When to replace a helmet?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by BondJamesBond, Oct 17, 2014.

1. BondJamesBond

BondJamesBond New Member

I'm sure this has been discussed.... Assuming no accidents, after how long should you replace a helmet? Does the material age over time to the point that it doesn't protect anymore? Not ptotect to the point it would not meet safety standards any more?

2. Crazy Commie

Crazy Commie New Member

5 years is the limit. The protection material does get older with age and harden up.

May last longer, but 5 year is the rule everyone goes by.

3. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I replace mine when it starts to feel loose, not wobbling around loose, but looser than when I first started wearing it. And that depends on how much I've been riding. I've never paid much attention to how old, or how long I've had it.

4. dayreamer

dayreamer New Member

After accident, after dropping, after 5 years, or after seeing a new one that you can't live without...whichever comes first....
    I'm still waiting for the helmet with HUD, rear view camera, and RWR (radar warning receiver)...LOL

5. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    When it looks like you have foamy black dandruff whenever you take it off.

6. metallyguitarded

metallyguitarded New Member

Map
    This one has a rear view camera. Radar detector would be an amazing addition. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...wk-JLsQOfElnwWPgkjUHSUd9rg5pLHlsQQaAu9a8P8HAQ

black_matte_detail.jpg

7. dayreamer

dayreamer New Member

Yea...I know about that one...too pricey for a periscope mirror set-up that has the biker looking like a Klingon...
    "Need" a helmet that I can power up, the HUD comes alive, connects wirelessly to the bike aka Iron Man Suit, gives me bike dashboard, accommodates voice commands, and, almost as an afterthought, has a rearview camera (not mirrors, left and right are different). LOL

8. metallyguitarded

metallyguitarded New Member

Map
    Ahh...yeah, haven't seen one of those yet. Even the best voice commands can be a bit dicey. I say you hold out for one with thought control. Then again, I can only imagine what most of our HUDs would be displaying...

9. dayreamer

dayreamer New Member

Oh...and a Gweneth Paltrow voice instead of some random guy's voice like the Iron Man suit....never understood why a Machismo Guy like Tony Stark wouldn't have a sexy voice guiding his suit....

10. MrSleep

MrSleep New Member

United States
    Map
    Here is a helmet that is a bit closer to what you may be looking for skullysystems.com. http://skullysystems.com

11. dayreamer

dayreamer New Member

Now, I didn't know about this one...comes very close...now we just need to integrate it with the bike's computer, and we have the 2-wheeled version of the 5th Gen fighter...I'm starting to drool...hope they don't price it out of the realm of practicality....

12. MrSleep

MrSleep New Member

United States
    Map
    Just found out more info, the helmet is expected to be released next year for an expected retail price of $1500!

13. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    And
    If it starts to be Ill fitting...loose, wobbly,etc.

14. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm not sure how I feel about rear view helmets camera or mirrors ... I wonder how much of a distraction and or focus robbing it will be.

Opinions?

15. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

When you feel like it really. Most manufacturers say 5 years but that is just for repeat business & based on old tech glass fibre lids from the 80's. They material, resins & processes used in fibre based lids has come a long way since the 80's. Thermo Plastic lids are also much better than back then, both in materials science & safety, many exceed the tests used for the most expensive helmets. unfortunately the EU has messed with this system & now set lower minimum standards, when what we really need is something like the cars N-Cap ratings.

I normally replace an undamaged helmet after ten years or sooner if parts/lining get a bit rough. It also depends on how often you use it. If kept in the dark, to avoid UV effects & used randomly on sunny Sundays, then they will last a lot longer than one that is used everyday for a long period, exposed to sun, wet, seat & general wear & tear.

In the end it's your head, do you feel lucky today ? I've never seen old helmets tested, so maybe that's something else we need where every 2 years a well used helmet gets tested as per new, until it fails for an age related issue.

16. brucevfr

brucevfr New Member

What's to laugh about? All that and more are available in the Lockheed Martin F-35 helmet. Problem solved.

17. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Why will not the mfr re-pack my un-damaged helmet? The plastic will last 10,000 years if I don't drop it...just put a new liner in it. This is sure a money maker.

18. jojobeans

jojobeans New Member

the rule of thumb I've heard is similar to what everyone is saying, but can't place where I heard this could very well be from a mfg'r web site, after any drop of more than 5 feet, or if the shell is in anyway compromised. Then 5 years based on UV exposure, etc etc. As far as a HUD helmet, check out this one, not everything but damn close, http://fusar.com/

19. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Jojo...now that my friend would be very cool... $$...and a + she sounds hot........perv, I know...

20. jojobeans

jojobeans New Member

they are still taking beta testers riders, fill out a application, who knows may get a shot at the helmet for free