Fairing fitment or Wrong Decals

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by RRJV, Oct 18, 2014.

1. RRJV

RRJV New Member

United States
    Map
    I just bought a 2000 VFR and got it home last night. I didn't notice the decal on the fairing until today though, where it says "V4 VTEC". I know the VIN is correct and the year is correct, but I'm a little confused by the decal. I'm not sure if someone had replaced the fairing and placed the wrong decal on it or what. I haven't checked the engine number, but I'm pretty sure it's not VTEC because I can hear the gear driven cams. The bike only has 3380 miles on it, and it all looks original other than the exhaust, footpegs, and heli bars. It looks like there is a little yellow over spray on the bottom of the headlight, but the paint matches very well if it has been repainted. Any helpful advice or ideas are welcome!

Thanks!
    IMG_0280.jpg

2. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    First off, congrats on the new purchase and Welcome to the WORLD. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say welcome and hope you enjoy the new bike as much as the rest of us. Not that their is much worry over that mind you. LOL.

On on the topic of stickers I can offer this. The VTEC bikes started in 2002 so it is unlikely you have a VTEC powered bike. The gear drive cams produce quite the noticable whine and as you mentioned the proper noise is there. To the best of my knowledge the yellow VFR's were only available for 98-99 model years so if you own a 2000 VFR then one of two things may have happened. Previous owner swapped out the plastics because they preferred the yellow color or the stock fairings may have been repainted (you mention yellow overspray on the lower part of the headlight). The Honda decal just above the turn signal and on the lower portion of the side cowl by the "VFR" decal is not stock as I recall, nor is the decal on the side of the solo cowl. Chances are the PO just like d to add stickers and took the liberty of adding a few extras.

Nice looking machine you have there and I'm sure there are those who will chime in soon to regale you with the tale that Yellow VFR's are indeed the fastest. :)

Enjoy the new bike and keep her shiny side up.

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    For pix of "your" bike in factory USA trim, try Google Images.

For tech stuff, download the PDF of the shop manual. Other sources are microfiche renderings of various systems found at several parts suppliers.

4. yellow99

yellow99 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Welcome to the site.

Yours is 100% not a VTEC VFR. It's either an FiX or Fiy and there's a sticker under the seat with the paint code that'll tell you. Looks like it's a decal swap after a paint job or merely someone who wanted to 'big up' his bike - in the same way people put 'turbo' stickers on weedy cars!.

Looks like a very nice example and still has its original exhaust. If you get 5 minutes have a look at the collector box for rust - they all go. Despite its low mileage it may still be a problem if condensation has been allowed to collect there and rot it through. There's a bolt missing from your rear cowl (under the hump) so it might be an idea to replace it ti stop the plastic moving about.

Here's some pics of my equally yellow fix:
    http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/Yellow99/library/?sort=3&page=1

Can you post some more pics?

5. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Another possibility is that you've got an aftermarket fairing kit on there. I've seen (on eBay) kits to fit the VFR 98-2001 model where they have "VFR VTEC" on the front cowl and "800RR" on the tail. If the parts are genuine OEM parts I would expect the Honda part number should be embossed somewhere on the inside.

From your pictures, I think there are quite a few non-standard stickers, the three "HONDA" words are non standard, the only place that word should appear is on the top rear of the tail. The side cowls should have "Interceptor" plus PGM-FI and Dual CBS on a standard US model.