddle roughly above the center stand. Push down the center stand with your feet and pull the frame up with your right hand, this halves the force your hand and feet have to do. If you know the trick it is very easy.
    The tricky part is to move one hand from the handle bars to the rear frame. Be careful to keep the bike perfectly upright.

Please let me know if it works.

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Putting a bike on the center stand varies with the model, depending on the position relative to the overall length. I don't know how much you weigh, but I weigh 217 and it's not easy with a VFR.
    Best to wear a boot or hard sole shoe, you are going to put a lot of pressure on your foot. I always start with the bike on the kickstand, in neutral, with left hand on left grip and right hand on rear grab bar. I press gently on center stand as I get bike into vertical, making sure both feet of center stand are firm and level, then put full weight on center stand and pull back with grab bar. I have read a fair amount of posts where bike have gone over while in driveway or just moving them. That is why I make sure stand is firm and level. VFR's a a bit top heavy.

5. curiosul

curiosul New Member

1015141019_resized.jpg
    It's a 2003 VFR800 Interceptor (no ABS)
    I'm the third owner.
    The bike was dropped a few times on both sides but always at low speed or sitting.

As far as lifting it on the center stand, I'll try Allyance's method but with someone (preferably big) around the bike to catch it before I drop it.
    Because as soon as I read the intake mods I did them (all three), now the noise covers that humming from the clutch ...

Thanks!

6. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    This is just about perfect, especially the part about gently pushing the center stand down until BOTH feet of center stand are in full contact with the ground. To get it up on the stand it is not really a lift but more of a rock from front to back. With stand ready and in contact to the ground, left hand on left grip, right hand on grab bar or frame just under the seat, lean your body slightly to the left (Towards the front of the bike.) and rock your body and the bike to the right. (Towards the rear of the bike) Use the weight of your body and the mass of the bike to roll it on the center stand. It is kind of like using crutches. The stand is the crutch. You rock the bike backwards and the Crutch/ Stand lifts the bike up. Think of it as rolling the bike backwards and letting the stand do the lifting!

It's harder to explain than it is to do it. Once you do it you'll see how easy it is.

7. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Curiusul, is the noise an electrical sound, like a zap-zap-zap, like a shorted circuit? Is it the clutch switch? I am behind a firewall so I cannot identify it, but there is a youtube video with the exact sound. Might be the one called this, not sure though: VFR800 Electrical Gremlin - YouTube.

I just tried to get the bike on the stand for the first time with someone monitoring and preventing disaster. I was holding the bar and the grab handle but unable to do it. Of course I was pulling the steering, which upset the geometry and tried to tip the bike. I was inadvertently countersteering. :eek:

Most advice on the net for other bikes mirrors HarmG's advice and I am going to go back and try that. I wish I would have thought of it at the time, but aren't the passenger pegs in an easily accessible position, and once folded out positioned to lift the weight?

8. curiosul

curiosul New Member

The "clutch noise", like I said, I can't hear it anymore but the way I remember it is like a mechanical rubbing (think dragging rusted metal on rusted metal but there's no metallic resonance just the rubbing part).

9. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    I would definitely suggest changing the brake fluid. I always thought the brakes were pretty good on the VFR, but I recently changed my brake fluid. The brakes are now lightyears better. It's really not that tough, there's plenty of write ups to follow. I will suggest this little gem tho, http://www.cyclegear.com/STOCKTON-TOOL-COMPANY-Brake-Bleeder-Tool All you have to do is get this over the bleeder, open in, and start pumping away. No need to worry about sucking back air, or opening and closing the bleeder.

Also, with unknown maint. I would suggest a cooling system change and doing the fork oil. Again, plenty of write ups and easy enough to do. If you're a bigger fella like me (6'4". 245 lbs) I'd suggest moving to a 10w fork oil. Or, if you're afraid of 10w making the forks too stiff, you can put 5w in one and 10w in the other.

10. dayreamer

dayreamer New Member

center stand...VFR800 is my first bike with a centerstand. Previous bikes were sports bikes so I had a rear stand to use.
    When I first tried it, it didn't work because I was trying to lift the 500 lbs bike.
    After I looked at it (should've done that first) I figured out how it leveraged, then tried it again and failed because I was wearing sneakers (I wasn't riding at the time, just in the garage).
    I put on my boots walked over, held the bike (left hand on handle, right hand on luggage bar below the seat, and pressed down with my foot on the center stand, while slightly pulling up with my right hand. No problem, felt like lifting 30 lbs....

11. curiosul

curiosul New Member

First ride today. Nice weather, light traffic but just ~15 miles for first day.
    I like the bike (stable, plenty of power, conformable (thanks to the corbin seat), wide power band) but I don't like it (gearing is too long, too heavy (to move around in tight spaces), not that willing to turn and be tossed around).
    Unless it grows on me, I'll turn towards something small and nimble (like a ninja 250 or 300) - I hope I won't get a lot hate for this ...

Getting back to the central kickstand, I tried it first with my wife and the second time by myself - as easy as described. One thing needs to be underlined though - it needs to be done with thick soles.

One weird thing I noticed though:

I put it up on the center kickstand, I lubed the chain, put it in first and let it run for a while to spread the oil. Just for fun, I got the rear wheel up to ~50 mph and them applied the hand brake. Light at first and then really hard. The rear wheel kept spinning. Aren't they suppose to be linked?

12. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Your rear wheel antics may be somewhat unsafe. There is always a minimal drag between the engine and the clutch even if it's disengaged. And it wouldn't be the first time a wife was asked to help get it up, ya know ?? :tongue-new:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  13. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    If you look at your front left brake caliper you'll notice it looks a little different. The caliper uses braking force while moving to actuate a secondary master cylinder that operates the linked brake system. Since you were on the center stand and therefore not moving, you were not activating the LBS.

That was the long version of, "nope, your brakes are working fine!"

14. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    YEP! +1 to BWeiss. Front wheel must be rolling!

15. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Curiousul, you may change the sprockets (smaller front or larger rear) in order to increase the revs at low speed. Also, tire selecton can maximize the turning sharpness. Of course the general character of the bike remains, and I am hearing your hints that you long for the maneuverability of a pure sport bike. When that thought goes through your head, just rev your VFR and listen to the V4. :)

I do not think anyone here is going to show you hate if the charater of the bike does not perfectly match up with your wants! There are a million bikes,and these are only for enjoyment, so you better get the one that makes you happy as a clam in this short life! I got the VFR this year as my first bike, and I tell you what, it absolutely perfectly matches up with my personality and the riding I am doing. That is an amazing feeling, a feeling you should have as well.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014